American made dirtbike project! (Cannondal-ATK)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Michelangelo, May 11, 2010.

1. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Temper temper there tough guy!

Keep this up and we'll end up in the basement!

:D

M
  2. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Solo con rambo

Oddometer:
    Yes well...five people just told him the same thing. Why not let the guy have a thread without all the extra eh? Pretty sure we all know enough about the history of Cannondale now.

I like these bikes, I never knew much about them but they are interesting none the less. That video of the sound was very cool! Its nice to see a thread about one of them that someone actually owns. Seems to be all the info I could find on them were just a bunch of guys talking about them.
  3. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
    The first step in many to modding a bicycle computer for use on my Cannondale. This is a basic Nashbar computer that will show: odometer, avg speed, speed..etc...

This is the sensor that normally gets ziptied to the mt bike's fork. I ground down the mounts to make it bullet shaped. I then slipped a rubber sleeve over it so it would fit snug in a 3/8 inch all-weather cable mount. The I drilled and tapped my brake caliper and mounted it.

Lucky enough, the magnet that mounts onto the bicycle's spoke wheel actually fits on my Cannondale's spoke. I will epoxy or JB weld it to make sure that it doesn't come loose.

Finally, I have to solder in about a foot more wire to make it reach the computer which is handlebar mounted. 22 guage wire should do the trick.
    [​IMG]
  4. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    Ordered Guts racing Comfort Soft seat foam for CRF450R 2005-2008. It's a close enough fit but will require some wittling to get it to mate up perfect. That's why I have a good upholsterer in Mike Harris of WVC, UT.

The white is the CRf seat foam and it's PLUSH, very nice. The yellow is the stock, hard, brick like Cannondale crap and of course the Cannondale seat pan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. hobie1dog

hobie1dog Not a Sheeple

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics of the seat foams side by side. Can you give us the Guts Racing information ( part numbers?). That's the first thing I thought of changing when I threw the leg over the bike....like Holy Sh!t this seat is like concrete. So there's a huge difference in comfort?
  6. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    Those are some great prices on those bikes, plus the engine! wish I hadn't recently lost my job.

Seat Foam COMFORT STYLE Soft
    Product ID: 3533

Category: HONDA
    Price: $59.90
  8. hobie1dog

hobie1dog Not a Sheeple

Oddometer:
    They describe the soft foam seat, as like the old Honda XR seat....that would be great to have a Cannondale with a comfy seat, instead of that slab of steel with a seat cover over it like that stock one.:D
  9. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    Motion Pro fork bleeders.
    [​IMG]

Zeta fork cap.
    [​IMG]

Cockpit side view.
    [​IMG]

Bicycle computer all hooked up.
    [​IMG]

Anodized bling.
    [​IMG]

Rear fender.
    [​IMG]

Blinged brake hose clamp.
    [​IMG]

1.6 bar radiator cap.
    [​IMG]

Rear end showing new Maxxis IT, DID chain and trimmed side panels.
    [​IMG]

Front view.
    [​IMG]

As I said before, now just waiting on custom radiator hoses, seat w/ Guts soft foam and N-style seat cover. Stay tuned...
  10. hobie1dog

hobie1dog Not a Sheeple

Oddometer:
    Looking great. Anxious to see the seat transformation too.:D
  11. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    this pic shows the magnet/sensor mounted on my front spoke. I used some JB weld in there for added stick-on. I had to add 2 additional Rare-Earth magnets onto the stock magnet to make it reach close to the sensor that was mounted onto the caliper. Works perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still waiting on my seat though.
  12. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pull all of those stickers off your bike (unless you're sponsored by them of course), it will look a lot cleaner. :lol3
  13. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    Project Cannondale is nearly completion. I now finally have a plush seat. I had my upholstery guy mod some Guts Racing soft seat foam from a 03-05 CRF450R, along with a Troy Lee Designs Sette gripper seat cover in blue. Nice eh?
    The only thing left are my custom blue radiator hoses.

I should mention I got the "comfort foam" for the CRF. It's a little wider and cushier than stock CRF, size wise. A good thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for any of you out there looking for colored radiator hoses for the Cannondale/ATK bikes and quads I found this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-colored-radiator-hoses-Cannondale-ATK-dirtbi-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f458d15fQQitemZ300452204895QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    Missing and final piece to my bike: colored hoses. Cell phone pic so not that great.
    [​IMG]
  15. hobie1dog

hobie1dog Not a Sheeple

Oddometer:
    The seat turned out looking great. How is the comfort level now that you've ridden on it?

Also, do you think that the stock seat cover on a Cannondale X440 would work with the Guts Racing foam? I have a picture of it back a couple of pages.

And, did you install handlebar riser blocks? I want to raise the fork tubes in the clamps to lower the front end....the bike is just too tall for me. I also need to get a 18" rear wheel instead of my 19".....we measured today the E440 with the 18" tire and my X440 with the 19" and there is 1 full inch of circumference smaller with the 18" ( 1/2" overall drop in the rear )

Thanks,
    Marty
  16. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    No I didn't put riser blocks on the handlebars. If I do anything I'll get some CR High bars. i want to keep stock mounts so I can keep my steering stabilizer top bar mount. I did also drop the forks in the clamps an inch to help lower the bike and will work on rear preload to try and accomplish the same.

Not sure about the stock seat cover fitting the crf450r foam. it'll be close. I've not had a chance to ride the bike yet, as I've been out of town so much. Hopefully this week I can get it out. I can already feel the difference sitting on the bike with the Guts foam and I've got the soft Guts on all my bikes and it's a world of difference.
  17. hobie1dog

hobie1dog Not a Sheeple

Oddometer:
    Do you know if there are other riser blocks that will fit the Cannondale/ATK models? and....

When you got the stock height model foam, does it feel like you are sitting lower in the bike?
  18. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    The seat foam I have is CRF450R comfort foam. I'm guessing only that it's close to stock CRF450R foam. I can't tell the diff from the Cannondale seat foam height, other than it gives a bit cause it's softer.

As far as handlebar risers...the handlebar mounts are the same as most mx bikes, where they bolt into the top of the triple clamp seperately. you can find pretty much any type of riser to work.
  19. Michelangelo

Oddometer:
    Hoses are great. Even better on my first extended ride is my Guts Racing seat foam. It feels like a cushy marshmallow on my bony butt. Probably the best seat foam from Guts i've gotten.

I also traced the problem with the bike cutting out as it had for the previous owner: Rot Box. Turns out a loose plug/wire on the main relay connection.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    Just a few tidbits.
    If I remember right the front brake/axle is straight off a CR250, So pads and rotors are easy to source.
    The engine is not a 12k rpm Honda engine, the atk/dales redline is about 8500 rpm.
    People was tweaking the timing curves trying to compete with Honda/Yamaha etc. then over tach'ing the engines. This was causing excessive side loads on the crank and causing the bearing failure for one, another was actually a terminal flaw in the engine design, I forget what it was now. I too wanted one when they came out. Glad it never happened to be honest now, hindsight is 20/20 right.

ATK bought several truck loads of Cannondale parts from the auction but not the Cannondale name or intellectual rights, those was sold to a China company.
    ATK was buying every used Dale they could find, then slapping ATK vin numbers on them and shipping it out as a "Demo" bikes. I'm sure they make needed upgrades to them, but who knows for sure. I remember something about some of them had a steel sleeve for one model "ATK" and the nikasil cylinder was another. Memory eludes on that one.
    I got a good friend that works at ATK.

Ride it like a KLR and it will last along time. :clap
    Enjoy the ride.