An 800's Rebirth/The build of MechanicO

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by FinTec, Dec 12, 2014.

1. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did know one thing about starting a new wiring harness, I need to make a wiring diagram as I went along. I looked into a few programs designed for wiring diagrams and such but they where all crazy complicated and had high learning curves. I just used Adobe Illustrator.

You could do a harness without a diagram but I would suggest NOT. It is so easy to get lost and if you make one you have a reference for down the road. It sucks to make, but worth it.

As mentioned before, the work you will see in these diagrams makes for lame blog pics but believe me, took huge hours. And as I went along I kept updating it so the one below is iteration #10.

[​IMG]

One aspect I wanted was to try and keep the harness for the M130 and the PDM15 as separate as possible. I think there are only three points that they share and those have plugs so they can be separated. I also various charts to keep track of sensors used, pins on M130/PDM they go to, wire gauge they use, etc. This will also be helpful down the road to figure out any issues.

The only thing it does not show is the CanBus circuit. I have a separate diagram for that to keep things clean. If want to see it, let me know.

Again, take the time to do this, it was beyond helpful as I made the harness. And insures when you turn the key to "on" that first time to have not made a big ball of fire.
    Bli55, Shooby and Bayner like this.
  2. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couple of items to show as I got read to make the harness.

First is lots of the high quality wire I described earlier. This stuff was pricey so I tried to get just what I needed.

[​IMG]

Then a shit-load of high-grade Raychem DR heat shrink tubing. There will be none of that corrugated plastic crap of tape-wrap. Heat-shrink gives you the toughest wire wrap you can make. Bought 8 different diameters from 1/8" up to 1 1/2".

[​IMG]

My plan was to also clearly mark all wires and plugs so re-assembly will be easier. So I used a small label printer to make labels and then put them on the wires using clear heat-shrink tube. Not going anywhere and super-tough.

[​IMG]

These where not cheap but after the fact, I would not do it any other way. I bought two Deutsch kits. One is for medium current application, other for higher current stuff. You do need a special crimper and there is a technique to learn, but once you do, you are making very solid and sealed connectors. The kits contain male and female plugs and sockets from 2 wire up to 12 wire.

[​IMG]

Another set of plugs I used on this is now one of my favorites. These are Molex Mizu P25 plugs and sockets. They are super mini and go down to 22 gauge wire. I used a crap load of these up front in the dash area for various reasons. Fully sealed and water proof. And they make up to 4 wire connectors.

[​IMG]

Then a big-old tube of Dow Corning dielectric grease. There have been pages of articles written on why you should use this on all connectors and I agree with those concepts. It seals actual pins and wires inside the connectors so if any moisture does get in there it will not corrode the wires and such. I also put a little on the rubber gasket of the plugs themselves and they come apart with about half the effort. Every plug on MechanicO had this compound grease used on it.

[​IMG]

Harness making time.....
  3. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting your progress FinTech , in the one pic is that a Grizzly lathe in the background ?

Rick
  4. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Strawdog,

That is a Jet 13x40 lathe. I bought it at an auction about 15 years ago. Made quite a few upgrades over the years (as you will) to get it to do what I need. Biggest thing you must have is DRO (Digital Read Out). This gives you a digital number reference to were you are and/or need to go. Some old timer-machinist might balk at this but to hell with counting dial turns, the DRO is a huge time saver and makes the machine more accurate. Ended up spending more on tooling and fixtures over the years then I did for the lathe.

Yea, I would love a Hardinge or Clausing, etc. but the Jet is a good compromise. If you get an Asian made machine just make sure it is made in Taiwan and not China. IMHO night and day on quality.

[​IMG]
  5. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    A build to make all other F800's jealous as heck! Love all the custom work, keep up the amazing work! Just don't loose sight of that goal, to RIDE!!!:ricky
  6. spencermarkd

spencermarkd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see a few verrrrry interesting things on that wiring diagram...

on board air?
    two horns?
    pannier charging?

Looking forward to the next few posts! Fantastic work on the harness diagram.
  7. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    Good to know on lathe been looking just haven't found one yet
  8. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea, I call it "input/output orgy". You have this list of how many inputs and outputs you can use on the Motec system and so you put all the things in you need first. Then you notice you have say 5 inputs and 3 outputs left over, so you start coming up with things to add because "I'll be damned if I don't get my money's worth" and use everything this system has. And it is easy to do at this point so you just add stuff.

So yes, I have some items I have always wanted like on-board air (design and build on that to come) and a plug/lead I can plug into my panniers and charge things like notebook and other electronics inside the panniers while riding.

But you can get carried away trying to find homes for these spare inputs/outputs. At one point I was going to put a temp sensor inside the gas tank and measure fuel temp. Why? Not sure, just though it would be cool monitor this and the Motec does have a fueling table that adjusts for fuel temp. Eventually you have to reel yourself in and realize what really works on an adventure bike.

But oil slick, smoke screen, and tire spikes, totally going to happen :smooch
  9. Barry T

Barry T n00b

Oddometer:
    WeChat Image_20190429111338.jpg

Finally got my F800GS legally on the road in Beijing.

Keep up the amazing work Fin.
  10. Deathsoswiftly

Deathsoswiftly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what seat is that?
  11. Barry T

Barry T n00b

Oddometer:
  12. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, harness making time. As mentioned earlier, by far the lamest thing to show in a project write-up. Hey, check-out the crimping on this wire! And the next 100+ of them that are the same! Yawn....

This was the base for making the harness. I used a wood base to hold the ECU/PDM down while I wired in the various items. In front of me (left to right) was the (ever changing) wire diagram, a wire diameter chart, CanBus chart, and sensor list. Without this in front of me I would lose track of where I am and what i was doing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First up though is I redid the entire charging circuit. New wire, shrink tubing and connectors for the Regulator/Rectifier

[​IMG]

Various shots of the process as it inches forward. Going slooooowwwww to make sure it is right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    spencermarkd likes this.
  13. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After god knows how many connectors and wiring pulls we end up with these money shots of the final harness

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I was able to program the dash to show what I wanted here is a shot of the two screens I made. I can do up to 5 screens but after a while it gets silly.

Dash area as a whole

[​IMG]

Here is the main screen I call the Rally Screen. This is the one it defaults to and I use 95% of the time. Shows just the basics to keep me in check and make sure MechanicO is not melting himself down. For some reason I really like seeing the gear indicator in large numbers. I have no idea why, but I get comfort knowing what gear I am in all the time. "Oh look, I am in 4th, I have two more to go. I can go faster".

[​IMG]

Screen two I call the "Data Screen". I can go here and look further into the condition of MechanicO. I also have master Odometer and two trip meters. And yes, you are looking at throttle position and ignition timing. Just interesting to see what these do while riding. And actual the throttle position has been a huge tool for tuning with the ability to hold at same spots every time. But it is a bit addicting, at one point I have injector duty cycle %. Neat to watch, but after a while, who cares. One I want to try next is show current to fuel pump. I figure if a fuel pump is getting ready to go, you should see the amps climb. I could figure out what that threshold is, and then program dash to show a warning the fuel pump current is dangerously high. The possibilities are endless and I will just have to try some and see which ones have practical value or are just cool to see.

What is something you have always wanted to see on a dash?

[​IMG]

And then came that faithful day when time to lite up MechanicO and see if his new brain will bring him back to life.

The Motec tech I am working with (Nick) was fantastic through all this. He created a "base map" that was designed just to get MechanicO started and running at a safe level. Then the plan is to take him to the Dyno and really tune the engine. here I am loading the base map

[​IMG]

I should have taken a video but I was too excited to see if he ran. All sensors showing what they should show, fuel pressure at 67 psi, turning motor over with no spark showed oil pressure, etc. Time to hit the start button.......

MO: GASP......*sputter, sputter, sputter*....where am I?

And he runs! He is a live and kicking. Running rough, and we spent a good day just tweaking some of the sensors, outputs, inputs. Getting the bike to idle smoothly was a challenge. But as I have learned over the months, cold start and idle are two BIG challenges on a new motor map. To this day we are still tweaking those. Has strange things like the IAC valve was making a strange buzzing sound. We figured out we need to change it's operating frequency, not it is quiet. This went on and on until we had confidence to take to dyno.

A trip back to Boulder MotorSports where I booked the dyno for the day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did NOT go as planned and had to get the Motec guy to log in remotely and help tune MechanicO. Nine hours (yes, nine) later we where done on the dyno. Good lord that was tiring. Standing in a small room looking at a screen while a motor is screaming away 2 feet from you is fatiguing! But very satisfying. And at the end of it, he was running very strong. But here is the deal, you never really are done tuning. First, the dyno gets you really close, but actually riding it and logging the data gives you a really world look at the motor and how to make it better. The dyno is just not good at transient tuning, this can only be done while riding. And you can basically do this for ever. To this day i still send logs to Nick at Motec who comes through them and makes some minor tweaks and send me back a new motor map. Currently we are on v52! But it is kind of fun as every time I get a new map MechanicO is just a little better.

Now for the bad news, I wanted to have a dyno chart of the new ECU/tune compared to the original. With the 9 hours of tuning we did we actually never logged a final pull. Just forget to as it did not seem important at time. So no direct comparison right now. However, even if we did have a pull from that day, after 50+ tweaks to map since then it would not have been a good indicator of the final tune. My plan is to continue to "e-tune" tune through this summer and then bring in for a basic pull on the dyno. Then we can compare. So expect that next.

I can tell you this. now that the fuel and ignition are tuned EXACTLY to the custom intake I made, MechanicO is amazing. The down low grunt comes on fast and pulls through the RPM range. It does seem to drop-off sooner (high RPM) but that was expected and was shown in those earlier dyno tests of the intake. But damn does he pull hard in the low to mid-range. And throttle response is crisp and fast. And on de-acceleration the exhaust makes that crackle-pop sound I love. Very happy with the results and so is MechanicO I believe.

MO: Me like! Lets go somewhere....

Who said that?
  14. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And with that, we are done with Phase Three of the rebirth of MechanicO. I have a LOT more planned and I am certainly not done. We need to put a proper front headlight and screen on him, finish the cowl on the air-box, wiring in some of the accessories (on-board air, in luggage charging, etc), and still have some side items on the ECU to get to (multiple maps for economy and poor gas quality, knock control). But those will come with time as MechanicO is a rolling proof-of-concept. I'll just keep adding to him until he says stop.

So as someone said a few posts, "don't forget to ride!". And ride me and MechanicO have been doing. Some of our adventures since phase three complete:

Maiden trip up to Mount Bross just south of Breckenridge. Figured a good high-altitude ride was in order.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Big 6 days loop of Colorado to Moab and back

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The an incredible week of doing the IDBDR with three buddies

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MO: hell yea, that was fun!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OK, going to check-out for a while as it is spring now and will not be spending much time on upgrading MechanicO until next winter. More then. Have a great summer all!
    FireDog45, HermanTM and Nickhob like this.
  15. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wait, not done yet! MechanicO and I just signed up for the BMW Trophy Qualifier next weekend in Californian:

[​IMG]

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/discover/events/int-gs-trophy-2020-qualifier.html

As per website:

BMW Motorrad has hosted the biennial International GS Trophy for adventure-thirsty riders since 2008. The event has taken participants to Tunisia, South Africa, Patagonia, Canada, Thailand – and, most recently, Mongolia for a week of hard-core adventure riding, special tests and teamwork challenges. Five teams crossed the starting line in the first GS Trophy. Last year’s event saw 19 teams from 25 nations taking part. In 2016, the first-ever women's team joined in, and women riders have been competing ever since.

So next week (May 31 to June 2nd) they hold a qualify event in Castaic, CA to pick the three riders to be the USA team for the big event in New Zealand in Feb of 2020. No expectations but I thought it was a good excuse to take MechanicO out to the west coast and meet a bunch of fellow enthusiasts. Just sounds like a good time.

I did read the rules several times and when I registered and I was VERY adamant to ask the nice BMW helper-lady if it was ok if the bike was modified. Basically, as long as the bike is a registered BMW GS series bike, you can participate. Well, that is all MechanicO and I need to hear, we are going! But I am sure there will be some, hmmm, inquiries as to the original of MechanicO :lol3

MO: F*&% those guys

So not sure how this works but the rules also say there are possible points awarded for your "social media" coverage for you participating in the event. As per rules:

Generating content on social media may be included as part of the event scoring.

Well, I don't do FaceBook so any help you guys can give us to create some coverage of MechanicO at the trophy event would be appreciated. Maybe link to this thread?

I'll have a report when we get back. Wish us luck!

[​IMG]
    Shooby, HermanTM, FireDog45 and 2 others like this.
  16. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome update!
  17. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    I would have to agree. Started at the start and nearly 5 hours later I'm here. Well done Finn. Love your work.
  18. Tonythepilot

Tonythepilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. I was going through update withdrawal
  19. Merlin32

Merlin32 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what kind of numbers is this thing pulling?!? All that and no curve post?
  20. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree, we dropped the ball not getting a final pull that day on the dyno. After 9 hours we where just to fatigued to think of it. But as I mentioned, we have been constantly tuning since then and I do plan to go back and do a basic pull so we can compare side to side with stock. If all goes well, this coming winter.

However, if you did not see this post:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/an-800s-rebirth-the-build-of-mechanico.1030354/page-13#post-27432514

I did run an experiment with longer intake tubes on the dyno and compared to stock. The gains where impressive and this was with the stock ECU doing its best to compensate. So with a proper tune for the new intake and not being quite as conservative as BMW, i suspect we'll see these gains go up from here. How much? To be determined at the dyno day....