1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Americas cup

Discussion in 'Sports' started by sandgroper, Oct 14, 2012.

1. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back In Iowa. Quad Cities to be exactish..
    Congratulations
    [​IMG] :jack
    68deluxe likes this.
  2. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Understandable sentiment from a country that has a small population and might feel it gets a lack of respect.

I first noticed this kind of attitude when I lived in Sacramento. It's the capitol of California. But it wasn't terribly large and it's removed from the action and opportunities of more sophisticated SF and LA. They called it a cowtown mentality, a little bit of an inferiority complex when they compared themselves to the big cities.

I liked living there and didn't care one way or another. But I get why people might feel like that. To me, New Zealand has a tremendous amount to offer and doesn't take second place to anywhere. Including in earthquakes. :evil
  3. Oscar

Oscar Curmudgeon Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's quite funny - Oracle needed an Aussie skipper, NASA needed ze Chermans.
    rideslikeafish likes this.
  4. Oscar

Oddometer:
    Yup. I live in a cow town in NZ, so it's like inferiority squared :oscar
  5. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't see it as inferiority. We live in a fantastic little country that punches way above it's weight & that makes me incredibly proud.
    The Tron however , well that's another thing altogether. [ Oscar exists in the Tron ]
  6. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just who was it that said a Kiwi can’t fly.
    The buggers also worked out how to make Cats fly. :-)
  7. Oscar

Oddometer:
    Au contraire, mon frère, I live in Whatawhata.
  8. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back In Iowa. Quad Cities to be exactish..
    From the interviews it sounded like the whole Oracle team were Aussies. Hope you guys fix the nationality rule.
    68deluxe likes this.
  9. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Aussies were the first to weaken it, Swiss the ones who basically obliterated it. I'm guessing that a strict nationality rule would hurt other countries more than it would the US. Aside from NZ and Oz, of course.

After that final, don't see how having a United Statesian skipper would be any worse. :lol3
  10. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't blame Spitball, there is an old saying in Americas Cup,' The fastest boat wins '. What happened to Spitball is what happened to Barker in SF, the fastest boat won.
  11. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Fair. But I think he lost every start but one and his boat made several unforced errors, both on the start line and the boundary. Plus that too-close cross when he didn't have the right of way. Maybe that's not all on him, but don't sailors have a maxim about the captain being responsible for everything? :lol3
  12. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I watched the last one live in San Francisco, nearly every one we met in the bars and eateries was from Australia or New Zealand. I heard one lady in our hotel ask someone why there were bigger crowds in that area of the city. Generally, the bay area does not give a crap, they make their money from tourism or shipping. Sad. One of the round the world races races stopped in there a few years back and they barely got one line in the newspapers.

I get excited every time we go to Rhode Island, sailing is a big deal there. They even have a few boats on display in the airport.
  13. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too expensive, I hope they go back to monohulls. Quite a few people are guessing monos with canting keels and foils, maybe around 60 feet long.
  14. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish they would have taken 5 minutes before each race day to explain the rules. When they talk about right of way, penalty turns, and the start box it confuses non-sailors. They need to take the time to educate people. I loved the graphics but wish they could have shown a graphic for the wind direction.
  15. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    I agree. I figured most of it out, I guess. One thing still didn't process, though. As far as I could figure the starboard boat has right of way everywhere except the first marker. I see that there are explicit rules about clearance etc. in that situation. But the discrepancy nagged at me.
  16. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    WE have never raced, too much screaming and gnashing of teeth. So I had to look it up.

From wiki:

"1997 saw the most dramatic simplification to the Racing Rules of Sailing since the 1940s. They are based on four main right of way rules: [Part 2, Section A]

1. Boats on a port tack shall keep clear of boats on starboard tack (Rule 10).
    2. When boats are on the same tack and overlapped, the boat to windward (the boat closest to the wind) shall keep clear of a leeward boat (Rule 11).
    3. When boats are on the same tack and not overlapped, the boat that is astern shall keep clear of the boat ahead. (Rule 12).
    4. When a boat is tacking (changing tack) it shall keep clear of boats that are not tacking (Rule 13)."
  17. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    :thumb Same tack, got it. Thanks.
  18. MisterD

MisterD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The missus has a good view from her office[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    68deluxe and g®eg like this.
  19. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any word on the next go-round?
  20. MisterD

MisterD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like being Jan/Feb 2021 in Auckland. RNZYS have said that the Protocol will be released in September and we should expect stronger country rules for construction and crews.
    garfey and 68deluxe like this.