An ADD friendly report: 14K miles across the US in 10 minutes + watch me almost die on White Rim

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Livestrom, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Livestrom

Livestrom Life is short and the world is wide

Oddometer:
    So I finally got some time to put together video highlights of my trip from PEI (Atlantic Canada Coast) to West Coast USA (and many points in between).

All told, I rode about 23,000 KM (~14,300 miles) in 40 days. Yes, I took the scenic route!

I camped (tent and/or hammock) probably 35 of the 40 days.

Some of the spots I hit include (but not limited to):

Provinces: New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario
    States: Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine

National Parks: Rocky Mountain, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Escalante, Arches, Big Bend, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Mesa Verde

Points of interest: Pike's Peak, Red Rocks, Peak-to-Peak Highway, Cache la Poudre River Canyon, Million Dollar Highway, Tail of the Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway, Moki Dugway, The Devil's Backbone, Valley of the Gods, Mexican Hat, Monument Valley, Black Hills of South Dakota, Sturgis, Spearfish Canyon, Devil's Tower, Independence Pass, Moab, Cinnamon Pass, Ophir Pass, Tin Cup Pass, Kebler Pass, Mount Evans, Skyline Drive, Burr Trail, Pacific Coast Highway, White Rim Road, San Juan Mountains, Golden Gate Bridge, Mulholland Drive, Topanga Canyon, Sunset Blvd, Griffiths Park Observatory, LA Comedy Store, Angeles Crest Highway, Four Corners, Cherohala Skyway, Jack Daniel Distillery, Three Sisters of Texas Hill Country, Telluride Blues and Brews Festival, Coronado Trail, Napa Valley, Big Bear, Big Sur.

The video also includes quite a bit of off road action, most of the fun stuff coming from the 100 mile White Rim Road in Utah (5 dismounts there alone, I think).

Had a great time along the way at ADV Westfest in Ouray, met a lot of great people and made a lot of memories (lost some too!)

My ride was a 2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650. It performed flawlessly, 2 oil changes and one rear tire were all it needed. And as you will see from the video, I didn't baby it!

Anyway, hope you enjoy watching as much as I did making it.

2. Livestrom

Oddometer:
    Would be remiss if I didn’t take time to thank the WestFest 2018 organizers for putting on such a great event:

@jwrover
    @DADODIRT
    @MountainsandRivers
    @D-Train

Thanks for all your work to make the event a success.

@dmac1 who I met by chance in Estes Park and who encouraged me to give White Rim Road a try (thanks A LOT Dave, lol)

@c-zulu who gave me a place to stay on the beautiful north shore of Lake Superior. Took time to help me map my route. AMAZING bike collection sir!

@Pete Pleban for being a good riding buddy.

Hope to see you all again at some point.
    Merfman and NoelJ like this.
  3. PsammonOfDoubt

PsammonOfDoubt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nice job, excellent choice of music!
    fire88dog and Livestrom like this.
  4. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Epic! Well done and thank you for sharing. Really enjoyed it.
    Livestrom likes this.
  5. sgio

sgio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great video! Even better trip:clap
    Livestrom likes this.
  6. Livestrom

Oddometer:
    Thanks, for those who don't know, the song is "Echoes" by Pink Floyd.

All credit for the music goes to:

1. David Gilmour of Pink Floyd
    2. Jason Vandervoort, the talented YouTuber who performed this version and gave me permission to use it.
  7. Livestrom

Oddometer:
    Thanks for watching. I've made a few videos like this before, but I had some really good material to draw from for this one!
    Drybones and Amphib like this.
  8. NCMtn

NCMtn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome Video!! Many places I still need to see.
    Livestrom likes this.
  9. Brett737cap

Brett737cap Life is short... leave with no regrets.

Oddometer:
    Great Video! Kudos to you for taking on the White Rim. I don't think I would attempt it on my GS. Its not heights I'm afraid of, its falling off! Btw, I did NS/PEI/NB two summers ago and Quebec/Lab/Nfld this last summer. You all have great riding up there as well.
    Livestrom likes this.
  10. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a fantastic ride, great video and great music too - Thanks for making and posting it
    Livestrom likes this.
  11. Rdy2Trvl

Rdy2Trvl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Livestrom! I've traveled to most of these locations over the years, but you inspire others by sharing your photos and video. Well done!
  12. Livestrom

Oddometer:
    You and me both, my friend! Glad you liked it.
    shuswap1 likes this.
  13. Livestrom

Oddometer:
    Glad you liked it. I make these mostly to have a record of my trips and as a stand in for my absolutely sh*tty memory. It's nice to see that other people get something out of them as well.
    steved57 likes this.
  14. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Loved it! Like they said Epic, loved the music and keep rocking the Vstrom!
    Livestrom likes this.
  15. Livestrom

Oddometer:
    To be honest, I'm not sure I would attempt WRR on a big bike again either, especially if the conditions weren't perfect. Mind you, there are a few things that I could have had that would have helped:

1. new tires that didn't already have 4-5000 miles on them
    2. a smaller countershaft sprocket for better slow speed and uphill manoevering
    3. traction control would have probably spared me from a fairly violent highside dismount that occurred when the rear end slid out and then hooked back up, launching me over the bars at 20-30 MPH.
    Brett737cap likes this.
  16. Livestrom

Oddometer:
    Glad to give a little inspiration back after taking so much from this site over the years.
    Thanks for watching.
    sanders446 likes this.
  17. SnowGS

SnowGS It wasn’t me, officer.

Oddometer:
    That’s an average of over 500kms a day. Did you have any “off” days? Any 1000+ days?
    Much respect, that’s a true epic trip.
    Livestrom likes this.
  18. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    Wow, amazing video and when I rough the numbers you did almost 600 kms a day for 40 days. That’s a “ride” eh!:lift

There are some amazing places to ride and seems you hit a lot of them (most?) in one ass kickin trip.

Great work putting that video together. You know it’s a good one when 10 minutes of nonstop visual delights seems to only take a minute to watch.

Thanks
    BB
    Livestrom likes this.
  19. Livestrom

Oddometer:
    No choice but to keep rocking the Strom, I don't think the thing will ever die. I'm sure the time will come where I WANT a new bike, but I think it'll be a while before I NEED a new bike.
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  20. Livestrom

Oddometer:
    SnowGS,

The km per day numbers are a little deceiving.

Having never been to the West, and fueled by the excitement of getting there, I made it my mission to ride from sunup to sundown for the first 5 days of the trip. I delayed my return long enough to have to the same (and worse) on my way home.

Once I was out west, I averaged closer to 350-400 km per day. No doubt though, those 8-10 "travelling" days were pretty long. Luckily, I had invested enough time fine-tuning my bike setup and it was never torturous.