1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

An 800's Rebirth/The build of MechanicO

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by FinTec, Dec 12, 2014.

1. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now to tackle a project I have been putting off for a while. Remember the carbon fiber-intake runners I made? Well, I never really did finish them, I got them to a point where they worked but not optimally. The intake end is a straight cut tube with no bell-mouth and the end that goes into the throttle bodies is very thin material and has a lip going into the TB.

Here they are as I have been running them for a while now

[​IMG]

First is the bell-mouth inlets.

Why a bell-mouth? Having a nice tapered entrance into a tube that is "suck'n in" air at high velocities helps keep the volumetric efficiency of the motor as high as it can be. Funny enough, the motor ran pretty dang strong like this but I know there is some untapped power there if I add a nice bell-mouth.

Now you REALLY want to get into it, read this PDF called "Best Bell" (thanks to "mmrwwhite" for the link!) where they go WAY into the science and engineering of a bell-mouth. I learned a lot but at the end of the day I looked at what BMW did on the stock intakes and made some guesses of my own and modeled up this shape for the bell-mouth

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did think about turning these from aluminum on my CNC lathe but I just could not stand to put aluminum onto those beautiful CF intakes. So by going with CF, I needed to make a "plug" from this shape to put the CF over. I made a model based from the original shape for the plug

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This plug will absolutely have to be made on the CNC lathe as these are some crazy contours that would be difficult (if not impossible) on a manual lathe. Sooooo lets do it......
    spencermarkd likes this.
  2. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wil the design in hand we head to the lathe with a chuck on 5" Diameter 6061 T6511 aluminum and mount her up on the jaws and make the first cleanup pass

[​IMG]

Final shape done

[​IMG]

Tools used: an outside profiler, a drill, and a pick-off tool

[​IMG]

Part hitting the bottom of the machine after pick-off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You need to polish the bajeezus out of an aluminum part so the CF will not stick to it

[​IMG]

The center hole though the plug does two things, lets me bolt it to the base plate (threaded the back of the hole and when we go to remove the CF from plug can put air in that port and blow the CF shape of the plug. Air pressure is a great way to release parts. Use it when you can.

Wax up both the plugs and the base plate

[​IMG]

Getting my CF blanks cut and ready

[​IMG]

Just doing some math to figure out how much epoxy to make for this much CF weave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Theses are the parts already laid-up with CF weave and epoxy then put under vacuum. Turn-off the lights, go home, and come back next day....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using air, pop them off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK, screwed up here. Totally forgot to take pics of cutting the final bell-mouths from the raw CF molds. Just a lot of band-saw work, sanding, check fit, sand more, etc. Once they fit nice and snug over existing runners, epoxied them into place. Once dry, used a Dremel and sanding drum to sand down inside seam and make nice and smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks good, adds to better VE flow, and makes the end more rigid to resist damage. Just need to finish the exit end and these intake tube with a Kabillion hours in them are done!
  3. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Again, the exit end of these tubes is super thin and do not fit that well into the rubber coupler that attaches them to the throttle bodies. They needed to be re-enforces and allow for a better fit. I originally was going to try and lay-up some CF into the inside of the tubes and then sand down to final dimension. But figured what a pain in the ass and I might not be able to get 100% the same shape and create some un-even flow. Not good. So decided to lathe up some inserts that I will then epoxy into the ID of the tube.

[​IMG]

You can see here the ID of the CF tube does not match the rubber coupler and there is a decent lip where they meet.

[​IMG]

Done on manual as these inserts will be a basic shape.

[​IMG]

What is nice is I was able to "walk" the OD of the insert down to create a perfect slight press fit into the tube while the part is still in the jaws.

[​IMG]

Now to take down the ID to match the coupler and where it starts in the tube I basically made a "knife" edge so there was little sanding to blend it in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Applied some epoxy, pressed them in, some final sanding to take down glue lines and we are good to go.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the the two intake tubes in the air box so you can see the new bell-mouths and how they fit. Bit tight, but it all works. [​IMG]
  4. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You got mad skills, and patience.
    ADVwxyz likes this.
  5. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before we can proceed to the final (and big) project in this stage, need to send all the parts I have made out for anodizing. As it is time to make an attempt at some form of aesthetics on MechanicO. Sure, he looks like a sciences experiment right now but I hope to slowly add some style to him.

Good lord, I sure do have a bunch of parts for the anodizer

For Black
    [​IMG]

For clear anodize

[​IMG]

And then the frame and rear sub-frame for powder coat

[​IMG]

Along with engine cases, swing arm, and triple clamps

[​IMG]

And then the wait.....

waiting....

waiting....

The call! The parts are ready. Here is what we ended up with

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even had the steer tube I made clear zinced coated

[​IMG]

And the frames came out fantastic. went with a bronze color

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just for fun and while I had apart here are some of the weights

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installed the steer tube and bearings

[​IMG]

Original engine case (spare) next to my new one

[​IMG]

With most custom machining done (for now) time to assemble the bike and start the final project, but first a sad note.....
    HermanTM likes this.
  6. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Soon after the picture below Emma, the best damn dog in the world, died of lymphoma (cancer of the lymphoids). It was long, it was intense, we tried all kinds of meds and therapy, but nothing took. She passed away at the too soon age of 6.

[​IMG]

RIP Emma

I always disliked some of mother natures engineering. As brilliant as she is, I believe she failed with dogs. As sub-15 (typically) year life span just plain sucks. And is cruel. Then add cancer and super-fail.

Emma was a rescue dog as she was found running around the orchards in Phoenix, AZ and she was about 1 when I got her. Took some training but she became one hell of a shop dog. And a shop with no dog is far too quiet and lifeless.

See you on the other side Emma.

P.S. Fuck you cancer
  7. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about Emma. Dogs live short but brilliant lives. Hope you get a new shop dog soon to help with the grieving. RIP Emma
    FireDog45 and machinebuilder like this.
  8. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked

Oddometer:
    Since you rescued her I’m sure she wouldn’t trade a day for the life she was given.
    Dogs are pretty cool that way...
    Still sucks though
    machinebuilder likes this.
  9. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    Yup been there a few times.

Just remember thoughts of Emma are happy days.
    FireDog45 likes this.
  10. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    sorry for your loss. the unconditional love of a dog is one of the pure simple joys in life.
    FireDog45 likes this.
  11. Shane007

Shane007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Can you pretty please make me one of these!?!?!? I know, I know.....liability. I'll sign a waiver. Either that or let me come out and make my own while you hold my hand so I get it right. I'll bring beer. Really good Belgian beer. Lots of it.
  12. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Three things:

First, thanks all for the kind words on Emma, her passing, and why dogs rule.

Second, Shane007: man, love to help you but as mentioned in PM, just go to Emig Racing as those guys can also build that steering tube for you. But yes, converting to 4860 WP front forks is the best mod you van do for these bikes. Hands down.

Third: does anyone know what the ADVRider forum changed on its mechanism for letting you know there is a new post on a thread you have subscribed too? I have several threads I subscribe to and they rarely now let me know there are new posts in them? And I have selected to e-mail me when new posts made. What changed here?
  13. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    Yeah go to the top RHS and look for alerts, on the alerts you can go to ALL your alerts list. Note that if you miss one alert ADVrider system stops ending you an alert
  14. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    It just doses that sometimes...? :scratch

If you go to your watched threads and click on a few you will start getting alerts again....:dunno
  15. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm, yea it seems random right now. But agree, it does seem to know if I go to a thread I am subscribed too and send me notices of new posts. But sometimes I get a notice for no reason. Odd.

waylongway: good to see you over here, how goes your project? I look in now and then but have not seen the bike in a while?
  16. zgfiredude

zgfiredude RMAR

Oddometer:
    Fin, so sorry to hear about Emma...I recently lost my pal Harley after 14.5 years.....the pain is real.

I'll swing by soon and see if you're around :-)
  17. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    B,

Great to hear from you! And sorry about Harley. But have comfort your pal made it to the "finish line" so to speak. Good long life.

Stop by anytime, you know where the shop is. Just look for where the smoke is and the cops......
    zgfiredude likes this.
  18. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, time to get serious with MechanicO. This stage of his evolution came about after a single event made me decide it was time to do this.....

It was supposed to be a multi-day ride up north into Wyoming but on day one it was rained out. Pisser. So I ended up riding to the town of Meeker and had a great dinner and drinks with friends/riders ebrabaek and zgfiredude. The next morning we took off towards the town of Rifle in a light rain. Then it happened, MechanicO just stopped. Motor died. Coasted to side of road and spent way too long trying to get him to start. Just turned over and over and over.

It came down to this that day: I had to tow MechanicO home on a AAA flatbed. For me that is the lowest of the lows and a direct comment to my work and engineering. Humility galore! I vowed right then never again would an electrical gremlin stop me.

Of course when we got home the bike had dried out (roads clear all the way back home) and he started right up. Hmmmm. So had an idea, took him over to car wash, lightly sprayed him down and sure enough, no start again. I spent a huge amount of time with meter and such chasing it down. Nothing. At this point you have to realize MechanicO had an absolute Frankenstein wiring harness. He had dozens of splices, removed OEM items like the ABS (he did NOT like that one at first if you remember that project), additional electronics added, Power Commander, pizza warmer, crap, shit, etc. I did the best I could and make all splices clean but eventually I started to lose track. The stock wiring diagram became useless and I was lost. At this point I knew what we had to do, it was time to put a stand-alone aftermarket ECU in MechanicO with entire new custom wiring harness.

So after WAY too much research I decided to go with a Motec unit, their M130 series. Not only that, I opted to also include their PDM15 unit and one of their keypads. See below:

[​IMG]

For clarification, the M130 unit is the ECU that controls and logs all motor aspects. The PDM15 is a Power Distribution Modual that controls all the power aspects of the bike (i.e. lights, power to motor and sensors, horn, etc). Solid state so there are no relays or fuses. Just like the stock ZFE unit on the BMW. And the best part is I have FULL 100% control of everything. And I mean everything. All you need is a laptop and you are off and running. And the logging ability is incredible. You pick and choose what to log and at what frequency. With hours of memory built in. The programmable keypad will let me control certain aspects of the system with custom functions and such. Get into that more later.

And as far as I am concerned Motec is about as good as it gets for mere mortals. If you are a fan of Ken Blocks "Hoonigan" series on YouTube, those are all (I think, I know the Hoonicorn is) powered by Motec ECUs. And I know the handful of Baja race vehicles I have been around have used the Motec as well. They are the standard for performance and reliability.

For reference here are some physical comparison to stock units

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And saved .81 lbs in the process as well. Fuck yea!

Also gotta make sure the drapes match the carpet, we'll be adding a new true TFT dash from AIM

[​IMG]

Again full programmable, multiple screens, bells, whistles, lasers, blah, blah, blah. I did want to use a Motec dash as those are fantastic as well but they where about twice the cost as the AIM and my budget was already beat down from the ECU and PDM.

So lets do this......
    GREWUPIN_D11 likes this.
  19. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First we need to do some mechanical/hardware tasks to get ready for the new electronics. By far the most important aspect we needed to figure out was where was top dead center (TCD) on this damn motor. This is vital to know as the ECU has to know where the TDC on piston #1 (our left cylinder) in order to run the functions for the engine. It does this by using a crank position sensor (CPS) that looks at a bunch of teeth on the rotor flywheel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the first shot above you'll see the teeth on the back side of the rotor. And sort of hard to see, but you will notice there are two teeth missing. This is the reference point. The CPS in the second picture looks for those missing teeth and then knows where the motor is. There is also a cam position sensor that also tells the ECU what stoke the engine is in (compression/squish or exhaust/blow) as these are 4 strokes and that needs to be known.

So I needed a way to figure out where the CPS exactly was on the flywheel when the #1 piston was at TDC. Of course I came up with all these clever ways to stick one of my machining indicators into the bore and watch the piston move the needle, etc. But looked online and saw this crazy easy way to do it. Duh, there is always an easier way!

I needed to be able to see into the flywheel when everything was assembled and the motor running. I was given a used right engine casing from inmate "goyko" (huge thanks again!) and proceeded to machine a "window" on the top we could use as a view port

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then using my lathe I made a tool that had the same threads as the sparkplug with an adjustable screw on the bottom (to change the length as needed).

[​IMG]

Insert this into cylinder #1

[​IMG]

And then ever so gently rotate (using wrench on flywheel) the motor clockwise unto the piston stops as it hits the screw head on the inserted tool. Use Sharpy to mark spot on flywheel. The rotate engine counter clockwise until piston hit tool again and stops. Mark that spot on flywheel. You end up with two marks on the flywheel. The spot directly between (last picture) them is TDC for cyclinder #1. Done!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep

Oddometer:
    So much fun watching your passion!!!!