An 800's Rebirth/The build of MechanicO

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by FinTec, Dec 12, 2014.

1. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can lock the rear wheel at the LHRB lever with a strap or such. I have not done it yet, but it would work great as a parking brake if needed. And needed more if you run the Rekluse clutch as you do lose compression braking when the motor if off and in gear.

Agree on feet down, it is a last resort. Always try to ride it first. But it does happen and you can end-up feet down. LHRB does make this scenario safer though IMHO.
    waylongway likes this.
  2. njoytheride

njoytheride NJOYN' THE JOURNEY Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been reading your post from the start, what an enjoyable journey. You have skills ! The picture of Blackbear Pass is one of the best I've seen. Even though it's impossible to capture the gravity of the situation, it's close. Went down on two F800's a few years ago. The other rider had a tip over and forgot to disengage the ABS when he restarted his bike. Still one of my favorite videos when I need a laugh. Please keep the research and fabrication coming. like I said....you've got skills.
  3. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Solid build.
  4. Shane007

Shane007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just gave a quick scan of the entire thread. Incredible build. I hate you. And by that I mean, you have some seriously mad skills. However I didn't see much detail on how you hooked up the Trail Tech Voyager. Could you give some more info on how that went?
  5. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shane007,

The Trailtech Dash conversion is pretty straight forward but you have to realize the things you will be giving up over the stock dash. For example, you lose your fuel level gauge. I would just zero out the trip OD and as I got closer to max mileage (in my case about 220 miles) I fueled up. Worked fine

Speed - you need to add a magnet pickup to the front wheel
    RPM - you need to tap into one wire on the coil wires to the sparkplug
    Coolant Temp - add a coupler in the radiator line with temp sensor in it
    All indicating lights - you need to tap into all those circuits to make them show on the dash

Everything else is built into the Vapor dash itself like ambient air temp, etc.

I did this conversion because the stock dash was smashed when I bought it. Honestly, if you have a good working one, I would just keep it and run it. There was another guy here who did make a cleaner and smaller mount for the stock dash. Looked really nice and clean.

And am am no longer running the Vapor dash as I did a major overhaul of the electronics the past winter and have a custom configurable dash now from AIM. Report/update coming soon......
  6. Shane007

Shane007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Fin. I'm looking at building a mount for the stock unit. I really don't like it, but as you say, it works the best with no modifications. So I might as well make it work somehow.
  7. wipe-out

wipe-out Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And I will go looking for that 3D file over the weekend :)
  8. Shane007

Shane007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All-righty, time for the winter update of MechanicO and all his upgrades. As always, these upgrades where performed the Winter of last, 2016/17' and then I rode all this past summer and now you get the report. And oh boy, do we have some upgrades! It was a classic "down the rabbit hole" story where it started with an innocent wire shorting and then I lost control of the build. But that sometimes gives you the best results. In hind-site I did take it too far, spent way more money then one should on a bike, and almost killed the fun in working on a bike. More on that.

This is a pic of MechanicO crossing the Delores river in Nov. of 2016

[​IMG]

Soon after trip trip, the snow fell, MechanicO went in the shop and yet another full tear-down begins..

[​IMG]

and awaaaaaay we go .......
  10. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Knowing I needed to remove the motor to get the bike down to the bare frame, I figured I should make a motor stand and make life easy on myself. I have been that guy before working and dealing with a motor sitting on the floor that is hard to work on, falls on its side, can't move it, etc. So wheels where a must. The first step was to pick my take off points from the motor and make some bars that come off those

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I welded up a frame some angle steel and mounted casters on each corner. Put that frame up against the bars of the motor, tacked them on, removed the entire assembly and finished welded. Rolling stand read to go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good opportunity to wash the beast as well. With the help of Emma. It will never be this clean again!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And of course for scientific data put it on the scale. Keep in mind this is with the stand so subtract about 15 lbs and that is the weight of a BMW F800 motor, around 135 lbs.
    I have a buddy with a 125 2 stroke that the entire bike weighs this much I believe.

[​IMG]
    =o&o> and waylongway like this.
  11. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to see your build!

Why is that engine cover a different color in the last pic?
  12. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    me too.
    when i see fin333 or pklop build threads get bumped it makes me squee like a preteen at a bieber concert.
  13. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wipe-out: How goes the winter? Any plans for your bad-ass machine?

That particular picture of the weight is a bit ahead of the other pics. It shows the new cover after powder coat. There will be a LOT more powder coat and anodizing to come in this thread. It was time to get all those machined parts covered.

dpike: better then squealing like a pig I suppose!
  14. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    You got a new cover then?

My bike‘s good (I hope), I had a whole lot of work done to bring it back to life after my trip. And then some, new headers, AX-FIED... Nothing like your build though...

[​IMG]
  15. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope, same cover, just stripped paint off, removed BMW logo, and powder coated. I have done lots of de-badging on this round.

Man, love to do a side by side comparison with those headers and my Remus ones on the dyno. If I remember right they where supposed to create more low-end? Have you been able to see or feel this if true?
  16. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    Not yet, waiting for spring time... Bought them off of inmate pklop who unfortunately didn‘t get around to install them on his bike. That was a while ago but I had some issues with the bike that needed to be taken care of. I guess all the mud, grime and salt are at fault - and my lack of proper maintenance... :p
  17. cjw25

cjw25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope you have given serious consideration to the Patron bottle as coolant reservoir. If you would like something a little more unique, I can dig up a 2000 Cuervo Reserva de la Familia. Probably not empty, so would have to bring it over to the shop and finish it off
  18. 2WheelTraveler

2WheelTraveler backinthesaddleagain Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wondering about the total weight of MechanicO.
    I know that you have been carefully documenting the differences for various parts, but I'm curious if you have a total weight?
  19. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cjw25: oh, I hear you (and thank you for the offer). I actually have the perfect "can" for this. Just need to make a mount. But the current plastic bottle is so hack.....

2WheelTraveler: funny enough, have not done a final weight. I need to make an "adapter" to use the floor scale I have then I will do that. I am VERY curious as well. I have removed a bunch but added some features. Could go either way at this point, but I would hedge my bet it is lighter then stock at this point.
    cjw25 likes this.
  20. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the frame off and stripped down now was the time to make all the mods to it.

First I welded on some tabs up front to be used to mount a cowling I need to make for the from of the new air box

[​IMG]

The there was a half dozen factory riv-nuts I would be using so drilled those out, made some plugs, then welded those it. Afterwards, i filed down and made smooth.

[​IMG]

Then moved to the sub-frame that needed some serious additions. A quick list of what we need to do here on the sub-frame:
    - Machine and weld-on mounts for the racks
    - Machine and weld-on mounts for the passenger pegs (comes later)
    - Extra bosses for a tool "tube" on the right side (comes later)
    - Extra mount holes on top for a 2 pieces seat system I want to build later

First the mounts for the luggage racks and passenger pegs. Made these VERY beefy as I lost count of how many ride reports of luggage mounts failing (all brands of bikes). So i wanted these nuke proof.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next was to make a set of "rails" with a series of M6 threads on them to weld on the top of the sub-frame. This will let me design a two piece seat system down the road and have a place to mount the interface for that. A two piece system like the GS1200 have is something I really like and want. If just me on bike, I plan to remove the passenger seat and put the rear mounted gear there. Center of mass more, well, in center. Good stuff.

So basic fit check on sub-frame with seat

[​IMG]

Then machine up the threaded "rails"

[​IMG]

Drill clearance holes in Sub-Frame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weld them in

[​IMG]

Then make a few additional mounts for the up coming tool "tube" and some other goodies

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sub-frame all done. Back to main frame.
    waylongway likes this.