Amsoil vs. Mobil 1

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by izzy's, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why does Trump like Amsoil?
  2. CATGS

CATGS Bourbon consumer

Oddometer:
    Lots of bitching....

I am an oil nut.. Try to research/learn as much as I can. I do UOA's and enjoy changing my own oil. I have learned quite a bit from Engineer's and field reports for the company I work. Really, it boils down to comfort level. Many reports of folks using dino oil in their boxers for over 100k.. And there are many who have used synthetic with the same results. Both Amsoil and Mobil make a fine product. You are really splitting hairs comparing the two and the average user will not be able to tell a difference.

The company I work for exclusively uses Exxon/Mobil to manufacture their oil, greases and other fluids. The products we mfg are used in some of the harshest and extreme environment for oils... Not many if any oil related failures. Is it because it is Mobil oil.. No. It is because of using the correct grade, additive package and filtering system.. Yes.

Like you care, but here is what I use..

Mobil 1 15w50 (either ep or regular) in my 1150GSA and 1200GSA
    Mobil 1 Vtwin 20w50 in my Ducati ST4S and Harley
    Spectro Platinum 10W50 in the KTM

Schaeffers in the final drive and tranny's in the BMW's
    Redline in the Harley Primary and tranny

I am having great results using the Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 in the Range Rover and the 5w20 version in my Tundra. Excellent UOA's results.. Very similar if not better results than Mobil 1 ep in the same grade. Not enough data points to claim, but for now it is my new "car" oil.

Flame away.
  3. mdsn969

mdsn969 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :amazon

:slurp
  4. 4wheeldog

4wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    You make a lot of assumptions, for an "Oildoc". You have no idea what I know and what I don't. But I have never been bankrupt, the Donald would never be on my list of good examples, and I have forgotten more about being a cheap bastard than you will ever know.......Which is why I won't use am soil, unless someone gives it to me for free.

Multi level marketing is still just a legal version of pyramid marketing........Market saturation comes before the guy in the middle makes a profit. Which is why I have been retired for most of a decade......Because I don't bite on stupid ways to make money.

Everytime I see one of am soil's self promoting oil comparisons, my bullshit meter pegs. If the stuff they say is inferior is so bad, how come I can run my vehicles with it for 300k miles and never suffer a failure? The stuff they are claiming to be superior at is not apropo to the real world. Boutique bullshit.

And you are still a troll. Your bait isn't stinky enough, you bore me. Let me know if you get some new material.
  5. Oil Doc

Oil Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe you are the one making the assumption.

If I don't "work" and sell the product, I don't make any money. Product driven is the difference betwen a "pyramid" and a MLM. Just as in traditional sales, you are limited to X amount of time in a day and then you either increase your sales force or stagnate.

I paid my dues working this as a conventional business. I own it, it is mine. I put in a lot of days that went from 6am right through until 1 AM the next morning with some going to 2 or 3 AM.

You have a misconception of my business most likely due to preconcieved ideas from bad press of other MLM's or even getting involved in a bad one. AMSOIL is different and so am I. I am product driven. I sell more M/C oil and filters than some warehouses.

For March, I was 6th in the Nation for Most Qualified New accounts... That equates to one thing. Good, Hard, Honest WORK... Oh.. I was able to do that from my Hopital bed which I was in for over 4 weeks. How many businesses can do that ?

The Best isn't cheap
    Cheap isn't The Best

Doc
  6. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought his argument was a little stronger than "I don't like Trump, so he must be wrong"

:lol3
  7. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    Extra only..it's better for you.. :deal
  8. 4wheeldog

4wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hurrah for you! Doesn't change my mind about anything I said so far.......What I use (Mobil 1) is better than it has to be, costs less, and is marketed conventionally.

Sorry about your hospital stay. How is am soil's medical plan?

I don't work for money anymore. I just let my money work for me. And I do what I want. Sometimes, that is trying to wear out Mobil 1, so far unsuccessfully.
  9. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    So did GM..and Chrysler..we should have given them a hearty "Fuck You" too..don't you think :ear

So you wouldn't buy something..even if it's better, at a competitive price..for the simple reason that it's sold by your neighbors or friends? Strange..but to each their own..

Do you ever shop at a franchise?
  10. 4wheeldog

4wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of my friends retired from Chevron R&D. We had some conversations about what his department had found about modern oils. He went on at length about additive packages, base stocks and such. He talked about testing various "Boutique" oils, as well as all the major manufacturer's stuff.

Then I asked him what him and his colleagues used in their own stuff. Without hesitation, he said, "Castrol GTX if they use conventional, Delo if they have a diesel. Mobil 1 if they are using "Synthetic". Unless they get it for free, from Chevron".

Nothing wrong with the rest. These just had the most consistent, repeatable results for the least cost. Cheap bastards rule.
  11. Oil Doc

Oil Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My medical plan is great.

AMSOIL is available conventionally, I have many Retail accounts I sell to. AMSOIL is about the same price as M-1 up front but costs less per mile of use.

I work because I Love what I do.

I put on 20-25K on one bike, 45K plus on my truck per year and go a lot further on drains than you do on M-1, proven by oil analysis, putting those savings in my pocket.

I just hope as I grow older, I am not as cynical and close minded as some.

Nobody is asking you to use AMSOIL. M-1 is an excellent oil which, I have never said anything bad about and, as matter of fact, recommend either AMSOIL or M-1.

The Best isn't cheap
    Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
  12. 4wheeldog

4wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, we are in agreement........Other than you thinking am soil is cheaper than I have ever seen it offered. And the part about multi layered marketing being responsible for that. And the fact that I would rather change my oil than pay for analysis. (Folks have run Mobil 1 for ridiculous mileages as well. False economy, in my cynical, closed minded, cheap bastard view of the subject.........I shower and change my drawers more frequently than medically necessary as well). I change oil at least as often as the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation. The filter needs changing, anyway, and I don't put on dirty drawers after a shower, so......

Does am soil pay your medical premiums directly, or do you have to pay them from your own account?

I am pleased you approve of my use of Mobil 1. I approve of you using am soil as well. The Donald, not so much.
  13. 4wheeldog

4wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have ignored you up until now, but, Yes.......GM and Chrysler are in much the same category as the Donald, in my view. Not for exactly the same reasons........The car companies sold their stockholders out, as well as their creditors. I would never, ever do business with any of them. And I seldom say "Never".

You say Am soil is competitive, pricewise. I have never found that to be true. It is peddled in the same vein as religions are. I don't do those either. I am not a "True believer" in anything. I only ascribe to that which I can verify. You and your hired Doc are true believers. Thus, I am resistant. Oil is a product, that performs a job. It is not a prestige item in my view. I don't do chrome either.

I have never had a neighbor that sold am soil. So, I am off the hook there. I got invited to an amway presentation once, but I figured it out, and didn't go. A.L. Williams guy worked on me pretty hard at work, too......Until I told him to get lost. Are you starting to see a pattern?

Use what you want. I am free to use what I want. I will not buy into your Kool Aid. You can accept that or not. Matters not to me.
  14. Oil Doc

Oil Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No one can control the price someone sells a product for. In the case of what you have found with AMSOIL, you are just looking in the wrong places. MLM does not mean a higher price and in many cases it leads to a lower cost than an identical product that is marketed in the traditional manner.

I am not an employee of AMSOIL. No one that sells AMSOIL can work for the company. I am happily self employed. Therefore, I pay for my insurance.

Chrysler took a bailout and paid it back in record time. GM was taken over by our Communist in office and this time Chrysler was told to merge or they will be shut down. Ford chose not to take a bailout and has come back quite well.

The Best isn't cheap
    Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
  15. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    4WD..

Hey, I respect your conviction..no doubt..(as an aside, the car companies were sold out from under the bond holders and given to the Unions..but that's for the basement..)

I know OilDoc no better than I know you..just thought some of the comments were interesting, that's all..

Nor am I a true believer in anything..if a product comes that will outperform what I use..I'll switch to it..no skin off my back..

You know that there are filters available, for our bikes, that will go 15-25K right? And that most likely, conventional oil would be out of range (viscosity) by then.. See, for me it's not a prestige thing either..I don't get off telling someone I change oil every 500 miles, 1000 miles whatever..that sounds like a Harley thing actually..truth be known, I don't think anyone cares how often anyone else changes their oil..

Hell, Def just posted up that he changed his finally..I think he had 8 years on it..

I'd rather ride mine than change the oil in it..so..I use a product that allows that..not good, not bad..just is

Happy riding to you 4WD..enjoy your bike..and changing oil weekly, monthly or whatever it is you like..like you went out of your way to say, you make so much money, it doesn't matter to you..but maybe, just maybe, another inmate needs to stretch his riding dollar as far as possible..and for that guy..high grade Synthetics and good filters will lessen his cost per mile..

Hopefully, we'll bump into each other one day and I'll buy you a beer..
    :freaky
  16. 4wheeldog

4wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think I ever said anything about having so much money that I don't care what something costs......I have emphasized the fact that I am a cheap bastard. Diminishing returns is the philosophy I live by. I do have an "Experienced" Beemer, (You do know what the cheapest thing on that bike is, don't you?), but I have a KLR as well. So there

As far as change intervals, what I said was that I don't do extreme extended intervals. Never said I did short ones.

I also, particularly, would not do an extended interval (8 years? Are you kidding me?) for the final drive..........For similar reasons. We really don't know what is coming out the drain hole until we pull the plug, do we? Same with oil filters. Maybe one or the other might make an extended interval, but no alarm sounds when it is plugged. So, for a few bucks, I change the oil and the filter when the guy that designed the thing says it should be done. Cheapest way? Maybe not......But, to paraphrase your buddy, Cheapest ain't always best, (Or safest). Mobil 1 is at least as good at 6k miles as any boutique brand at 12k. Just sayin'. I also use Iridium plugs........But I pull them once in a while, so that they do not become "One with the head". Maintenance is not all about finding ways not to do it........Sometimes we want to find the problem before it becomes bigger.

First beer is on me.......We can discuss something safe, like prefered brand of gasoline...........As long as you don't try to get me to sign up for an am soil dealership. Happy trails.
  17. 4wheeldog

4wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your take on GM and Chrysler don't match what I saw happen. By the time they got to bailouts, they were already worthless. What happened after that was a side effect of the very bad management up until then.

Why have you guys brought GM, Chrysler and the Donald into a discussion of oil comparison, and marketing? Must be another religious plot.......Does a high priest just bless the plant, or does every bottle get blessed as a batch?

(Now I am just messing with you........Enjoy your Saturday evening, hit it again hard on Monday!)
  18. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:

I might be wrong, just ask my X...
  19. Oil Doc

Oil Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK... A little help from ANYONE following this... Did 4wheel not only bring up the whole marketing thing that I was forced to reply to and did he not bring up Chysler and GM ?

Maybe my sore ass is affecting my brain here.

The Best isn't cheap
    Cheap isn't The Best

Doc
  20. 4wheeldog

4wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can help you out here. Your buddy the monkey man (Vegas GSA) brought up GM and Chrysler.........Definitely not me. You brought up the Donald.

I just made an offhand comment that I do not care for am soil's multi-level marketing scheme. I don't appreciate ANY MLM schemes. I also don't appreciate Walmart's business model either, for entirely different reasons. So there.

Try to focus. You can sell more oil tomorrow. A little reading comprehension will make things clearer today.