An old article about the Honda NX250 - Cycle May 1988

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by smithadon, Aug 1, 2020.

?

Is your NX250 good for off road?

This poll will close on Nov 8, 2020 at 11:54 PM.
  1. Yes! (Considering it's a dual purpose, not a dirt bike)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No... Sadly, it ain't tough enough.

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. smithadon

smithadon To my shame, I was born in bed with a woman.

Oddometer:
    Well chaps, here we have an article damning the off road capabilities of the mighty NX250.

Bah humbug! I've had a great laugh on mine and I don't have to tow it to the start of a track. (I may have to concede that the suspension leaves me wanting at 98kg, and I have chickened out over the plastic bash guard and made myself a stainless one connected to crash bars to save the 'flashy plastic bodywork'!).

Have a read, take the poll.

Attached Files:

iatethepeach likes this.
  2. goatroper

goatroper Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with the reviewers- not a dirt bike at all. However, I'd like to have one again.

[​IMG]
  3. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know a couple who did a full around the world trip on a pair of NX400 and they were very good bikes for the trip.
    Johann likes this.
  4. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode a friend's NX250 back in the day. The power was soft and the bodywork was fragile. Neither fender survived the first six months...

On the other hand, it was economical to own, was great on dirt roads, and really looked fantastic. My buddy should have bought a different bike for the riding he wished to do.
  5. Johann

Johann Commuterous Tankslapperous

Oddometer:
    I picked one up last year, really surprised how much I like it, wasn´t planning to keep it for long originally. Don´t use it offroad but deals with crap road surfaces, unmade roads and cobbled streets brilliantly. Stone age simple to maintain, cheap to run and fun to ride. I find it is a bit out of its depth on faster roads, will cruise at 70mph but feels a bit too strung out to my ears out to be relaxing, 60-65mph is more like it. A sprocket change might help that but I´m happy with it as it is. Handling on tight twisties is surprisingly good as well.
    aptbldr and Mark Manley like this.
  6. McCaw

McCaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tough call, I've got an sv650 rear shock and crf230 front springs on mine but the suspension is still lacking. That said, have put quite a few offroad miles on it and won't hesitate to add more but I think I do enjoy riding it around town on the streets more. Great all around bike, think I paid $750 for mine and no plans to get rid of it. Have collector plates on it as well so no registration fees :)
  7. neil w

neil w Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honda missed a trick by not putting the watercooled NX motor in a XR250 chassis to get a march on the likes of Kawasaki's KLX250