An 800's Rebirth/The build of MechanicO

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by FinTec, Dec 12, 2014.

1. fstanchina

fstanchina n00b

Oddometer:
    Did you sandblast the swingarm? Maybe I lost the post about it (man, this thread is getting long!)
    Did you then have it anodizer or something?
  2. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fstanchina,

Good eye on the swing arm! That is coming up next. But yes, it has been stripped and redone. Pics to come......
    fstanchina likes this.
  3. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Need to remove the bearings on the swing arm so we can work on it.

Lathed up these three items so we can both remove and drive back in the bearings. They have to be driven "outward" thus the need to reach through the swing arm on the press

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note/tip on "cupped needle" bearing like these: when you drive them back in you can collapse the side of the bearing using if you use a flat driving tool (like a socket). Even more probable if you hammer it in and not press in.
    The surface of the driving tool should have about a 15 deg inward taper to it so you are only drive onto the OD of the bearing.
    If you have ever driven in these types of bearing and they are just not as smooth as when you took them out, now ya know!
  4. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now a little machining on the swing arm. More just to remove un-needed stuff, lighten it up a bit, and just general clean-up.

In the second pic I drilled and tapped two M8 holes on the bottom/drive side of the swing arm. These could be used to mount a chain guide down the road. I believe there might have been plans for this as there are actually two spots right there that are raised up and flat.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then take outside to my "open air" strip booth to remove the factory paint. Have a proper strip booth on the X-mas list as doing this outside means I loose most of the media and a pile of it ends up down my shirt and in my ears.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sooooooooooooo........ whatcha riding in the meantime......:-):-):-):-)
  6. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding!!!! The weather is just too good right now. So many passes here in Colorado opened early.

Rolling with MechanicO and a bunch of small bikes in Moab

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last weekend in Buena Vista with a BMW ride group

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Great day in Buena Vista except I had to limp home with a broken clutch cable. I made it but I looked like an idiot at every stop light in the towns I had to ride through. Stumble to stop, then lurch in gear-start to get going.

Learned a LOT about the Rekluse clutch. I always thought I would be alright if my clutch cable broke as the Rekluse would allow me to get home. I even tested it and did all shifting and stop/starts with no clutch. Buuuuuut, when the cable breaks, the clutch arm relaxes all the way, clutch basket goes into full clamp, and Rekluse no worky. The solution is the hard stop for the clutch through arm down near case. I need to make that hard stop like Snowy did. On my list. And also, very disappointed in the MotionPro cable I have made for clutch only 4 years ago and 14k miles. Should have not failed this early. But I did figure out why. More on that.

What the hell are you up to Erling? Did that conviction finally catch up to you :D
    waylongway and Tigershark48 like this.
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not yet.... Lol. Been occupied with our next gen ping system on our winged creature, as that takes in effect globally in 2020. Almost done beta testing the Rekluse manual clutch for the 1200 though....:-):D:beer
    Are ya by any chance going to attend the BMW ralley in Peonia in a few weeks. I know we don't necessarily fit into those, but it could be fun.....:wings
  8. wipe-out

wipe-out Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0141.JPG

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
  9. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    You‘re welcome :D

10. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Ok look, it's wipe-out.

When you stopping in again?
  11. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    Wouldn‘t mind being in Costa Rica right now...

12. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gaaaa, I know guys, slacking. But good news is riding a lot abd just got back from IDBDR yesterday. 8 freaking great days doing the route from North to West. MechanicO performed as planned.

Have a lot to tell on the latest upgrades and to be honest, as always, probably see me update these come late Fall into Winter. So hold tight, more to come.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to see the next round of upgrades! Keep it coming Fin:clap:clap:clap
  14. epylypzon

epylypzon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On my bike i have tried to disconect the abs module. But then i lost speedometer. Didn`t you loose that?
  15. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    epylypzon, not sure what you are referring too on my project as I do not use the stock dash. But if you disconnected the front wheel pick-up sensor that would kill the dash speedo. I think removing power to the ABS modual itself is the only way to do this. But I have not done it on my project, so cannot confirm.
  16. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aaaaaaand back.

As I write this we have a huge winter storm kicking our-ass. MechanicO knew what was coming. Time to make some more mods to him! But before I can show you the stuff going down this winter, I have to finish up the last winters' build. And man, I made a HUGE commitment on a particular upgrade and it nearly killed me....but in the end worth it. More on that.

And also a few more shots of MechanicO and I enjoying our trip on the IDBDR just to prime the pump...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you look carefully, you can see some of the physical changes to MechanicO.....but what you can't see is he actually has a new nervous system and brain. And damn, is he better for it!
    waylongway likes this.
  17. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just as I had stripped down the swing-arm, I did the same to both left and right engine covers. However, I also machined off the "BMW" logo from each one.
    For the record, this is not a anti-BMW move. Quite the opposite, I picked this bike for this project for a reason, best platform for what I wanted to do. But I am not a big logo guy in general for three reasons:
    1) I don't care that people know what I am riding. A matter of fact, I prefer if they did not know and had to guess or ask. Makes for a great conversation starter.
    2) If the manufacture is not paying me, I feel no obligation to run their logos. I sort-of chuckle when I see someone wearing a shirt and the logo of the shirt takes the entire front of the shirt. So you not only gave them money to buy it, but now you are going to advertise for them....for free? I don't get it.
    3) I like the clean look. Logo's and stickers are just not my style.

* as a side note, I saved at least 48 grams machining them off......and I am more aerodynamic....ish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shooby likes this.
  18. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time to finalize the fuel delivery system I have always wanted. If you remember, I made a billet aluminum fuel rail HERE. This was to replace the janky composite factory one that actually broke as I un-installed it. The next two items to address is the cheesy-assed plastic fuel nipple coming out of the fuel tank and removing the in-tank fuel filter for an exterior one with replaceable filter element. So lets start with the fuel nipple out of the fuel tank. I modeled this up to be made from aluminum and will be using a -4AN O-ring port for the fuel fitting.

[​IMG]

First I will lathe up all the round work on the lower half of the part, then use mill to do the upper features. Thought about doing this on the CNC lathe but I would spend a few hours coding it when I can do it in under an hour on the manual. Printed out my dimensions and head over to the lathe.

[​IMG]

Blank in lathe jaws

[​IMG]

Take down OD profiles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Use grooving tool to make grooves for two O-rings

[​IMG]

And then drill through hole for fuel flow. Note: all ID dimensions for everything I did on fuel system never went below factor dimensions. If anything I oversize as that is safer than undersizing. Don't want to choke a motor for fuel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I had to drill out the molded in nipple on the underside of the gas-tank fitting.

[​IMG]

Testing it with the piece i just made from lathe

[​IMG]

Just seeing how much clearance I have for the new fitting coming into the new part at 90 degrees.

[​IMG]

Go to CNC mill and clamp er'down

[​IMG]

Did not show this but the way I made those side grooves is I first drilled into the above blank with a 1/8" drill in a radial pattern. Then when the end-mil cut the profile, 1/2 the hole is left over creating the grove you see. Much easier then trying to do after the fact.

[​IMG]

The re-fixture to drill and thread -4AN port.

[​IMG]

Did not show here, but also machined flats on the base and drilled two holes for mounting. Final piece with o-rings installed. Not sure why they have two different colored o-rings here (factor set-up) but I ran then in same order as stock. My theory is the top one is for just keeping out water and crap and the lower green one is to seal in the fuel. Different materials for different jobs.

[​IMG]

And here is a shot of the new fitting in the gas tank top with the fuel pump line now directly going into it (stock fuel filter removed).

[​IMG]
    1994klr250, Shooby, Bayner and 5 others like this.
  19. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So lets talk about the remote fuel filter we will be using. Credit needs to go to "Indy Unlimited" as he was the one I originally saw using this one on his 800. It is a Holley/Earls product shown in the below picture

[​IMG]

Really a great product as it can be ordered with various fittings on end (I use the -4AN one) and it is take a replaceable paper based filter you can also get from Holley for $12. Keep in mind, being fuel injected the filter MUST be a 10 micron filter. Now look at our stock filter vs the new Holly/Earls one

[​IMG]

Smaller, I know. But this is the deal, the stock one is (if I researched this right?) supposed to be good for over 40k miles (obviously quality of gas will effect this). So to do this they make it huge. The Holly one is designed for automobiles so I figure if I change it out every 15k miles, I will be fine. For $12, it is less than an oil change.

Now we need a place to locate it and a way to fasten it down. No, there will be no zip-ties here. Hack.

So I came up with a spot on the left side frame right above the clutch cover. But needed a clamp to hold it to frame and not a lot of room here. Designed this

[​IMG]

Easy split clamp that the clamp bolt will also act as a mount bolt to frame.

Load a blank in the mill, drill a through hole to help the end mill out

[​IMG]

Cut the profile and ID of the clamp

[​IMG]

Flip over and take down the backside flange

[​IMG]

Clamped in vice so I can machine a counter bore and hole for clamp bolt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then bring out the slitting saw to make a slot so it actually acts as a clamp. This tool always makes me pucker a bit. If some thing goes wrong, it will be bad.

[​IMG]

Little cleanup and and an hour in the tumbler, we have a fuel filter clamp

[​IMG]

Now this is what the filter looks like with all hoses and fitting attached with clamp. Used the same hose from before as it is a real nice light weight Kevlar enforced, high-temp race hose. And I used serviceable fittings so can change out hose on road if needed.

[​IMG]

Hose now attached to new gas tank fitting

[​IMG]

And filter/clamp assembly onto frame. Only had to drill one 6mm hole into frame.

[​IMG]

I like the set-up for several reasons:

- I can inspect and change the fuel filter without dicking around with the gas tank system
    - Filters are $12
    - Maybe acts as a passive fuel cooler? OK, might be reaching here, but makes me feel good that it might.
    - The volume saved from removing filter from tank and the additional volume in remote filter body adds .4 OZ to my total fuel holding capacity! .....definitely over stepping here. Sorry. Ignore this one :D
  20. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now, as I alluded to the other post, there is a new brain coming for MechanicO. So one thing I will need is a pressure sensor in the intake manifold that measures MAP, or Manifold Absolute Pressure. This allows you to tune an engine with a certain level of precision and flexibility. You see this a lot on forces inducted vehicles (turbo or super charger) but they can be run on normally aspirated engines. However, this MAP sensor needs a solid non-fluctuating signal and the way it does this normally is by putting the sensor in the intake manifold, and more specifically, the plenum. The plenum is usually easy to spot, it is the large volume area on the intake manifold that is fed from the single throttle body and then runners come off it to each cylinder. However, we have an difference with our bikes (and most multi-cylinder bikes have this same issue) we don't have a plenum, we have individual runners with their own throttle bodies. Also knows as ITB, Individual Throttle Bodies.

So if you put the MAP sensor into one of these ITB, say where the IAC gets its feed (after throttle body) you get a very erratic signal as that single cylinder/valve opens and closes. So the trick to getting a good signal is to create a quazi-plenum, or some call a "vacuum log". You take the vacuum signal from all cylinders and route them to one single space or volume. Then put the MAP sensor in that and you get the equalized signal from all cylinders. Here is a picture of one plumbed up for a automotive application to get the point

[​IMG]

So we needed to make a vacuum log for this project for the new brain comping up and thus allowing us to run a better tuning system.

Going to run through this fast on making this guy. First scouting location for vacuum log. I used a 1.25" x .035" wall aluminum tube

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Start cutting the parts

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice finish I like to do is after welding put back on lathe and turn down the weld to get a clean look

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the final vacuum log. The brass 90 deg nipples on each end taker the vacuum signal from each throttle body, the silver fitting in the middle goes to the idle air control valve, the sensor in the middle reads manifold pressure (MAP), and I added two brass/glass view ports on ech end because I thought they looked cool. And when the bike is running you can actually SEE the vacuum :hmmmmm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But alas, this beautiful part I spent a good day making ends up not being used. Argh!! More on that later.