Amsoil vs. Mobil 1

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by izzy's, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Oil Doc

Oil Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As you said... It is just you... and a few others maybe.. LOL.

We'll go backwards here... There "Oil Studies" are performed by several of the Top Testing Facilities in the US of which, at least one is a Non-Profit. None of these facilities could afford to lose the major contracts they have to show bias and falsify information. This is also why ASTM Tests were used as the same results are had whether they do them or you do them.

Marketing.. The Donald said on Larry King when asked "what would you do if you had to start all over again" The Donalds reply was "Multi Level Marketing"

AMSOIL is not a "pyramid scheme" as you put it. You need to look up the definitions of the two. AMSOIL is an honest company which is Product Driven. You CANNOT make money just by putting on Dealers and drawing circles on a blackboard. You also cannot buy direct from AMSOIL.

The company protects its Dealers from being "back doored" by someone that thinks they are going to get around "the middle man". All sales, even the State of Texas and OEM's such as Volvo, go through a Dealer.

As for "what's good enough"... AMSOIL has oils competitively priced with most Mobil 1 products and outperforms them. If you do not have a wet clutch and do not wish to extend drain intervals, there is oil for under $5.00 per qt.

Of course, most people like to go a little bit further than minimum. I have over $25K in just one bike much less the other 2. When I can go 3 times as far on an oil change, verified by analysis, and only spend twice as much, that is a Win-Win situation. Plus, I love the smoother shifts in all the bikes, cooler oil temps, easier to find neutral and better fuel mileage.

2-4 MPG, with todays gas prices. adds up real quick.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn't cheap
    Cheap isn't The Best

Doc
  2. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>Where is the nearest AMSOIL meeting?! Anybody want to carpool?

<BR>
  3. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't understand how people find Amsoil hard to get..You go to most any cycle shop and they have it..or you go online and in 2 days it's on your door step..you don't even have to go to Wal-Mart..??? I order a gallon or 2 and have them in a cabinet..I've never found myself yet, with the oil drained, the filter off and said "oh shit..I'm out of oil and filters, I need to run to Wal Mart on Christmas day to get oil for my bike..":rofl

But hey..to each their own..put oil in 'em and ride 'em..

I have a F 150 gettin ready to pop 200K..it's had the oil changed 7 times..1 set of plugs put in it..and I changed the tranny at 36k..runs like a top and gets 15 mpg..:freaky
  4. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Not to let this great thread die :lol3, I'll throw another oil in the mix. Anyone see any UOA's or have any opinions on Shell Rotella T6 and the 1200 boxer mill ? Does anyone know what group this new full syn Rotella falls into ?
  5. genka

genka SUV hater

Oddometer:
    I didn't believe that oil can make a dramatic difference in shifting, but on my cars it helped twice. In one case it was Redline MTL, and in another- GM Syncromesh. Both of my bikes didn't have any shifting issues outside of occasional clunks on lowest gears, and changing the oil changed nothing. I used AMSOil on Moto Guzzi and Mobil synthetic on GS.
    I don't know if 15k miles+ engine oil change intervals are good idea. The oil may be good, but what about the filter, specially considering the tiny size of BMW filters.

The Best isn't cheap, but
    The most expensive doesn't mean The Best
  6. Oil Doc

Oil Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank God AMSOIL is not even close to the most expensive and is actually less expensive to use per mile than many oils.

And, if you use a filter rated for that distance, it is just fine.

The Best isn't cheap
    Cheap isn't Thr Best
  7. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    :eyes!
    Well, that's an excellent endorsement of Amsoil, right?
  8. Oil Doc

Oil Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's an endorsement of how someone that is business savvy would make money in todays economic climate if they had to start over again.

Of course, you are just like the Mass Media though and just take an excerpt out.

Usually, people have a bad attitude about something because they don't understand or can't figure out how to make it work for them.

Case of can't figure it out : People are blaming the oil companies for high gas prices. There are 4 "groups" that profit far more than oil companies... First: The Traders, oil is a commodity.. Second: Federal taxes, they make about 3-4 times of what the oil companies "profit"... and those oil company Billions times 3-4 ? Third: All those Retirement funds, yours may be one... 4th: State taxes..

Now to MLM companies: Most don't understand and and many can't figure it out. Getting paid as we do is nothing but getting paid in layers of production similar to a standard business structure.

Draw a company, say AT&T on paper... One little lone circle at the top and then each layer under that... want to see a true "Pyramid"..

It's just another business model.

Like me: here I am at home, had foot surgery March 2nd.. 4 weeks in the hospital, 5 weeks at home and still on my butt, but, yet I am not only able to maintain my business but, make it grow.. All while in a Hospital room :)

I am in Top 1% of the company, I was 4th in Orginization for March and 6th overall Most Qualified new accounts. I Love what I do, it is a passion for me.

But, maybe some people are right, I should just go to work for someone else, work hard to make money for the top of the "Pyramid" and then, when I have something like this happen, I can live off the 60% pay from disabilty insurance, worry how to pay my bills, buy food and have to get money from the state so everyone can support me, instead of increasing my revenue and maintaining self sufficiency.

The only thing that really gets to me. Sitting here looking out the window at my truck because I can't drive right now.

The Best isn't cheap
    Cheap isn't The Best

Doc
  9. prostdon

prostdon Don

Oddometer:
    This may be of little value here but i thought I'd give my two cents on Amsoil. The reason I say it may be of little value here is that my experience with Amsoil is in a Harley Davidson Twin Cam. Not too many on this forum ride those. Anyway, I used Amsoil in my Harley for all but the first 20,000 miles of its life. After that Amsoil was used and changed every 6,000 miles. I just sold the bike yesterday with 145,000 miles on it. Never any problems with the bike but I did put rings in it at 81,000 miles. It wasn't using oil, I guess I was just curious to see how things looked inside at that point. There were still some faint cross hatch marks on the cylinders. The only negative that I noticed was that the engine seemed a bit noisier on the Amsoil. It worried me at first but apparently was not detrimental to the engine in any way.
  10. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>Any oil will work, unless you're a true believer, then only one oil will work.

<BR>
  11. Anorak

Oddometer:
    If you're trying to prove the value of Amsoil as a lubricant, the Trump endorsement doesn't seem to contain any technical information to support your claims of superior performance as a lubricant. Although, Mr. Trump is especially oleaginous.

You're selling us on Amsoil, not through it's qualities as an oil but as a business. A successful business doesn't need to sell a quality product, it just has to be good at selling.
  12. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Heh heh, word.

<BR>
  13. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    .........the best way to determine your OCI....however, too much work (and unnecessary) for most of us.

I'm sure your Amsoil is very good...I merely choose to go to W-M for my oil and groceries...one stop shopping.

It is not unusual for cylinder hone marks to persist at 100,000 miles, especially in cylinders with hardened surfaces like the BMW boxer.
  14. WANNABEEmer

WANNABEEmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my dealer uses Bel-Ray but I hardly see this brand mentioned on the forum, why?
  15. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Few boxer owners use Bel-Ray products. For what reason, I don't know.
  16. Oil Doc

Oil Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, according to you, I can use the same oil in my 2008 diesel as I use in my 2002 diesel ?

The Best isn't cheap
    Cheap isn't The Best

Doc
  17. Anorak

Oddometer:
    I am interested in your business model and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
  18. ausfahrt

ausfahrt mach schnell Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl

19. 4wheeldog

4wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    True believers are just that.......Be it a cult or motor oil. Marketing is not the same thing as added value. Whether you accept it as being a pyramid or not, the shape is the same. And, when I have seen truly independent oil comparison studies, Am soil came off as good, but not necessarily superior. Use what you want. But I am not joining your religion. I don't open the door when the Jehovah's witnesses show up, either. Just sayin'.
  20. Oil Doc

Oil Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:

Please... Point us all to the ASTM or SAE tests you are referring to. Not oil analysis from bitog or other sites that are not performed properly.

ASTM Tests are performed to precise standards. Even if you did them, the results would be the same.

If you are using oil analysis, mine came back at just over 3K, with another synthetic we were testing, and showed it had sheared more than 1 grade and was recommended to change. The next analysis with AMSOIL, at over 10K, said "continue to next regular interval".

Shortly after that, I started pulling a loaded trailer and running down the road at well over 2400 lbs. Oil analysis showed that at 10,400 miles, the oil was still good but, beginning to gain in viscosity, so we changed it.

A cult ? I won't tell you what I think about that.

I Love what I do.. If I find a better product and, a better company, I'll sell that.

The Best isn't cheap
    Cheap isn't The Best

Doc