American made dirtbike project! (Cannondal-ATK)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Michelangelo, May 11, 2010.

1. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
    Say hello to the newest American Made addition to my harom. 2006 ATK 450XC, also known as the Cannondale C440.

Truely innovative for it's time (2002/2003 when they first came out) and still now, it features:
    Fuel Injection.
    Seperate engine and tranny oil.
    Engine oil carried in it's frame with handy sight glass and drain holes in frame.
    Gas tank that extends underneath the seat with airfilter in the center of the tank with straight shot down to the FI. You may have seen this copied by Husaberg recently.
    Ohlins suspension.
    Straight shot rear exiting exhaust, also copied by Yamaha's new bike.

On this thread I'll post pics and details of my build-up project. I'm not partial to the blue plastic and will trading it out for Cannondale silver that has slightly shorter rad. shrouds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steering stabilizer is a must for this race and play bike. Here I lucked out and found my XR650R Scott's topmount bar clamp stabilizer mount fit perfectly!
    [​IMG]

Very unique. Gas tank that extends underneathe the seat with a hold for airfilter/airbox that covers Fuel Injection!
    [​IMG]
    T
    he engine oil is carried partially in the frame. Check out the sight glass and the allen headed drain plug. Cool. It has seperate tranny and engine oil.
    [​IMG]

Ohlins shock. Note allen headed frame spar drain plug. Stainless steel rear brake lines, stock.
    [​IMG]
  2. r00t4rd3d

r00t4rd3d ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    Nice. Watching for sure !

:deal
  3. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saweet!:clap
  4. The Mass

The Mass Timbuktu or Bust... Both!

Oddometer:
    Without a breather at the rear of the tank or a link pipe to the front high spot, there will always be an airlock in the rear ( unless it has so much power that it is always on the back wheel).
    Love to ride one though :ricky
    Cheers
    Mass
  5. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    I'm glad that you are enjoying your bike, but you do know that this was universally slammed by reviews and responsible for driving Cannondale bankrupt, right?

In any case, points for originality.
  6. LongCliff

LongCliff Bagger

Oddometer:
    I remember when these came out. I never rode one, but read a lot about them. They looked so good on paper, but they drove people nuts with fuel injection problems. They would cut out for no reason in the middle of nowhere, leaving riders stranded - run like crap sometimes, run great other times.

I wonder if cannondale ever got the FI sorted out? If you can get it right, should be an awesome bike! :D
  7. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    And the frame which was copied from a CR250 pushed through turns, the oil in the frame tended to boil riders thighs, getting to the air filter required an almost dis-assembly of the engine, power was anemic, suspension was way too soft etc etc.

This bike pisses me off because Cannondale was a great homegrown American bicycle company back in the 90s when I was an avid cyclist. I rode a custom 3.0 frame for years.

Cannondale was extremly prevelant on the racing and festival scene as well, especially in New England. (Pedros, Jim Thorpe MTN bike weekend, etc) The fact that this monstrosity was one of the main reasons they went under gives it a special place in my heart....you know, the place with the bad stuff. :ruskie
  8. prowler1

prowler1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did Cannondale really go under? I thought they were still making bicycles....
  9. subybaja

subybaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb

10. Lumpyboy

Lumpyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man, this guy posts his project and gets slammed. Not really cool in my opinion but I guess no forum is for the faint of heart. I will offer some encouragement by noting that after ATK bought out Cannondale's dirt bike line, ATK performed a host of fixes to cure the more material issues that plagued the bike. ATK also came out with a dedicated supermoto version of the 450. There are a number of Cannondale owners who are quite happy with the bike and have no problems with them. There are a number of forums dedicated to the Cannondale/ATK bike. Cannondale went bankrupt b/c it could not meet demand, not because its bikes were poorly made. I do not and have never owned a Cannondale btw.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  11. subybaja

subybaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not meaning to slam the bike...it's just sad that Cannondale got zombied.

That bike does have some pretty interesting thinking.

I'm curious how that tank works too, unless the pics aren't showing a vent.
  12. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Super cool bike, I nearly bought one for a song this spring, but didn't have a place to put it (or really the cash for it).
  13. jonnyw

jonnyw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I came real close to buying a 02 recently very low hours for $1700 with the top shelf billet Ohlins all arouind. And really did my research. The cutoff problem was a bad momentary kill switch(weak spring)-fixed with a slide on/off switch and a intermittent ground -fixed with a star washer. I even heard it said that Cannodales finacial troubles could have been fixed with 5 cent star washer:rofl The fuel injection is dam near bullet proof. Every one just assumed it was the problem. Dam those intermittent electrical gremlins. There is a air pocket in the rear of the v-tank. The cure is $2 piece of 1/2 inch poly tubing like for ice machines and such. You cut a 37'(?) piece and put it in the tank. It curves up to the back and allows air to exit out the front. The engine design is awesome-cassette tranny and all. But dam if you thought a 640 with a wallered out bearing is noisey the Cannondale sounds like it gonna grenade at any second!! I assume it due to the gears instead of timing chain-but again bullet proof design. Parts are very available thru Blackwidow(the guru on thses things),ATK and the website Cannondaler.com. Give Dave(?) at Blackwidow a call he can hook you up with some pointers. He literrally has been building these full time for 7 years now. Good luck with the bike.
  14. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    You're correct, there were several electrical gremlins, water pump cover/impeller and main bearing issues, all updated by ATK. My bike has the updated start/stop switch and battery tender leads on new battery.

The thing is trick but very tall and the seat is hard. I'll fix most of these things and have a very sweet trail/desert bike.

It's actually Brad at Black Widow racing here in Utah, where the ATK factory is located. And there is Dave M. "Canni Boomer" who stocks nearly everything and is a wealth of knowledge.

Stay tuned....
  15. LongCliff

LongCliff Bagger

Oddometer:
    I don't think anybody was slamming him. The bike was technologically advanced for its time, but was also severely flawed and resulted in the destruction of cannondale. That's just the facts - And it's those facts that make the bike so interesting. It's a historically significant machine.

As long as we continue to grow, Humanity's reach will frequently exceed its grasp, as was clearly the case with this bike. Tragedy is often more interesting than success, as it's something we can all relate to.

If he can get the bugs worked out, I'd much rather take a ride on his cannondale than an xr400, even though the xr400 is a much more successful bike.
  16. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    apparently you didn't read the post or know much about atk/dales.

ATK took Cannondales stock and fixed the problems. Thus...they are now good, reliable, advanced bikes.
  17. LongCliff

LongCliff Bagger

Oddometer:
    I don't think I said anything inconsistent with the above?
  18. hobie1dog

hobie1dog Not a Sheeple

Oddometer:
    I just bought a brand new left-over 2003 There are a dozen or so upgrades including a new main crank bearing that when performed gives you 160 or so reliable hours on the engine. I like it because it's a unique bike. Kinda neat to show up with something other than the big 4 Jap bikes too. And I like the looks of them.:D
    [​IMG]

They sound awesome..like an old Can Am car from the 70's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOYYTYZqgOo&feature=related

The crank assembly comes out without having to split any cases. You can see the cassette style transmission on the RH side of the photo
    [​IMG]

The source of the extra "noise", straight cut gears
    [​IMG]

Looks pretty good in Supermoto trim
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. subybaja

subybaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    :eek1 160hrs X 60mph = 9600 miles of reliability? Is this a motocross thing, or what? How is that good?

Not slamming, just confused.
  20. hobie1dog

hobie1dog Not a Sheeple

Oddometer:
    Normally, no dirt bike is going to be run constantly at 60MPH. I've never watched a video posted on the web or watched anyone riding a dirt bike that averages much over 20 mph....all woods and trail riding is done at relatively slow speeds through the trees, hills, streams, rocks, etc. Take a radar gun to a motocross track and you'll see how slow they go compared to being on the highway...lots of slow turns, whoops, etc.

Just install an hour meter on your bike and report back how many hours you put on your motor in one year. Everybody should do this...let's everybody report back with their figures...now you have my curiosity on how much the average is. In fact, I'll start a new thread just for this to see the results. For me, 160 hours will be the next 5 years of riding...LOL...literally, that's 30 hours a year. As one guy stated, " We ride for an hour, then take a 1/2 hour break"