American Missing in Copper Canyon Area

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by TeeVee, Nov 3, 2018.

1. TeeVee

TeeVee His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer:
    i'm copying and pasting this from the HUBB.

https://www.facebook.com/MissingDesa...5867481951919/

I met this guy when I was in Guatemala in 2016. He has a school tutoring business in Charlotte NC. He is very experienced in off the beaten path travel, and speaks Spanish a lot better than I do. I don't know him well, we just went out to the bars in Antigua once and again in San Pedro when we both ended up there.

What I could find on the web, is that his hotel in Urique reported him missing after he went out for a walk Sunday afternoon (Oct. 28, 2018) and never returned, leaving all his stuff in his room. He was supposed to meet his brother in CDMX and never showed. Sure hope he is OK. Keep an eye out and ask around if you are going to be in the area.
    Misery Goat likes this.
  2. Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man Globe Trotter

Oddometer:
    TeeVee, thanks for posting this. Let's hope Patrick is found and is safe.
  3. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Sad news.
  5. GSBruce

GSBruce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why would anyone think it is safe to roam around a corrupt narco state with an active state of general violence going on 24/7? I don't get it. Many don't have any trouble, others are shaken down or worse. This is worse. Thoughts and prayers.
    Steve G. and Solo Gato like this.
  6. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s a classic question, asked almost constantly by those who, as a rule, don’t go roaming around much.

Answers are many, including: because it’s generally quite safe; because your description is nonsense; because you meet a lot of interesting, wonderfully kind people there; because the riding is spectacular; etc. etc. etc. I walked and rode around Urique myself, as have many regular posters here. I even flagged down and asked directions from one of those smoked-glass SUVs. I survived, as do the overwhelming majority; a select few do not, and we hardly ever even find out why.

I’ve had some tense times in your home state of Texas, by the way—threats from locals, threats from cops, threats from your Texas Rangers, people trying to rob me, people throwing stuff at me and daring me to fight. Nothing like that has ever happened to me in Mexico, where I’ve spent more time over the years. What conclusions would you draw?

Mark
    jehu, miguelR, Misery Goat and 13 others like this.
  7. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Any updates?
  8. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The facebook page in the first post will have the latest.
  9. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd like to hear the details about the "threats" from law enforcement in Texas, particularly from the Texas Rangers, which is an investigative arm of state LE. They are essentially investigators and work higher level crimes and incidents. There aren't many of them. I work with them from time to time. They have come to homicides and suspected kidnappings in my city. I can't recall the ones I've worked ever threatening ANYONE. Now, as an innocent MC over lander, what were you doing(or were involved in) to be "threatened" by a Texas Ranger and all these other law officers? We have a Texas Ranger assigned to my city/area. I can pass it along to the local office.
    Traxx, Steve G., Davidprej and 5 others like this.
  10. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve had some tense times in your home state of Texas, by the way—threats from locals, threats from cops, threats from your Texas Rangers, people trying to rob me, people throwing stuff at me and daring me to fight. Nothing like that has ever happened to me in Mexico, where I’ve spent more time over the years. What conclusions would you draw?

Mark[/QUOTE]

I really don't think this is an appropriate thread to rip on the US.
    I love Mexico but you shouldn't promote her, while comparing to any bad experiences in Texas,
    Different set of rules,
    Smiles
  11. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "I'd like to hear the details about the "threats" from law enforcement in Texas, particularly from the Texas Rangers, which is an investigative arm of state LE."

This thread addresses the possible disappearance of a rider in the Unique area. It's not my intention to divert it into a discourse on Texas law enforcement; I was merely addressing a comment by a Texan who couldn't understand why anyone would ride in Mexico. If I did that clumsily, I apologize. Anyone wishing to continue in that vein might consider starting another thread for the purpose, or using private messaging.

My hopes and sympathies to the rider and his friends and family.

Mark
  12. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the weather warning I’ve cancelled my ride that was supposed to start tomorrow that would have put me in Urique on Tuesday
    jfman likes this.
  13. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, makes no sense to put down Texas or anywhere in USA or compare it to the violence that we all know has occurred and is occurring in Mexico every day. That is not to put down the wonderful people in Mexico who are not involved and are the real victims of this violence.

But please don't ignore the try to claim it isn't happening or not widespread.
    Steve G. and builditjr like this.
  14. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You still have time to install heated grips. Lol

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
  15. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:

I can't remember what year it was, but some years back I went to bed at the El Dorado in Ghost Town and overnight a cold front hit West Texas and the greater area. I was out there on the 2006 GSA with the heated grips and I had Warm & Safe heated gloves and the vest. I had to make it back to Cibolo the next day, no option to hunker down. I had the heated gear dialed up to nuclear and layered up and headed out. I remember passing through Alpine north to I-10 and all I could think about was how I was barely warm and if the fuse blew I'd be in trouble. No vest grips or gloves on the wide open 500 and headed into a cold front at Creel elevations - nah, I can easily return in a much better weather window.

Too bad. The route was a counter clockwise route into Sinforosa Canyon and looping through Baboragame to Morelos and to Batopilas to Urique etc. Really wanted to get a sense of what's going on in Urique at the moment, especially in terms of search efforts. Still holding out hope for this man.
  16. TeeVee

TeeVee His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer:
    christ! this is a thread about a missing person and you folks use it to wax nostalgic about bullshit.
  17. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. SilverBullet

Oddometer:
    Everytime this thread gets a post it bumps it to the top. Some users log on and only click new posts not navigating to subforums. If they open this thread they go to post# 1 thereby being informed of this rider's situation. I say post away, bump..bump..bump. The wider audience does nothing but help.
  20. SilverBullet

Oddometer:
    Facebook page has no updates and says the family is getting bombarded with calls and emails so I'm hesitant to inquire but since Patrick was a seasoned traveler I'm surprised that he didn't have a GPS tracking device. Does anyone here know if that has been asked and investigated? Sometimes people carry one for SOS function only or don't like others viewing their tracks so family might not be aware of it.