An 800's Rebirth/The build of MechanicO

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by FinTec, Dec 12, 2014.

1. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    kito:
    Nuts (literally), don't have that size in my notes. And went to MechanicO to measure for you you can even see the threads. It is around 22mm in diameter. The issue you will have is a "normal" nut that size is huge and thick. Probably won't even fit in there. However, you have an option: just make a spacer that goes under the current nut. Make it to the height you want, back the nut down onto it, and now the nut will not strip the threads. Or have a machinist hake you a custom nut. I did this, as well as the two nuts, but in retrospect probably overkill. You do have to do something as it WILL strip with just the nut. I pretty much had TT tell me this when I ordered those parts.
    lexaria and kito like this.
  2. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer:
    I see, I didn't realise! That changes everything! So I'm guessing you designed the housing such that the distance from the shoulder the thermostat seats onto and the bypass port based on the distance the thermostat moves and the second poppet offset from the main one? Did you get these distances from some datasheet or did you simply heat it up and measure when hot?

Yep, I watched the progress pics in awe as the machining process went along!

Would you mind showing a cross-section in this plane?

Безымянный.jpg

Безымянный.jpg

Hmmmm, I think on the G650X the collant inlet is into the top of the radiator tank... Don't know about F800GS though.
    Sure thing!
    Wow, I couldn't find that particular housing until now, is that a KTM one?

I did find an option for a Land Rover Freelander, and a Honda XR, the former I believe uses larger diameter hoses, whilst the latter has dual outlets for 2 radiators which I don't need.

Ideally I would like to find a housing (or, as you say, get one machined) which stock hoses fit onto (22 mm).

There are some guys in Ukraine that make a simple compact stainless steel screw-together housing for very cheap, but it features only a single poppet thermostat, and radiator/bypass ratio I believed is determined by hose ratio only...

EDIT: https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/r300-...tata-lanos-aveo-daewoo-chevrolet-IDqXmrs.html

Of course, bypass can be made a lot smaller than the main outlets, but I'm somewhat apprehensive of the extra resistance to the water pump until the thermostat opens.

And if the bypass is the same or only a little smaller, then I'm afraid little flow will be going through the radiator...
  3. ThorCT

ThorCT Lets Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey FinTec, it is Jeff on the Super Enduro. We met on Friday in Lake City. Thanks for the tour of your very unique bike. Can’t wait to dig into this build thread.

I hope you enjoyed your course in Ouray.

Jeff
    lexaria likes this.
  4. FinTec

Oddometer:
    Bli55,
    Can do the cross section but give me a bit as need some time to do this. Not sure if it will help, but worth a try.

Jeff,
    Great to meet you the other day at Lake City. Here is a shot of Jeff on his bad-ass 950 SM
    [​IMG]
    lexaria, Noyah, waylongway and 2 others like this.
  5. FinTec

Oddometer:
    Winter time means update time! I have some good additions to MechanicO to share. I am even going to try a short video on one of the builds.

However, dropping line here to see if the team here can help. I have a "cunning plan" for a custom seat for MechanicO but I need to heavily modify the stock seat pan to try this. So asking if anyone has a used stock seat they can sell me cheap? Can be ripped, torn, crapped on, etc, I just need the pan. PM me if you have something, we'll work it out.

[​IMG]
  6. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you strike out otherwise.
  7. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can’t help you with a used/torn old seat. But if there is someone out there who does have one, I can help them with a near-new standard height seat for an F650/700/800.

So, anybody looking to “refresh” their tired seat? Now would be a great opportunity for a 3-way sale that would get Fintec what he needs and get you a nice seat upgrade.

Photos in the flea market (my only post there.)
  8. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bump for FinTec, who is still looking for a stock seat pan.
  9. FinTec

Oddometer:
    A quick announcement, I have pulled the trigger on taking the last Stahlratte boat trip to Cuba! I started a ride report here:

Fin and MechanicO: Last Boat to Cuba

Not here to double post so I'll let the ride report speak for itself.

Cheers, Fin

MechanicO prepping for the trip...

Snapshot2.png
    sgio, Mark Thom, lexaria and 2 others like this.
  10. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:

Just to add to this discussion, the left caliper on the 690 990 950, F800GS, F650GS, G650GS, Sertao, and Dakar is all the same Brembo part the only difference is the caliper hanger that attaches it to the Forks.
    The hanger can be removed and replaced by that of the native bike that the forks are from. The Brembo part is guaranteed to stop a mass of 380 KG with a disk diameter of 300mm, hence why the Bikes such as the KTM 900's and the F800's are fitted with a twin. Brake force ratio you addressed by going with a smaller master cylinder piston otherwise the brakes would have to feel a bit wooden.

There are multiple factors that affect brakes effectiveness one is brake force ratio, the next is the distance from the center of the wheel where that force is applied ( Increased from 300 to 320mm), and the third item is the surface area so don't know if the Moto-Master caliper uses brake pads with a larger surface area if they are they will be more effective.

Reducing the unsprung weight has improved the suspension rebound less weight to move about, only really beneficial when you get a little air time.
    lexaria likes this.
  11. Shane007

Shane007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank god you finally replaced that factory headlight. LOL. I have an LP9 sitting around to put on my project bike as well. How do you like it?
  12. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Reminded me slightly of the destroyer
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  13. FinTec

Oddometer:
    Holy smokes, that factory headlight is so sad. The ambient light from my bedside clock illuminates more.

The LP9 is a tad over the top.....so I love it. Just make sure to wire correct as it pulls some serious amps. Not in front of me but like 11 amps on high beam.

The side LEDs are so nice and really blast that blind spot on the sides. Only issue is the difference of low vs high is not as much as I thought. So I have to point it down a bit more then I would like so I don't blast everyone. Have an idea to fix this later on.
    bigjohnsd and Shane007 like this.
  14. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    I noticed a reference to this build when you posted your intention to take the last trip of the "Rat" to Cuba. Asa the weather was shite today and yesterday I spent a few hours reading your entire Build Thread. Congratulations on an excellent accomplishment. Enjoy the trip to Cuba.
    borderlinebob likes this.
  15. Matt P

Matt P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you get a seat?

I should add I have a stocker off my 13 GS800F. Should be in perfect shape
  16. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow Fin - I stumbled into this thread from JamieZ's Cuba trip and then yours too. I haven't got much done the past 2 days because of this thread. Your name was ringing a bell and it took me a minute to realize I've got a half-dozen various bindings and a set of heels from you. The best products to ever hit that market. Count me as a 52 year old fanboy.

I'm blown away by your work on MO. Your thoughtfulness in execution and this documentation are excellent and appreciated. I also appreciate the glimpse into the thought process of a true genius and I'm looking forward to next winter's projects. Many thanks!
  17. cjw25

cjw25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really? You still have that cheesy coolant reservoir? Now that you are heading to the Caribbean, I recommend this:

IMG_1850.jpg