An 800's Rebirth/The build of MechanicO

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by FinTec, Dec 12, 2014.

1. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even better VEXX, I'll come to you! Love to ride through your area some day. Is the riding good there?
  2. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    I had such a gauge on the bike i totalled this summer. However i don't know what to tell you except that it did display a good enrichement, especially with larger loads (larger throttle openings). Not so much with very small throttle openings. I don't know why that is, didn't expect that. It did show a clear difference between settings like 7 and 8. The af-xied works as advertised. I did use a catless header and free-flowing exhaust.

Unfortunately i didn't get the time to use the gauge to properly analyse the behavior of the bike before i got in an accident. My replacement bike is getting the gauge as well. It's already installed except for the lambda sensor because i have to buy and modify catless headers after her run-in period is over.

The gauge also clearly showed when the SAS system activated when slowing down on closed throttle. My new bike is an Euro 4 (emission standards) bike and also throttle by wire. I will report on the combination with the af-xied in the coming year. I have a mate running the new bike in as we speak, because i can't drive myself yet and want to install those things at it's first service. I most certainly do like the af-xied.
  3. ramon

ramon weezin' the juice!

Oddometer:
    That bike turned out awesome! Congratulations!
  4. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pklop: So sorry to hear of your crash with your newly done build. Tear in my eye when I read that. Heal fast.....

No doubts at all the Af-Xied works, just want to confirm to what level of effectiveness and a comparison to no Af-Xied. Obviously a logger would be the best (and they make some nice sand-alone AFR gauges with built in loggers) but a visual of the gauge working would probably work fine.
    pklop likes this.
  5. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sarathmenon:
    As stated, MechanicO is not done. I consider him in a "proof of concept" mode. A bit rough around the edges and needs some finishing touches to be considered fully done.

That said, I really want to do the HP3 concept. A new water cooler GS1200, stripped down, bare essentials, some performance gains, telescopic fork in front, 21"/18" wheel set, etc. I have yet to see one done with the new water cooled bike. I have looked at all the parts diagrams on MAXBMW and the layout of the intake and gas tank is perfect for some modding there. Dear lord, it could be one bad-ass mother of a beast. I do need a donor bike so if anyone wants to volunteer theirs, lets talk!
  6. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beware of the dark side..... One...... Must..... resist.
  7. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took MechanicO on the Dolores Safari Loop last weekend. Great loop as it takes you from Fruita, to just outside of Moab, and then back to Fruita on mostly dirt. 190 miles, 7.5 hours. But you SO need to time it with the Dolores river crossing. We hit it just right at 175 CFM. I would say as you near 300 CFM-ish I would have to think about taking a bike across.

And MechanicO got to take a bath!

foogr01, Nickhob and waylongway like this.
  8. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never seen the Dolores so low. Great job. Usually only the jeeps cross there with the depth and current usually being much stronger.
    Awesome crossing!:clap:clap:clap
  9. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea, it was a gamble for sure on the Dolores. If it was not doable we literally would have to backtrack to Fruita. We where about ready to pull out boots off and walk it to see how deep and strong it was when a guy on the other side came down from his camp spot and told us he had forged it the day before and it was knee to below hip high. And no rocks either, very smooth.

It really is a great loop but the crossing kills it 90% of the year for motorbikes as far as we can tell. As you said the jeeper group does it all the time. I would put this on your calendar to do in late fall as it is worth the wait for the opening in water flow.
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I'm gonna be the idiot that asks.
    Are there not some crazy inflatable pontoon contraption that one could hang on each side and then essentially float the bike across......?
    Gotta be something ....ehhhhh.....?
  11. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    zgfiredude likes this.
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chitti Chitto bang bang....... all time fav.
    But seriously thoug. Am I the only crazy dude that can see this work.....:-)
  13. Captain Excellent

Captain Excellent Stay weird, or you'll be normal like everyone else

Oddometer:
    @Ebrabek, is that a Mexican version I didn't know about?
    Don't forget, it could fly too.
    [​IMG]

Fin, you made that river crossing look so simple, nice work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    kiwimichel likes this.
  14. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Cave Man

Oddometer:
    Fin, I've read your whole thread and enjoyed it. I'd like to ask you about something you probably thoroughly investigated at some point: I know that the principals involved in tuning an exhaust for proper scavenging are quite similar to those for tuning intake tracts for resonance to aid combustion chamber filling. Long ago I recall reading about how flat track tuners discovered that a diagonal cut on the end of an exhaust pipe made the scavenging effect of the reflected pulse effective over a broader rev range when compared to a straight cut. I am wondering if anyone has tried this out on intake snorkels? You might perhaps loose maximum effect in one spot on the dyno chart, but fatten the curve over a wider area; end up with the desired improvement to lower-RPM torque but also a smoother over-all curve? Have you encountered any exploration of this, or perhaps tested it yourself?

The effect might be similar to that achieved on some multi-cylinder engines where differing lengths of velocity stacks are used on different cylinders to make an aggregate effect, but when I've seen this done it's always been with very short straight-cut velocity stacks, not long intake runners tuned for torque. I'm wondering if there's something about an angled intake bellmouth that does counter-productive things to flow.
  17. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Singletrack_mind:

VERY interesting concept and this is the first time I have heard this one. Of course the intake concepts I applied to MechanicO translate to exhaust design as well. So I believe I can see why the torque curve gains would be spread out over a wider portion of the rpm range. I'll talk intake here, but as mentioned applies to exhaust.

On intake that wave pulse coming from the intake charge bouncing off the closed intake valve exits a 90 deg (straight cut) tube. The wave "pops" when it exits the tube and there is a now a second "wave" going into the tube and toward the intake valve. Then a third event, etc... So now we take that intake tube and cut it at say 45 degrees (diagonal cut). That same wave now comes up to this cut but being at an angle the "pop" is more diffused due to the exit being a tapered exit. So the pop has less max energy but it extended over more time. So as you stated, you get a wider increase in torque but with a loss of maximum torque. I like it!

I have not tried this myself but would certainly like to. It would be as easy as having different cut tubes and a dyno. Just sit there switching them out and testing on the dyno. Take a while and cost a bunch but some great results I am sure.

Side note: starting the next phase of MechanicO for the winter. Have more details coming up but lets just say a new brain is on its way for MechanicO. So doing some tests to get ready and needed to see what the pull was on the starter for our 800's. It peaks at start button hit at 78 amps, then holds steady between 25-36 amps. So now you know.

[​IMG]
    waylongway likes this.
  18. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, snow is coming down hard here in Colorado, MechanicO is in the shop, time to officially start...

PHASE 3 of the MechanicO Build

So up to know I feel there has been 2 Phases to MechanicO:

Phase 1: rebuild front end of bike with all new suspension and just get him up and running

Phase 2: rebuild the entire intake system for more torque sooner

Of course there was lots of little side projects and upgrades, but the above represents the meat of the phases.

So what is in store for Phase 3? This will be the least aesthetic phase but probably the most impact on his drivability and reliability. MechanicO will be getting a whole new brain. I have decided to replace the entire electronics/wiring/controls with a super bad-ass after market system. I am not going to get into it here just yet, but I am building up pictures and data as we speak and will start the report on that part of this build soon.

As a side question to the followers here, would it be helpful if I made a list with links to the various projects and phases to MechanicO on the first opening post? I have seen this done with ride reports but not a build report. I think this build will be going for quite some time and will just get larger. Even I have trouble remembering what I wrote and where here!

Buuuuut in the mean time lets start with a side project I actually did at the very end of this last riding season. I did add a Rekluse Clutch to MechanicO at the start of the season just after riding Baja and loved it. No turning back. But I always thought it was only half-way there. The elusive left hand rear brake would be the icing on the cake and the perfect match to the Rekluse clutch.

So lets start Phase 3 of MechanicO! (cue the "Getting stuff done" music)!

[​IMG]
  19. ramon

ramon weezin' the juice!

Oddometer:
  20. zgfiredude

zgfiredude RMAR

Oddometer:
    As long as it's not an Apple-based system, I'm in!