American Loop - TAT and TCAT united for Adventure Happiness

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Maikel65535, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Maikel65535

Maikel65535 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While i did mostly maintenance in California my first touristic highlight in the States was Las Vegas. It was truly annoying to refuse the strip clubs all the time. I definitely came for the lights, what you can easily see in my pictures. All made without tripod and a prime lens.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No its not Arches NP even if it shows one. It's the statepark ValleyofFire. Thank you for the recommendation to my mate Oliver definitly some nice impressions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after the virgin river i went to Payson to got the connector for my rear fuel tank that i broke a few days before. On the way back was brycecanyon nationalpark luckily you cannont smell that some of these viewpoints smelled like a public toilet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

when i've seen the "watch out for wildlife" signs at brycecanyon nationalpark I didn't really expected to see animals. These two seemed to be used to the crowd of people.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

after bryce I drove to zionnationalpark it was rainy and the map mentioned the unpaved roads are impassable when wet. I've also seen the pictures of a friend struggling in that clay. So i stayed on the main road through the park and buried my plan to ride a MTB were the red bull rampage takes place
    [​IMG][​IMG]

sometimes i curse my thirst for challenges. The road to Mt. Trumbull was barely passable to that point but i couldn't resist to follow a trail to a viewpoint that was just marke with "hard". I finally ended up with taking the luggage of and turn around. While hiking back i found that piece of mud that i accidently placed on top of a stone, how likely is that? I also seen caterpillars making it through my track. These small things let me smile again until i found myself stuck under the bike. That was also the point where i stopped taking pictures of the bike lying on the ground. I was just happy to have my small husqvarna701 with anything bigger a solo traveller would had been stucked.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG] the reward for the mud battle was the GrandCanyon. The best, I had it just for myself two hours! The sandwich which is exactly the same than on the days before, tasted somehow totally different, better, like success.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

i also found a nice campspot outside of the park. What a magic evening.
    [​IMG]

Currently I'm near Pentiction close the Okanagan Lake. Enjoy again my Campfire and take beautiful pictures of the sunset. I'm already looking forward to share them with you stay tuned. Also Oliver will join me next Weekend in Calgary. Soo the LoM Team is united again soon :wings
  2. BruceT

BruceT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    on your way to Calgary there are some great views along the Ice Field parkway...Banff can be overloaded with tourists this time of year but it has great vistas in the area....enjoy your ride and watch for lots of mountain sheep and sometimes elk on the roads through that area...thebigger problem with that are the tourist drivers that stop on a dime in front of you to take a photo while still on the road :(
    Maikel65535 likes this.
  3. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    Thank you @BruceT I do my routeplanning right at the moment and try to consider your hints.
    BruceT likes this.
  4. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    it took a while until i decided how to share the video snippets that I shared already on our Instagram Channel. You get now whole Texas in one Youtube Clip. I didn't wanted to make a TV Series like Videolog like other travellers do it. I try to put 1 minute highlights together that tell a short story or give at least a good impression. Would be cool if you would give me some feedback how you like it.

@SlowMovinDream do you recognise your fender :-)

Stay tuned the ones from Mexico, South West USA are close to finish too.
    BruceT and LC8TY like this.
  5. SlowMovinDream

SlowMovinDream Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Oddometer:
    Hey Maikel . I’ve been away for awhile . Nice update and yes I recognize the fender . You must have stabilized the footage. Looks good. Good job with the video . Short highlights are the way to go. My favorite scene is the lizard crossing the road just before you fly by . You got really lucky with that shot . Top notch director kinda $hite there .
    I came up over a steep hill like that once in the woods . From below it had the illusion of solid flat ground at the top
    But when I reached the top there was nothing there but down and very steep . My bike and I were literally balanced at the top on the skid plate with both wheels in the air. I thought about it for a few seconds and then just leaned forward and continued almost straight down.
    Looks like your having a good time out there. What a great view of the Grand Canyon. I look forward to your next update and video . Be safe and ride far .
    Maikel65535 likes this.
  6. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    @SlowMovinDream it needed several tries to make something usable out of the Videos. It was not just the shaking of the Bike the mount was loose to. I throw it away meanwhile. What you describe sounds more scary than my situation. That hill was very sandy and soft so slowing down wasn't very difficult.

to complete the old Videos here is Mexico

Right now I'm near Yorkton Canada and have a smaller Problem with my Notebook. I have to send it in for Service to HP and need a Adresse preferable near Thunder Bay to recieve it again. Anyone can help me with this?
  7. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    with a passion for photographie i'm always addicted to places with interesting light conditions. Therefore i couldn't miss the antelope canyon even if i had to wait a day the guided tour.
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

while i was camping at the navajo national monument i meet the impressive Carola and had a long nice conversation in german again. I'm so happy that i followed her recommendations isn't the valley of the gods isn't it gorgeous?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the second recommendation Carola gave me was the gooseneck canyon. Sadly i couldn't follow the others because they were too far off my route. But I'm happy that I follwed these.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Monument Valley made it a bit more difficult to stop and take good pictures. So i decided to give them a bit dynamic with shooting them while riding.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

the Black Canyon of the gunnison got its name from the small amount of light that gets into that steep canyon. I stopped there more accidently because close to it was a nice free campspot.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Unfortunately, the Imogene Pass in Colorado was not passable like most other TAT highlights in the region. The amount of snow this year is unfortunately above average.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

at the moment I'm in Pittsburgh and will head back to the Ottawa Region Next week before heading out for the Mid Atlantic BDR :-)
    Proud Highway, bkendig76 and chudzikb like this.
  8. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    The Part "South West" needs now just the Snippets to complete the Story. Some tricky Sand in Arizona, the nice road through Zion, tricky mud again in Arizona made a few of the nice stiuations from the trails we all hate while we conquer them and love when looking back.

Right now I'm in Columbus Ohio and will head towards Canada again via Indianapolis, Detroit and Toronto from tomorrow on.
  9. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    Before i continue with the journey i want to look back again to the Bike Build. You can find the full Report on our Website too
    English Report: http://bit.ly/2lEhdUb
    German Report: http://bit.ly/2lzlmJ3

We mostly installed parts from the Husqvarna Accesories or Power Parts. If no supplier is mentioned it's always Husqvarna.
    [​IMG]
    Installing the foam filter. Easy to clean and reoil. I don't wanted to change the stock airbox because the intake is much higher than with aftermarket solutions

[​IMG]
    Comparison Stock and Rally pegs. Nice and comfortable but also more difficult to get around.

[​IMG]
    Radiator Guard

[​IMG]
    Dongle for Frontwheel only ABS definitly one of the best Items you can install on a Husky 701

[​IMG]
    Some bling bling

[​IMG]
    7mm larger Brake pedal step plate. It could still be a bit bigger but it's already better than stock.

[​IMG]
    5mm longer Gear shift lever tip. M uch easier shifting especially because the tanks are so wide.

[​IMG]
    Nice HQV blue breather hoses. Fits better to our decals than the yellow ones supplied by Aurora.

[​IMG]
    Heated Grips for use under the stock grips.

[​IMG]
    Pulling Strap

[​IMG]
    Handguard

[​IMG]
    Fork bleeder Valves

[​IMG]
    The most essential item the Side Stand extension plate

[​IMG]
    the Aftermarketpart on the picture will soon be replaced by the new Husqvarna Part

[​IMG]
    Cobra Nemo Chain Oiling System (Supplier Polo Motorrad)

[​IMG]
    XTrig Preload Adjuster (Supplier Execptional Suspension Products)

[​IMG]
    The Enduro Mirrors on the Picture are already replaced with the more stable Adventure Version (Supplier Double Take Mirrors)

If you have additional Questions to these parts check the mentioned report on the website or feel free to ask.

Currently I'm with Oliver in Trenton Ontario and we will head for the MABDR by the End of next Week.
  10. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    One of the few must on my bucket list was visiting Greg and Paige. I just mentioned my plan American Loop when I shared a rallykit overview in the Husqvarna 701 Enduro group on Facebook and Greg directly invited me to his place. We stayed in contact via Social Media since that time and my impression of that inspiring couple was just confirmed when I meet them in person. On the second day of my stay I hardly could believe that Greg offered me to ride his KTM 450 EXC on some trails, but of course I couldn't refuse that.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    After my visit at Gregs place we continued together along the Trans America Trail via Wyoming, Idaho to Oregon. Our first riding day in Wyoming was very unspectacular, most of the time it was endless open country.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Can you find Greg on this Picutre?
    [​IMG]

the best about riding through nowhere all day long are the campspots.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Today was our first day along the MABDR a lot of "No Trespassing" signs and no Wildcamping today. Hope that changes and we don't have to stay in Motels all the time like here in Hancock Maryland.
    bkendig76 and pip_muenster like this.
  11. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    A single Spot and our first look on Idaho on the trip.
    [​IMG]

It's definitly fun to travel with someone who has the patience for photos and enjoys them. Can't be more obvious than in those 3 pictures of Greg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is how it looks like if Greg provides the perfect wheelie and the photographer ruins the wheeliewednesday picture. Sorry for that Greg
    [​IMG]

Idaho offered a lot more variety in the landscape and surprised us even with snowfields.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

trust me these pictures needed some time but it's amazing what you can do with the remote control app for my camera
    [​IMG][​IMG]

before we camped in craters of the moon I had a closer look on kings bowl. Very impressive and the lava cave brought back some memories to my iceland tour with Oliver
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

the way back to our camp I hoped to get a better shot of what scared us already. At least this buddy reminded me to wear my boots and use a light when i go out to pee in the night. Even with that risk our campsite was just amazing[​IMG][​IMG]

The next Morning Greg was in the mod for some stunts again. A rock formed a ramp for this great jump. Just a couple of minutes later we stopped for a short break and followed a crack in the lavafield and found another rattlesnake. Number 3 on that Trip
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thats it for now. Currently I stay in Memphis Tennessee. The Loop will be closed soon :-)
    td63, mbanzi, bkendig76 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    From time to time I need to visit something otherwise I would feel too ignorant about the surroundings I'm riding through. When a guy told us that we are close to the first nuclear reactor in the world I was curious. EBR1 is not active anymore and you don't have to worry about a green glow. That didn't fit to the people that worked here, many of them suffered on radiation sickness. It's a museum today and you most likely see more details than in an active power plant.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

These are both Prototyps for aircraft engines. These ones are from the Aircraft Nuclear Propulsion program which was terminated by J.F.Kennedy in 1961. When you stand in front of these prototypes that are high as a house you struggle to believe that they ever would have fitted into a plane that is still able to fly.[​IMG][​IMG]

The destination of Gregs and my common ride was the UnRally this event is organised by Mosko Moto and Roel Bremmers was so kind to tell me about it. From all motorcycle meetings I ever attended it was definitely the most crazy one. The Party seemed to be endless. The location in the Alvord desert in Oregon is a dry lake and flat as a pancake. The only disadvantage it's dusty so don't be confused of people walking around with goggles all day. Increases the feeling of the Mad Max scenario. A big thank you to the Mosko Team for organizing that cool event.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The highlight at the UnRally was definitly the riding. The end of the Video shows impressive how you crack a radiator on a 701. Luckily my new friends trailered the Bike to Salem where Mat gave me a home and i could exchange the broken part.

It was so great that Mike welcomed me and Greg and soon his friends became our friends too. He and Mat guided the group to several nice places were these pictures are from. Sadly not more, damn these guys were riding fast.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

still in Memphis arranging spareparts tires etc. to make the bike ready for :ricky central america
    td63, Ikeya-Seki and mbanzi like this.
  13. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    Last Chapter in the USA before i continued to Canada.

Sadly i crashed my radiator at the UNRally in Oregon. Luckily my new friend Mat offered me shelter until the spare part arrived. After i left him my next destination were the dunes at the beach of Oregon. Sand Lake OHV Park. It was a hint of my friend Sayan and one of the top points on my bucket list. I never was riding so high dunes or deep sand before, but I loved it even after I got stucked in something what is described best as quicksand. That is how I love beach holidays.
    [​IMG]

Difficult to find out for you what is so special about these signs. It's simple my Last name is Hoh
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Of course I did not just take pictures of the signs, I also visited the Hoh Rainforest and the Hoh River. Sad that one couldn't find any information about the indian tribe that gave these places its name.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I arrived at Jeremys place in the pouring rain to pick up my new rear tire, he invited me directly to try a Rabaconda in the dry. I have never changed a tire so fast. He and his wife Shay invited me directly to spend the night in their camper. The nice conversation did not end and so was on the next day just time to drive from Tacoma to Seattle.
    [​IMG]

People have often been assumed that I have a bird, right. (It’s common in German to say a bird lives in the head of a crazy person which is shortened to “he has a bird”)
    [​IMG]

Thats it so far from the Western USA. Next chapter will be Canada but i haven't finished the editing the pictures yet. But you can't say i was lazy the bike got new tires and some other upgrades while I stayed at a friends place in Houston. I left there yesterday and crossed the border sucessfully today. Right now I'm close to Monterry and look forward to some nice mexican mountain roads :-)
    mbanzi and td63 like this.
  14. SlowMovinDream

SlowMovinDream Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Oddometer:
    Hey Maikel. Wow - you have covered a lot of ground and ridden some tough and beautiful terrain. Glad you are having a great trip. I really enjoy the videos and updates. So you have already been through Canada and looped back through Houston and now back in Mexico ? I hear those roads through the mountains south of Monterrey are some of the best in North America. Keep on keeping on and thanks for the updates. Someday I hope to do the same. You are an inspiration.
    Maikel65535 likes this.
  15. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    @SlowMovinDream Yes right now I'm already in Guatemala and want to check out the mountains there tomorrow.

There are no more pictures of the the Western USA left but still some Video snippets to share. My highlights were definitly the Rideouts with Greg in Colorado and with Mat in Oregon. Both guys really made me feel at home so far away from home thank you for so much confidence to let me ride your bikes.

At the Moment I'm in Guatemala and will head down to Panama until middle of Dezember. The Bike will go into a plane there and the next chapter will be written on a different continent. So if somebody is around in central america the next weeks let me now I'm always pleased to meet up.