Americas cup

Discussion in 'Sports' started by sandgroper, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Even Coutts is talking us up. Does he want to come home one day ?
  3. MisterD

MisterD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I note that his old man's Merc dealership is changing its name to "Auckland Mercedes", whatever that signifies.
  4. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    :lol3 The Kiwi paranoia is set at eleven.
  5. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    If Spithill rams our boat, there's going to be a whole new terrorist threat....
  6. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back In Iowa. Quad Cities to be exactish..
    And now the NSA is watching this thread. I'm out. :photog
  7. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah -Nah. Get real.
    Its the result of carefully considered risk analysis of what could possibly go wrong.

Be really good to get back to something like this.

A simple sailboat race with a cup as a trophy.

That Cup is donated upon the condition that it shall be preserved as a perpetual challenge Cup for friendly competition between foreign countries.

Any organized yacht Club of a foreign country, incorporated, patented, or licensed by the legislature, admiralty or other executive department, having for its annual regatta an ocean water course on the sea, or on an arm of the sea, or one which combines both, shall always be entitled to the right of sailing a match for this Cup with a yacht or vessel propelled by sails only and constructed in the country to which the challenging Club belongs, against any one yacht or vessel constructed in the country of the Club holding the Cup......

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Deed_of_Gift
    g®eg likes this.
  8. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Anyone who seriously believes that the US strategy is to ram the Kiwis isn't "carefully considering" risk. They need a tin foil hat. :lol3
  9. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    The media are desperate for us to believe everything they write.
  10. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Hard to believe that Oracle made so many mistakes. very discouraging to throw away the first race like that. Still, finally a win. And a boat that is finally about as fast as New Zealand's. I wonder what change they made to their daggerboard? I couldn't see a difference. (Oh, and they ditched the bicycle. :lol3)
  12. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    100% fly time against 92% . Oracle is fast but seems flighty & hard to handle, the Kiwis are a machine

6/1 , I'm optimistic but not super confident, I've seen this movie before
  14. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very good day out on the water for the Kiwi's indeed. Ye Ha!

It appears that the Yanks have a more competitive boat now with the latest changes made and when all said and done the boat speeds now are very close.

I may be wrong but it appears that the Kiwi designed and manufactured longer wings on those dagger boards do make the boats more twitchy and a real handful to sail to their best potential performance. So it follows the crews have to more precise in how they manage the boat. The Kiwis have had the boards fitted for a while now and have had the time to up their skills and get used to the handling characteristics while Yanks are still coming to grips with the changes in the handling and nuances of the boards.
    Also I’m not sure if it was my imagination or not but I'm almost sure I saw some chassis flexing when looking at the Yank hulls when they were completing jibes. The pressures generated must be enormous with the sail set and the rudder and wing set up all working against itself under load. The boat just seemed twitchier at times and the crew sort of ½ a step behind at times dealing with it.

Hopefully its decided tomorrow.
  15. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Hard to believe that, with all the money spent on their operation, the US boat makes so many mistakes. Software error, boat handling mistakes and Spithill having a nightmare series.

There simply isn't a way back. They're just not good enough. Watching the final races is going to be painful for United Statesians.

New Zealand are remorseless, unflappable and handle their boat better than anyone in the field.

They deserve to win. They've earned it with their excellence. Congratulations, well-deserved.
  16. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are using loose shrouds to induce twist in the boat which shifts the righting moment. After we did the flying W we strengthened our wing so we can do the same as Oracle something Oracle were not too happy about hence threats to ask for a remeasure of TNZ
  17. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ta for that.

I thought that By-by wave to Jimmy was a classic as they gapped it off with Jimmy's boat 2 hulls down in the water. Nice.

One more sleep ya reckon?
  18. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's hoping .

It's certainly been a David v Goliath. Oracle & their acolytes have done their best to stymie TNZ . I think the adversity had made them stronger & more determined.
  19. sandgroper

sandgroper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think most people in NZ believe this, and in the USA most people probable don't give a fuck
  20. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most in the US don't give a fuck about the cup.