An Observation...

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by NCD, Feb 18, 2020.

1. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    So much talk nowadays about twin cylinder, sub-500lb bikes, with long travel suspension, some even have low-slung plastic gas tanks. Seems like many of us purchased a bike like this long ago....

Random old photo from the IDBDR

20200218_131658.jpg
  2. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i think people keep chasing for "better" and forget what was wanted to begin with.
    Otis357, todd900ss and NCD like this.
  3. Kfish1977

Kfish1977 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    40B5B438-8B76-4759-960F-2AA8322D2191.jpeg I. Love mine
    NCD likes this.
  4. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    The '09, from the first shipload into the USA. Alas, it's just a bit of nostalgia now. <sniff!>

IMG_3364.jpeg
    NCD and Tigershark48 like this.
  5. Kfish1977

Kfish1977 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The F800gs may not be the best motorcycle but it is better than most..I don’t think it’s time to retire them just yet
    NCD likes this.
  6. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Y'all might be surprised to see how many low mileage F800GS are still out there. Seems like the Starbucks crowd are selling theirs off to get the newest Fx50GS. I bought a 09 with 10K miles, garage kept, looked like new, last March for 5k. I love this bike, never selling it.
    AdamChandler and NCD like this.
  7. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    I haven’t found anything better yet. Always looking just to look. Pretty hard to compete with something this close to perfect for me.
    todd900ss and NCD like this.
  8. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What exactly is the “Starbucks” crowd?
  9. BigBrian

BigBrian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed 100%

I bought my 2013 in September with 2900mi on it!!!

That's basically new.
    NCD likes this.
  10. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    Light make right!

And I agree with the OP. There are a lot of things BMW got right on this bike and mine's not ready for retirement anytime soon.
    NCD likes this.
  11. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Not the poster of that comment, but I would describe them as follows. Typical Ducati Model. Greased back hair, two day beard, earring, tattoo, cuffed leggings, wrist bracelet and hot babe on the back attired similarly. Parked alongside the outdoor seating area as a regular component of the see-be-seen crowd. Not a real bike enthusiast, but strictly a poser. Instead of being a serious motorcycle enthusiast, they just have the latest in show off toys.

Not to worry. You can still go to Starbucks for coffee without conforming ;-)
  12. mazocar

mazocar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Blah I’m cheap and I drink Dunkin but besides that I think I would only agree with the see-be-seen comment you posted. Everything else I kind of don’t get. How would you even be able to judge who is and isn’t a serious motorcycle enthusiast.

Ehhh this is why I’m a loner lol fuck people in general.
    morfic and tarheel rider like this.
  13. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I don't want to offend anyone but I saw this on a BMW dealer web site years ago...
    If you are not riding 3,000 miles plus a year you might as well buy a Harley... I feel that about sums up what is meant by "The Starbucks Crew"
  14. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that not all that long ago it was BMW Motorrad requiring USA dealers to install expensive cafe-type coffee equipment in dealership showrooms. Many simply did not, and the issue seemed to go away. But the image of a row of pristine R-GSes parked outside Starbucks as posers in BMW garb sit around sipping their lattes has since stuck like glue (while the Harleys roar on by en route to their watering holes).
  15. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:

I would actually disagree with Tigershark's description. Generally speaking, "Starbucks crowd" riders I've found are typically previous Harley owners who were all about that HD lifestyle then through the rise of Jeep Culture, 4 Runner / Tacoma Overlander culture, these riders who may have ridden dirt as a kid on their parent's property but have been cruiser centric their whole life and generally have the cash to spend on a fancy adventure bike off the showroom floor.

The Backcountry Discovery Route's market research says the average BDR rider makes 130K a year if that gives you any indication of what these individuals are making.

BUT, when you make that kind of money, you generally have a few outside forces that keep you from living the ADV-LIFE
    1. You live in a city or suburb
    2. Nuclear family which means ballet and soccer practice commitments
    3. Long office hours as you frantically scramble to save for retirement and send your kids to private schools
    4. possible health, stress anxiety issues from years of over working yourself and alimony payments to your ex

So while you can afford to order $2000 Clearwater lights and $7 grand worth of Touratech Farkles, actually getting out of the city and on to the trails is a once a year thing for you or never at all so, you take your overland-ready ADV bike and you drop by Starbucks on a Saturday while the kids are at soccer matches and you roll through the mall in a $2500 Klim suit and Schuberth helmet looking like you're about to ride 2500 miles across country when really you're just running to the grocery store for some maple syrup.

There are a TON of Adventure bikes (usually BMWs and KTMs tend to get ridden a bit more) out there that are sub 10K miles with an extended warranty and plenty of Farkles ready to be scooped up relatively cheap. My first R1200GS Adventure has 6K miles on it and was a 7 year old bike and I got it for 8 grand and it was already modified with every bell and whistle and annual BMW Dealer service done. Guy was a banker in Baltimore and bought the bike, went on one long trip then put it in the garage....and he was a regular Starbucks patron.

:)

The most important thing is to not judge this kind of rider. It's not fair to judge someone for having aspirations w/o means or a risk tolerance that keeps them from living that lifestyle BUT it doesn't mean we can't enjoy cheap gently used F800s in the mean time :)

Two great ADV-LIFE videos that poke fun at it because you have to, don't judge people for not being able to go out and ride like some of us do. at the end of the day, we're all riders.
  16. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Just light hearted sarcasm here. I’ve never even been to a Starbucks, so I have no clue. Too busy riding country roads in my faded old Levis. Except for right now with below zero (F) temperatures.
  17. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Totally and I'm not talking down to anyone who spends 75K on that fancy 4X4 jeep and never goes off-road, I'm just saying that there's also nothing wrong it it.

I fall into part of that Starbucks crowd BUT I live in northern New Hampshire so getting off-road just means taking 2 out of 3 roads home which are unpaved and then getting really lost on ATV trails that traverse my state. Most of the ADV Rallies happen in my back yard up here and it's usually guys from the big cities on fancy GS bikes who have never been on a dirt road before. I never ever judge someone for having a cool BMW and Klim gear though. because If I had to take a job in Boston and suddenly had 2-3 more mouths to feed, you bet your ass I'd be at Starbucks that first Saturday wishing I was out in the woods instead of stuck in traffic.
    RSDA and mazocar like this.
  18. Kfish1977

Kfish1977 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I say we all are different, thats what makes the world so interesting.. For us that own a F800gs we know what we have. BMW got it right on this bike.People will always want something more no matter what, that’s human nature. But if you do have a F800gs part of you may want more in a bike, but if stop and think for a minute you already have the most capable adventure bike on the market. But hey I welcome all riders and any motorcycle type to ride with me. The most important part is just ride what you have.
    AdamChandler and mazocar like this.
  19. Kfish1977

Kfish1977 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    4B29CC17-6284-4AE5-8916-4C9D5161E7AD.jpeg Hey I forgot to mention in my last post, I don’t even drink coffee.. but i do ride a F800gs.
    NCD, AdamChandler and Tigershark48 like this.
  20. ABDriver

ABDriver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone got a problem?

Adjustments.jpg
    RSDA, shuswap1, Rella and 3 others like this.