An afternoon in New Mexico

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by tankara fishing, Aug 1, 2019.

1. tankara fishing

tankara fishing tierra encantada Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's getting up past 100F (38C) most days lately in Albuquerque and, not only that, I have a long list of "to- do" errands, so what better time to take a little moto ride up into the Jemez mountains instead!

As the road ascends, I stop for water and gas at Jemez Pueblo (Walatowa is their native name) and - as always - am astonished by the red cliffs. I wanted to get off and walk around, but put my kickstand down in deep red mud, so just took a picture from the saddle while I guzzled a bottle of water.
    red cliffs.jpg

This is an ancient Native American tribe and in the hills around their current settlement are scattered ruins from their ancestors. I love to hike into the Jemez wilderness to explore these ruins and imagine what it was like for them to live there.

Up higher, the temperatures start to cool and pine forests are bordering the roadside. It is required that one stop in the small town of Jemez Springs at Los Ojos Bar for a green chile cheeseburger, so that happened. I was not disappointed. Not many people there, except a family at a nearby patio table who couldn't pronounce "rellenos" and "tortillas." That's okay bienvenidos.

At the very top of the Jemez mountains is a collapsed volcano caldera; now a vast expanse of meadow. It's cool and quiet up there.
    moto valle grande2.jpg

Yep, that's my 2006 Honda 599. I had one years ago and sold it to get a dirt bike. I loved my dirt bike that allowed me to see some really remote areas in my state, but after it got stolen off my driveway, I managed to find another 599 to buy.

A couple of BMWs passed me on the road, but they don't have ADHD like I do, so didn't see the big herd of elk alongside the road. Even leaning into the twisties, I spot everything out of the corner of my eye.
    elk.jpg

The elk spotted me right away though from a distance and high tailed it into the forest before long.

I lingered there for a bit and then turned back. Stopped in the shade for lunch. Oh hey, there's my bike Zippy again. moto forest.jpg

Wish I had more time, but I wound back down the mountain and stopped briefly at Jemez River to dip my toes in and take off my tee shirt to soak. With a wet shirt under my mesh jacket, I am a human swamp cooler.
    river.jpg

Not much else to report today. Just to say I am lucky to live in New Mexico.

Attached Files:

2. LApilot

LApilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are both lucky to live in NM. Find you a used 500 and I can show you some great Jemez trails.
    deserttowers and MTBRALPH like this.
  3. tankara fishing

Oddometer:
    Before my Kawi KLX 250 got stolen, I traipsed through trails all over the Jemez! If you find me an extra dirt bike, I'd love to go.
    LApilot likes this.
  4. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    My favorite Jemez ride is FR144 along the north side of the Valles Caldera. Especially after you pass the sign that says "Road not maintained beyond is point"
    rvsparky and MTBRALPH like this.
  5. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful photos.
  6. seaduck100

seaduck100 You just got smoked by an old guy on a cb500x

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff. I am not certain if it is an artifact of your photo software, but it looks like your tires are shining. Please don't tell me that you armor alled them.
  7. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really beautiful pics!!!
    I have to get out there more often and explore
    Thanks for sharing!
  8. tankara fishing

Oddometer:
    Yes, very nice! I miss my dirt bike.
  9. tankara fishing

Oddometer:
    No, I don't treat my tires! I sharpened the photo and I guess it made everything shine.
  10. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  11. tankara fishing

Oddometer:
  12. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer:

I honestly don't remember what I had, but we stayed 2 nights across the st

so ate there a couple of times & did some late night drinking with some locals
  13. NCwolf

NCwolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great trip and gorgeous pictures!

I have in my stable a 2006 599 as well...bought it new. Shamefully, hasnt been ridden in two years and currently have the carbs out to clean (clogged up).

Awesome bike though...seeing yours makes me want to get mine back on the road.
  14. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Who's stealing all the bikes in NM?
  15. ki_ote

ki_ote Cindi Jo Admirer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this. A buddy and I have a week long ride around NM planned for next year. Injuries cancelled this year.
    I like these little tidbits of info from folks living there. We have an entire day set aside for the Jemez area.
    It looks awesome!