American made dirtbike project! (Cannondal-ATK)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Michelangelo, May 11, 2010.

1. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    I have nothing against ATK per sae and almost bought one but the fact that this bike was widely regarded as the downfall for Cannondale the American Bicycle company is.....sad.

Best of luck on your project....as I said originally, huge points for doing something different.
  2. subybaja

subybaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like I said- must be a motocross thing.

If I only get 10K out of the 685cc I put on my KLR two years ago, I'll be pissed. Riding to Alaska and TDF is a pretty different use though, I guess.

Just looked at the OP- no signals or light.

Nevermind. :D
  3. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
    Cannondale isn't dead. They are still alive and building bicycles!! I wish you guys would stop saying they're dead.

http://www.cannondale.com/

Please keep this post for Cannondale/ATK bike pics and not argueing over what's good and what's not.
  4. Snoopjonnyjon

Snoopjonnyjon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice bike, and I really don't understand why people act like these are some sort of an orphan bike. They are STILL in current production. If I were buying a new bike today it would be an ATK.... although I'd probably go for the 700 Intimidator :D .
  5. funmachines

funmachines Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are a tall guy, ride wide open trails and like to do all the work on your own bikes they can be fun. You can pick them up cheap, do the required fixes and have something unique and capable.

Before all the problems were found and fixes identified they soured a lot of people and Cannondale went chapter 11. Sort of a classic case of releasing a product before it was ready...
  6. jonnyw

jonnyw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They only built a few in 09. They are useing the left over stock is what I have been told. But you can find new/near new Cannondales for under 2k. The ATK are 10k for the same damn bike only blue. Yes there new ones still out. Just saw one advertised in NC recently when I was lookig at them. Now that I have my 640 Adventure I would like a Cannondale just to play with. The best designed motor ever produced for a dirt bike in my opinion.
  7. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
  8. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    i ride a 605 ATK,,, dont know much about the cannondale/ATK era bikes but based on mine if they were making a 600-650 today it would be of interest to me.
  9. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    Got my silver plastics in today: except fender and front number plate still waiting to purchase those.

This pic shows the before and after of trimming the sidepanel number plates.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just a pic to show you how dang skinny this bike is! Very nice.
    [​IMG]

A Scott's top one-piece stabilizer mount from my XR650R mounted up perfectly.
    [​IMG]

My goal here is to tidy up the mess of hoses and wires on the right side. Here you can see the two blue hoses which are oil return lines. I used a blue protective/mesh type material to give it some color. I've got the 2 larg rad hoses out getting copied so I can get some colored blue or whatever color, hoses reproduced.
    [​IMG]

What else is there to say?
    [​IMG]
  10. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    Silver plastics get some blue Cannondale stickers.
    [​IMG]
    And handguards.
    [​IMG]
  11. hobie1dog

hobie1dog Not a Sheeple

Oddometer:
    Looking good, where did you get the silver acerbis hand guards? None of the normal catalogs have silver as a color option.
  12. Big Jake McCandles

Big Jake McCandles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the "real" cannondale is dead... went from being the shit and entirely handmade in bedford, pa to being bankrupt and the name sold to the guys that own schwinn, mongoose etc etc and are being mass produced in the orient. the cannondales now are just cheap imitations with the same name. very sad. a buddy of mine use to work there in the moto department, and another one did the test riding for them. he said they were very nice motorcycles but not worth twice what a jap bike was. awesome thread and keep up the good work!
  13. Michelangelo

Oddometer:

I got them on ebay for like $40! Unfortunately I still need the mounting kit for it, another $42!
  14. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    That's exactly what I remember. Cannondale were awesome, handmade "custom" bikes without the Lightspeed or Merlin price. It was also the best aluminum frame you could buy, bar none. No one worked aluminum like Cannondale did.

Pretty much all bicycles nowadays GT, Schwinn, Cannondale, Trek, Giant, etc all come out of the same factory in China.

Back on topic....I am enjoying this thread regardless of the history of the bike. Keep up the good work!
  15. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:
    I had no idea the bicycles were now made in China.

I guess I'll hang on to my mid nineties Super V after all.

Love the motorcycle too btw. :clap
  16. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    The Cannondale gets a custom front numberplate, Acerbis handguards and new front fender for a more modern look.
    Also not pictured: DID gold chain, Maxxis IT tire and bicycle computer. Not to mention quick -push fork bleeders and new Guts Racing seat foam and new seat cover. Coming soon.

OH wait...my colored radiator hoses still have come back from being custom made. DOH.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    C-dale started hemmoraging $$ trying to compete with the Japs. Too heavy to be a MX bike and something else wrong to be either a DS or Enduro bike. :norton

There's an ATK thread somewhere in here too...

I'd recommend contacting the factory in Utah for the bits that need updating to keep the thing from grenading.

G'luck!

M
  18. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    This bike is, on paper, an ATK 450XC. Which means it's a Cannondale that ATK has done all the updates on to include: crank, water pump, FI, suspension...etc...

All the bits that Cannondale had problems with have been fixed.
    [​IMG]
  19. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Nope. C-dale as a separate company is dead. D.E.D. dead. They got sold to a conglomerate that builds everything in Asia. There *may* be some bikes still built here, but as an American Company, they're dead.

Buh-bye.

When they first got sold, I heard over and over 'we won't change anything.' Now? Bikes built in Asia. How's THAT for 'keeping things the same?!'

M
    I just sold my 96 605 or I'd still be posting up in the Compleat ATK thread. GREAT place for this discussion...
  20. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    Apparently you don't read posts. In the first page of this build-up it describes the ATK bike I'm calling a Cannonale, as well as other "experts" on Cannondale bicycles and motorcycles giving their expertise.