An 800's Rebirth/The build of MechanicO

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by FinTec, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Merlin32

Merlin32 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahh i see now. So it looks about the same as stock . I was wondering if you got higher numbers with the new ecu to see if you rendered the new 850 motor a wash. We all know the nuda proved this cassis can handle pretty big numbers. I wonder if the physics on this motor are maxed out.
  2. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea, we are not changing displacement, or cams, or adding a turbo, etc. Just optimizing the intake and giving him a proper tune. So correct, we are most likely getting close to the max on the limits of the current stock motor.
  3. spencermarkd

spencermarkd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    .... not to be weird or anything, but last night I had a dream where I was hanging out with you, MechanicO, and Gregor Halenda with his nutty airhead. Tried to explain it to my partner when we woke up and she just stared at me with a blank look and said "uhh, cool?"

How'd he do at the qualifier?
  4. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good lord, that is a nutty dream! I have them all the time...

Still on road as writing this from Ely, NV. Just finished doing the NVBDR solo and heading home.
    Qualifier went excellent. Will post full report when I get back. 12 days of crazy riding for MechanicO and I!
    I did cave and started an Instagram account just for rides with MechanicO and I: Fintec33. Not all, but some good shots there. IMG_20190606_073632_485.jpg
    Paulie M, nvklr, mrsdnf and 3 others like this.
  5. Paulie M

Paulie M Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just went through this whole thread, this is an amazing project that Fin has undertaken! In simple layman's terms... F%#ing awesome!
  6. wilddog

wilddog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All caught up. Awesome skills and THANK YOU for sharing the journey. I could not do what you do, but love reading about it!
  7. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you wilddog.

Good news is it is now snowing in the high country and time to roll MechanicO into the shop and start the latest round of upgrades. But first I do need to wrap up the spring trip to California and the NVBDR.
    spencermarkd likes this.
  8. Cavaleru

Cavaleru Adventurer

Oddometer:
    such a high level build! very nice documention shared with us!
    reding your post about beeing single with no kids, i makes me sad, having such a nice shop and knowledge not to be shared and pased over to a little Fin..
  9. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer:
    First of all, I must confess to reading the entire thread (in awe) in pretty much a binge, it was this good!

A few pieces left me especially flabbergaster, the CNC'd MDF mould for the intakes.....the paraffin, the carbon itself, and then THIS!!!

Could you give some advise on the above grease (I have exactly the same one and remembered a long-unanswered question from your photo)?

I have read a few times an opinion that dielectric grease (even judging by the name) COULD worsen the contact of, say, a male and female spade in a connector using very low current, possibly a low voltage signal circuit, something of the ECU/sensor/control wiring nature etc...

And then in big heavy connectors (such as the standart 6.3 mm spades for example), carrying decent current with full 12V: lights, starter, generator and other bigger stuff is OK since the connectors slide together with such friction as to displace grease and form good metal-on-metal connection.

SO.... the logic goes that the small delicate connectors are not heavy-duty enough to scrape toghether so hard as to remove 100% of the grease and the even small attenuation of the voltage due to traces of this dielectric can "corrupt" the sensitive signal voltages.

What do you think of this?

I figured you'd definitely detect something was off, since.....you know...you just made and tuned a FULL new electical system for your bike!!!!

PS. An addendum for really good and sealed connectors like yours vs. cheap standart non-sealed ones wrt. cost-benefit of using dielectric grease on them - could you comment on if the protection is worth it or is instead detrimental due to build up of dust and dirt on the grease.

That's what I found on mine and resorted to put it on pretty much only the rubber seals of good connectors and none on "exposed" contacts.

Thanks and looking forward to what this year's winter brings!
  10. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    Bli55 we use dielectric grease in aviation, we deal with ARNIC buses, AC/DC , NOR logic and low voltage/amps.. Especially in environments exposed to the elements. I haved used dielectric grease on DC-3 to new business jets as preventive maintenance or part aircraft maintenance procedures with no side effects.