American wanting to ride east Europe this year.

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by Doogle, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wanted to ride eastern Europe last year, but got shut down because of Covid. I'm just starting to research it again. I would be renting a bike for 4-6 weeks. I hope to be vaccinated this spring if that may help. I don't know if Americans will be allowed in to all countries, or if I will be allowed to leave from Ohio. I'm hoping others have done some traveling there and can share info. And I know policy's can change over night. I missed a year of traveling. Two years in a row would be ridiculous.
    severely and MichaelJ like this.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't expect situation to change at least until late Q2/Q3 therefore plan traveling in states. As is EU don't allow americans in, friend of mine has been stuck in turkey since April. Russia is allowing people but you need to test no more than 48hr prior.

If you are planning 4-6 weeks consider buying bike and selling at the end of the trip; it would be cheaper than paying €100 a day rent. Another option is to fly with your bike on AirCanada, if they have this service this year.

Check Horizons Unlimited forum and especially FB group they usually have more info related to travel
    Doogle, ApexJeff and MichaelJ like this.
  3. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like the EU is having problems with it's vaccine supply which will only delay further when they open up so you might be out of luck, I have an American friend who I was hoping to travel to the EU with this year but it might be the UK only.
    Doogle likes this.
  4. Doogle

Oddometer:
    I thought travel was impossible last year. Then a friend told me he went to Ukraine? last year with his wife.
    Do you know if having the vaccine and proof, would make any difference? I read someone questioning if a person vaccinated could still carry and spread the virus. Doesn't seem plausible to me though. Are Americans still allowed to come to the UK? I gotta go somewhere this year. I don't want my personal suicide rate to go up. Or my wife's either.
  5. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rules here are somewhat chaotic and subject to change, all I hope is my friend can come over in the summer and we can see some of the country, at the moment as I understand it Americans cannot come here without a very good reason.
    Doogle likes this.
  6. slowriding

slowriding Dopeless Hope Fiend

Oddometer:
    Doogle, seems we live in the same area, me = Phoenix. I have traveled most of Europe as far east as area south of Van, Turkey. If you want to meet for a coffee and swap info send me a PM.
  7. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    cyclopathic and MichaelJ like this.
  8. MotoMigrant

MotoMigrant DR650 guru, single track snob, RTW rider

Oddometer:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA or Celje, Slovenia
    American living in Slovenia here. In my opinion this will not happen for you this year, I'm starting to think I'll be lucky if I want to travel outside of SLO this year. The vaccine hasn't even started in EU, the border policies change daily, France just placed harsh restrictions on anyone coming from other EU countries, we have total lockdown right now (can't leave my region in SLO), etc. You could travel but it will involve a lot of covid tests at each border and what if they don't accept the American vaccine or something. At the very least, ask again in May :(
  9. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, you may be 100% correct. Sadly. I'm not giving up hope...yet.
  10. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much. Sounds like first hand knowledge I can trust. I will recheck in May or June when I get home.
    MotoMigrant likes this.
  11. Doogle

Oddometer:
  12. Doogle

Oddometer:
    Sorry I didn't get back to you while I was in Arizona. Back in Ohio now. Just started looking at Europe again and saw your offer. I think there may decent possibilities this fall.
    slowriding and ApexJeff like this.