An 800's Rebirth/The build of MechanicO

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by FinTec, Dec 12, 2014.

1. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    kito:
    Nuts (literally), don't have that size in my notes. And went to MechanicO to measure for you you can even see the threads. It is around 22mm in diameter. The issue you will have is a "normal" nut that size is huge and thick. Probably won't even fit in there. However, you have an option: just make a spacer that goes under the current nut. Make it to the height you want, back the nut down onto it, and now the nut will not strip the threads. Or have a machinist hake you a custom nut. I did this, as well as the two nuts, but in retrospect probably overkill. You do have to do something as it WILL strip with just the nut. I pretty much had TT tell me this when I ordered those parts.
    kito likes this.
  2. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer:
    I see, I didn't realise! That changes everything! So I'm guessing you designed the housing such that the distance from the shoulder the thermostat seats onto and the bypass port based on the distance the thermostat moves and the second poppet offset from the main one? Did you get these distances from some datasheet or did you simply heat it up and measure when hot?

Yep, I watched the progress pics in awe as the machining process went along!

Would you mind showing a cross-section in this plane?

Безымянный.jpg

Безымянный.jpg

Hmmmm, I think on the G650X the collant inlet is into the top of the radiator tank... Don't know about F800GS though.
    Sure thing!
    Wow, I couldn't find that particular housing until now, is that a KTM one?

I did find an option for a Land Rover Freelander, and a Honda XR, the former I believe uses larger diameter hoses, whilst the latter has dual outlets for 2 radiators which I don't need.

Ideally I would like to find a housing (or, as you say, get one machined) which stock hoses fit onto (22 mm).

There are some guys in Ukraine that make a simple compact stainless steel screw-together housing for very cheap, but it features only a single poppet thermostat, and radiator/bypass ratio I believed is determined by hose ratio only...

EDIT: https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/r300-...tata-lanos-aveo-daewoo-chevrolet-IDqXmrs.html

Of course, bypass can be made a lot smaller than the main outlets, but I'm somewhat apprehensive of the extra resistance to the water pump until the thermostat opens.

And if the bypass is the same or only a little smaller, then I'm afraid little flow will be going through the radiator...
  3. ThorCT

ThorCT Lets Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey FinTec, it is Jeff on the Super Enduro. We met on Friday in Lake City. Thanks for the tour of your very unique bike. Can’t wait to dig into this build thread.

I hope you enjoyed your course in Ouray.

Jeff
  4. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bli55,
    Can do the cross section but give me a bit as need some time to do this. Not sure if it will help, but worth a try.

Jeff,
    Great to meet you the other day at Lake City. Here is a shot of Jeff on his bad-ass 950 SM
    [​IMG]