An 800's Rebirth/The build of MechanicO

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by FinTec, Dec 12, 2014.

1. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    It runs as much as you have hot accessories to charge ya phone on ya nine fitty....:lol3:D
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    We sure love it. Perhaps next time we will get together. That is off course unless some other " unknown fuses "blows on Brian's orange blue smurf.... :beer:happay
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Teaser........ Could not resist.
    [​IMG]

Note: Resized as to not reveal any of the other things..... :-)
  4. wipe-out

wipe-out Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I'm waiting for the new stator to arrive to then perform my first ever surgery on the bike... Ask me again Monday/Tuesday!
  5. zgfiredude

zgfiredude RMAR

Oddometer:
    The fact remains that while i couldn't charge my phone, i did not need a tow truck.....;-)

All poking aside, Fins bike is wicked cool and , might just get wickederer...if thats a word!

Look forward to the next time Fin!!
  6. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, ya. S'ok, believe there were some recent Baja? pics (also..resized) of finished rig.
    Made an appearance at WestFest with my crew,but tough monsoonish weekend, hoping for meet up but, monsoon. Next time.
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe.
    But as Fin asked me not to reveal anything, that's what I will do. Wicked sound right......:-)
  8. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Understood, as it should be. As far as wicked sound goes... I gotcher wicked sound right[​IMG] :
  9. VEXX

VEXX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please... no more suspense... show the beast

Enviado do meu SM-J500FN através de Tapatalk
  10. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys, not intentional. Was trying for this weekend and it got away from me.
  11. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't you just hate it when a build thread or even a trip report just peters out and the OP just fades away before finishing it? I do. Bugs me.

I did not want to be that guy and I feel it is important to finish what you start. So here it is, the conclusion of MechanicO....or chapter 1.

I originally started down the road with MechanicO as a way to get back into motorcycles and adventure bikes. I figured a salvaged bike was a great way to save a few pennies and use up some time during the winter up here in the Rocky Mnts. However, once MechanicO arrived I realized this was going to be bigger then saving money. He deserved more and I had the means to do it.

So what you now see is three winters of work. I would time it so I would have a stage done just as spring came around so I could ride the summer. Then back in the shop in the fall for the next stage. It was a great way to do it as with every summer I would learn more about what I wanted, plan for it for the winter, then do it once the snow hit. It also forced me to make sure I had that particular stage wrapped up by spring or I would be that guy without a ride. Without that "push" I have found projects like this can spiral out of control where you just keep working on it indefinitely. I have a Subaru project that is now over 10 years going and still not drivable. Well it was....for 5 hours....but that is another story. You have to pick a chapter end or it never ends.

Rather than a bunch of pictures I went ahead and made a quick video of MechanicO showing his rise to life and him and I enjoying a crap load of adventures. Here you go:

OK, just a few shots in case YouTube goes down

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So how does he ride? Fantastic. The two big changes that made the largest impact was:
    • Suspension
    • The custom intake system
    The suspension is essentially a full scale WP set of forks in front and a Tractive/Touratech rear shock all tuned and set to the bike. Worlds better then the stock suspension. Also taking about 10 lbs off the front wheel (single brake rotor) made the front very responsive. If I had to choose between more power and better suspension, I would pick suspension every time. I find motors get you into trouble, and suspension keeps you out of it. I have taken MechanicO on some crazy rough terrain at some good speed and this suspension just laughs it off. I have only bottomed out the suspension 3 times and it was when loaded with gear and not seeing a water-bar or equivalent. The bike is so much fun with it's ability to stay in control.

Now don't get me wrong, power is also fun. And even more so is torque. You have already heard me rant and rave how torque is really what you want and not HP, but it is so true and MechanicO proves this. As you saw in the dyno charts, I have been able to increase the torque of the motor and move it sooner down the RPM band. These motors are already torque machines from the factory but with the change to the intake, MechanicO is a stump puller now. I do lose it up higher in the rpm range but I do not care and I rarely go there. I do wish manufacturers would post dyno charts of their engines as we could then all see where the "real" power is on a particular bike. We should all demand more torque sooner, it is WAY too much fun.

It was not all roses though. The biggest screw-up I did was that darn ABS delete. Could not leave it alone and had to cut it out. Well, what I have not mentioned is that by doing that, it effected the ECU in some way and it lost control of the O2 sensor and it ran crazy lean. I mean like past 17:1 AFRs. That will ruin a motor. (best thing I did was install a AFR meter as that is how I spotted this). We tried everything but could not get it to gain control of the AFRs again. Just lean all the time. The fix was me running to "ebrabaek" down the road here in Colorado, getting his PowerCommanderV for the bike and plugging it it. The theory was the PowerCommander takes control of your fueling system and I desperately needed fueling control. It was a hail-mary but dam if it did not work. Perfect AFRs with this set-up. And been running it since with no issues at all.

Big thanks to some key members here as well: ebrabaek, reaver, and roger 04 rt. These guys where always patient and helpful when I would play 20 questions with them.

And for the record, only had it towed home once. Yep, the ride of shame. But I had avoided it so many times before it was time to pay the piper. And interestingly enough I was with "ebrabaek" that time so hmmmm.....

I need to state this clearly:
    NOT DONE

Things like having a Nalgene bottle for a radiator over flow tank just does not cut it. That and about 20+ other small things that need finishing up. I also have plans for:
    • Full LED front light assembly (hats off to "ebrabaek" for showing what you can do with LED and projection lights)
    • Finish the front air box with a "cowl" to go around the ignition key area
    • A two piece seat (like the GS1200 have)
    • And the big daddy, I want to replace the BMW computer with a aftermarket ECU. Don't know if I have the balls for this one, but it would be very cool to see what these motor have in them with this type of full control
    • Heck, if I can figure out how to get a NUDA900 engine (legally) into the states, that would be the "Piece de resistance".
    And I'll probably come up with more as time goes on. MechanicO and I plan to ride for many years together so I will also update this thread as I make more changes. Thanks again for following and see you in the spring.

Cheers,

Fin
    kres, ErikMotoMan, wipe-out and 11 others like this.
  12. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Finn333. To state simply "made a quick video" is testament to your humble genius.

Would it be a hijack at this point to ask about using PowerCommanderV vs
    AFxied ?
  13. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shooby likes this.
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was a cool video Fin.
    (ps) I saw Brian slip somming in ya gas tank before that ride.....:-)
  15. zgfiredude

zgfiredude RMAR

Oddometer:
    Awesome, cool vid, cool bike, great dude! I too look forward to Spring, but.......down here it's never really winter, hint, hint!
  16. cjw25

cjw25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw this overflow tank in Vegas recently, perhaps it can provide some inspiration:

IMG_7447.jpg
  17. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn, that bike is a work of art. It's a shame how those countless machining details are hidden, after you spent days and months toiling on them. Good work, and now that mechanico is wrapped up, what bike do you have on your mind next? :-)
  18. VEXX

VEXX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You sir are an incredible craftsman. Hat's off to you. If someday I'm lucky enough to go stateside I'll look you up to see the beast in person.

Enviado do meu SM-J500FN através de Tapatalk
  19. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would not be a good person to ask this as I was forced to use the PCV due to the fact the BMS-K was freaked out and I had no choice but to run that PCV.

That said, I did buy a AFxied for this project as I do think it is the simpler solution (still have, brand new if anyone is interested?). All the "stuff" you have to deal with on the PCV is too much IMHO. Lots of plugs and bypass systems. You can see it all in that thread from Erling. The ability to run custom fuel maps is nice but I question the necessity. I would like to have someone chime in with an AFxied that also has a dedicated AFR gauge and tell us what they see. That would tell us a lot about how well the AFxied works.
  20. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CJW25: excellent! Yea, I am thinking of a "glassed" based jar of a sort to keep the theme going here. A plastic jar does just not go well with MechanicO.