1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Amsoil vs. Mobil 1

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by izzy's, Jul 4, 2010.

1. JKGREEN

JKGREEN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mobile 1 is a Group 3 oil and is not synthetic, it is mineral oil that is more refined. They are basically playing a trick on the public by saying it is synthetic because US law allows it - the Oil companies have a lot of money and there are some politicians with fatter wallets.. They can't claim this in Europe.

In the 90's Mobile sued Castrol because they claimed their Group 3 was synthetic, it was not - still Mobile lost, after losing the lawsuit Mobile switch to Group 3 and claimed synthetic - it is not but they make more money by selling oil that is cheaper to produce. Use Group 4, Royal Purple, Amsoil etc.. It may cost more but you are getting whats advertised on the label. My bike runs better and is quieter with Group 4..

Here is a good resource on oil:
    http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Here we go again! :norton

Anyway, retired used car dealer here, best year I sold 4 cars a day, average one a day for 35 years!

Check this out:

CASTROL 20/50 MOTOR OIL in all my cars and motorcycles.

Never ever had an engine failure because the oil was no good, used oil is better than no oil.

I will say a race mechanic friend of mine took apart an engine that used Mobil 1 and he said the inside was SO clean, no sludge, no tarnish, no nothing, everything was shiny.

BUT, you just gotta notice all those CASTROL stickers on race bikes.
  3. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    "I ate mercury once and it didn't hurt me, so mercury must not be bad for you." :deal

Sigh....

edit: aw jeez. Now I've got to unsubscribe from this thread. Somebody post something so I get an email that makes it easy.
  4. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Not a good idea...the pumpability of 20w-XX at cold start is poor leading to oil starvation at startup. The synthetics have a distinct advantage at cold start because they flow immediately at cold temperatures.

Also, SAE 50 is too high in viscosity for modern water cooled engines. They fare better with a SAE 30. Most factory engine fills are with 0w-20 or 0w-30 oil.
  5. larry0071

larry0071 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beaver County, PA (Ambridge/Rochester, RT-65)
    Arguing over oil is pointless. You can never convince anyone that is not willing to be convinced :1drink

Just run what makes you feel good about, if that is the cheapest bulk diesel oil you can find,..... great! If it is the very best tested and verified lube you can get your hands on.... fine! If your happy, your good to go.
  6. AndyCap

AndyCap Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer:
    Do you oil officianados know anything about cooking oil? I always seem to have issues using olive oil on my stir fry. I was then told be a friend to use Peanut oil because it has a higher boiling point. Is peanut oil good to use? When should I use olive oil then? What about canola oil? Coconut oil? Is vegetable oil old school, or does it stil have a use? What's the difference between virgin olive oil, extra virgin olive oil, and extra extra virgin olive oil? Is there such thing as tramp olive oil? Oh, and castor oil, what's that for?
  7. Oil Doc

Oil Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You do not have to become a Preferred Customer to purchase at Dealer cost... All you need is the proper contact (Dealer) to call and have it dropped on your door at Dealer cost. I even know of a Dealer that will comp you a 6 month Preferred Customer Membership just for buying from him :)

It is not unuaual to see high mileage engines with proper maintenance. But, with AMSOIL's Extended drain technology it winds up costing the same or less as many petroleum oils. Not including the other benefits inclusive of Better fuel mileage which we all can use today no matter what we drive.

Your second paragraph is correct.

Your first paragraph is partially correct.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T and Mobil's V-Twin oils are not only very good oils but, are PAO Based (Group IV) Synthetics.

Now, if you go to their automotive line, Mobil 1 Extended Performance is 30 % PAO, X% Hydro-Cracked (Group 3) and the rest in additives. Any of the Mobil 1 oils that say "Full" or "Fully" Synthetic are Hydro-Cracked oils and the rest of their oils are just Petroleum Products.

Although today, Synthetics are considered to be The Best choice out there, Everyone should keep up with what is new in the in industry. You never know when they may come up with a way to make a petroleum to perform better.

Until that time, use this as a guide http://bestoil4you.com/files/MC_Oil_Study.pdf ...Pick one of the Top 3 oils and you will be assured of having a Top quality oil.

Remember: Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn't cheap
    Cheap isn't The Best

Doc
  8. larry0071

Oddometer:
    Oil Doc,

Yes, you do need to be a (PC) Prefered Customer to get dealer cost, that is why doing the group thing and splitting it costs a couple bucks (literally) each.

I am a dealer and for me to sell you Amsoil at PC price (my cost to the penny) I would have to reach into my back pocket and grab my money to buy you a $10 6-Month membership.... Why would I want to do that? There also is tax and shipping, be it a dealer order, PC order, or a retail customer order.

I guess if I thought you were going to become a big ticket buyer maybe I could recoup the $10 on the incentive repayment, but you would have to buy a metric shit ton of oil for that.... I don't really push Amsoil, I use it and get ot for some of my relatives and riding pals. I have not seen an incentive check in years! I don't sale enough to overcome the monthly cost of having the dealer website, they charge me each month... not pay me each month :eek1

Amsoil retail prices for cycle oils:
    SAE 60 $11.80
    10-30 $10.80
    10-40 $11.15
    20-50 $11.50

PC/Dealer price on the same:
    SAE 60 $9.10 (-$2.70 Per QT compared to RETAIL)
    10-30 $8.35 (-$2.45 Per QT compared to RETAIL)
    10-40 $8.60 (-$2.55 Per QT compared to RETAIL)
    20-50 $8.85 (-$2.65 Per QT compared to RETAIL)

For me, I am a dealer because I use enough product with my 2 diesel trucks and my bikes/tractors/guns that it saves me a huge amount, if I sale a bit now and again at retail and make 20 bucks... great. The cost to be a PC and top be a dealer is the same, the concept is that I am supposed to be trying to talk every last living human into being an Amsoil dealer under me and I generate a fraction of a % of profit from every sale they make and every dealer they set up under them.... a marketing pyramid scheme. I'm not much into all that crap, but I like the oil :D
  9. Oil Doc

Oil Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, Maybe I'm wrong, I've only been doing this a short time (1984)

I checked....(Not) No you don't need to be a PC. You just need the right Dealer to buy from.

I will tell you that a PC is Not allowed to buy for their friends or "group thing" as you put it. It is against corporate policy and they can lose their PC Membership and are not entitled to any reimbursement.

The Best isn't cheap
    Cheap isn't The Best

Doc
  10. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    I change my boxer engine oil annually regardless of mileage. I have used Mobil1 15w-50 exclusively since 600 miles.

It is cheap, excellent oil available at Wal-Mart for ~$6.00/quart in the big jug. Also, I use Purolator oil filters. They are equal in performance to the BMW OE filter and available at my local autoparts store for ~$6.00. Next, I use Autolite 3923 spark plugs at ~$2.00 each in my boxer and have done so since ~600 miles. They are 10+ years old and will not be replaced for another 10 years.
    Finally, I changed the GL-5 in my transmission and FD recently. It was ~8 years old. Came out like new.

Most of us over-maintain our bikes....especially BMW owners.

Unnecessary and wasteful.

Redline and other botique oils are just fine. I choose the cheap, convenient route for my fluids.

Do not use oil additives in the boxer motor. Moly in the GL-5 is fine.
  11. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Do you REALLY want to know 'cause, I have the answers?
  12. larry0071

Oddometer:
    Well Doc, as I clearly denoted above, for me, handing out ten dollar bills is stupid. If I can not make a single penny on your oil purchase, why would I want to hand you $10? Where would that $10 come from? Obama Money?

Anyways, you are correct that you theoretically can not buy amsoil for you and your entire town, but last I checked... Amsoil does not hide out in everyones garage to see how the oil gets handed out. I know there are folks that do "share" an account, it's no skin off my back.

Your dealer may be a big volume guy that is pumping out downline dealers and PC accounts like mad and making comission checks that dwarf my paycheck.... God bless him! I'm not throwing ten dollar bills out the window of the bus to make friends.....

Larry
  13. Oil Doc

Oil Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Instead of guessing, I choose to use oil analysis to, at the very least, get a baseline, establish oil change interval.

Using AMSOIL Motorcycle Specific oils, I am over 17,000 change interval on the Wing, The Yamaha only gets 8000 a year so that is when it is done and the Harley tows a trailer (loaded with oil) bags and tour pack loaded and 2 up most of the time. I don't pull the lowers even in 100+ temps and the analysis shows good at over 10,000 so it gets changed 2-3 times per year with the mileage I run.

I also like the extra fuel mileage.

The Best isn't cheap
    Cheap isn't The Best

Doc
  14. Oil Doc

Oil Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Larry,

From what you are saying, it sounds like you just need to be a PC instead of a Dealer. You are wasting $10.00 a year plus your monthly fees.

"My" Dealer does just a little bit of volume. Top 1% in AMSOIL for years, for March 6th in Most qualified new Dealers and accounts and 4th in Orginazation. I know "My" Dealer is looking forward to Vegas in October. Maybe you will be there too?

The Best isn't cheap
    Cheap isn't The Best

Doc
  15. genka

genka SUV hater

Oddometer:
    It seems like any oil of a reasonable quality will keep the boxer running longer than most other components of our bikes.
  16. larry0071

Oddometer:
    Vegas.... not just no... HELL NO :rofl

Like I said, I'm not in Amsoil to push it, if someone I ride with asks about it, I will tell them. I've never approached a person or business and tried to sale the stuff.

I like having the dealer status and all because I always think that some day I may decide to try to sale it.... it's always a next week, next month, next year kind of thing. I'm busy at work.... and when I am not at work I like to ride! :evil
  17. Oil Doc

Oil Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure can, as long as you don't mind the clunky tranny and changing oil more oten than you have to.

The Best isn't cheap
    Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
  18. Oil Doc

Oil Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I, for one, and my wife, are looking forward to Vegas. I went to the 30th and 35th in Superior and DJ Conention in St Pete, Florida in 2009.

Al is great and when you get Bobby Unser in a one on one is quite the character. Terry Rinker and his whole team are awesome people and Bob Teague, Mike Oberg and Scott Douglas are all great people.

Wish you were a Dealer under me.

The Best isn't cheap
    Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
  19. 4wheeldog

4wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is Am soil better than Mobil 1? Maybe. But Mobil 1 is way better than it needs to be for use in a boxer. If someone made designer gasoline for 50% more per gallon, but it was better than your motor needed, would you buy it?
    What I am refering to here is the point of diminishing returns. Is better worth more money, if the less expensive stuff is too good already? Not for me. Mobil 1 car oil in everything I own.

Besides, Am soil's marketing pisses me off.......Their "Oil studies" are controlled by them, and they use a pyramid scheme for their sales structure. I would rather just go to the store and buy my oil. But that is just me.
  20. AndyCap

AndyCap Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer:
    No, not really, I already googled all of them. Of course, once I got to this adventure cooking site, I got lost in all of the scientific debate over the molecular stability versus friction drag coefficients of one brand of olive oil to another. Those cooks really do know their oils. And here I just wanted to pop some popcorn.