An RKA introduction

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Choctaw, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Choctaw

Choctaw RKA

Oddometer:
    We are Richard & Kathy, owners of RKA. Kathy (F800R) and I (R1200RT)
    And we are enthusiasts. My FAV photo of my honey!
    [​IMG]
    Richard & Kathy (The R&K) are both from the thoroughbred race horse industry.
    Kathy had her own business in Arcadia California for 13 years, making jockey silks and accessories for the racing industry, and Richard was an owner trainer.

The RKA Monthly newsletter is a good way to introduce ourselves.
    Newsletter Main Page
    Current Newsletter which, as usual has a lot of fun stuff, interesting stuff and offers you cannot refuse.

So what do we do? RKA manufactures a complete line of motorcycle luggage,
    Custom colors is what we like to do, personalize your luggage to coordinate with your ride.

Richard & Kathy design and manufacture every piece of luggage that leaves the building.
    DESIGNED, MANUFACTURED in Sonoma County, CA.
    YES… We actually make these products!!

The idea for RKA was started in 1983 with Richard’s first bag design made out of “cardboard, duct-tape and a grocery bag”. From that design somehow Kathy saw my dream put together the first prototype piece of luggage.The business was actually started in March of 1985.

Our January 2015 30-year anniversary Newsletter tells the whole story in pictures.

About 20 years ago we designed a IN-Charge communications Tankbag for all the touring and long distance riders. We are now into Generation IV of this design.

So this Tankbag opened up a whole new world to us and we now offer many other products related to long distance and touring riders.

Rammount, Powerlet, TPX Radar, CB/FRS radios, SENA Bluetooth products, and proudly and must recently we are now a Schuberth helmet and HELD glove dealer!

Check out our “RKA Products Page” and go from there.
    Look for the green and blue cameras that link to over 100 videos on all subjects that matter.
    Visit the “RKA Photo Gallery” a lot of riders miss this area which covers applications on a large number of applications.

Lastly see us out on the road! Visit our RKA Schedules page.

Kathy and I are looking forward to interacting with this great forum.

Richard & Kathy
    RKA
  2. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I've had a set of your bags for my GSA for quite some time now. They've been all over the country and a couple provinces on the bike... I also sometimes use one as just regular luggage when traveling.
    They still look new, even if a bit dirty and have been absolutely great.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy again... but if you keep making them so well, I may not need to :D
  3. Choctaw

Choctaw RKA

Oddometer:
    :-) Thank you, Thank you, Thank you very much!:clap
  4. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use to live in Bay Area. I'd stop by your shop often. You outfitted my new 95 GPZ1100 with matched color rear bags and tank bag. It was the first GPZ you did. You did my BMW K75 with the same and also my 04 FJR. While I don't have those bikes they all had a good 60-70K miles of usage on each before selling. Bags held up great. I kept one of the tank bags. Used it on at least 1/2 doz other bikes. I just got rid of it last summer. Doing a quick calculation that tank bag must have had 400,000+ miles on it. Only thing wrong was it was VERY faded...black was nearly a light gray color. I'd have purchased it again for sure!
  5. RoadRdr

RoadRdr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sometime in 2003 I bought a set of bag liners for my ST1100. They travelled with us for lots of years and miles. The same bags then travelled with us in my Givi panniers on my VStrom 1000. Now they are seeing duty on my GSA.

When I bought my GSA I shopped around for a tankbag. It was easy to buy the RKA tankbag knowing I would get a well designed and durable piece of equipment. The hidden left side pocket that lets me run power along the tankbag up to the handlebars to charge my iPhone and GoPro is more useful than I imagined.

Quality, appearance and function.
  6. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are in the area stop by and say hi. They are great people who take the time to chat and answer questions. I will be spending a nice sum supporting a local (to me) family business rather than saving a few buck on the best online deal found. Their products speak for themselves but what you aren't seeing is the incredible people behind the name.

Sam
  7. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I had color-matched RKA saddlebags on my '99 VFR800. Fantastic. Wish I had a pic.

Do you have any bags that would work with my Africa Twin, clearing the high muffler?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm thinking your 50 liter ones might after seeing this vid, what do you reckon?

8. Choctaw

Choctaw RKA

Oddometer:
    Hi Twin rider,

First thanks for all the nice replies from all of you!!!

You posted THE video I was going to tell you to look at ...... Looks like a no brainier to me :rofl
    You can adjust the bag UP or DOWN in the FRONT or REAR and ALSO if you pay attention you see the way we have designed the attachment system the DO NOT move in ANY direction :clap

Richard
  9. Choctaw

Choctaw RKA

Oddometer:
    Ohhhhh we do nice tankbags for all you guys ;-)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Sounds good Richard, will ping you about shipping costs as the website checkout seems a bit high to Japan for what should be a pretty compact, light package.
  11. Choctaw

Choctaw RKA

Oddometer:
    RKA also as a couple of cool things going
    We have a group buy in progress for the Garmin Zumo 660LM at $350.00 need 15 need a few more before I can pull the trigger

[​IMG]

In addition we have the SENA TUBE in Stock

I 'm just saying ...... The SENA TUBE is the BEST, Easiest to use Camera out there to date!
    $119.00 does not get much better than this
    Slide ON
    Slide OFF
    1080 dpi nothing else just 1080
    Use on your bicycle
    Use on your moto
    Make cat videos
    Use while charging
    Even a caveman can use it!
    Call now operators are waiting :-) 707 836 7659

[​IMG]

Visit www.rka-luggage.com for more info

Richard
  12. Choctaw

Choctaw RKA

Oddometer:
    The box is BIG the bags are substantial with large inserts for support and we cannot even nest them together. USPS INternational seem to get it wrong a lot. IF IF the shipping is less than what they say we WILL REFUND YOU. :-) Perdonally I would go with the 50 liter bags .... Our personal choice .... bigger is better .... YES they will clear the pipe also.

[​IMG]
  13. Choctaw

Choctaw RKA

Oddometer:
    Just for giggles and pipe clearance issues R1200GSA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Long time user of RKA saddlebags and tankbags. Quality gear, and customer service was top notch when I needed it.

Once even visited the shop when it was in Santa Rosa, I believe. Anyway, long time ago.
  15. Choctaw

Choctaw RKA

Oddometer:
    YUP that was a day or two ago, we have not been on Bluebell rd for 20 years ;-)
    Now in the beautiful little "Town" of Windsor were we also live.
    Anybody in the area come visit.
    Our Contact Page has "27 glossies with writing on the back" to find us. If you are "old" you understand that quote :rofl

R&K

[​IMG]
  16. VFR

VFR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember you guys!!! Didn't know you had moved. I still have a pair of the original 35 liter soft bags--before they were expandable. I always wanted one of our tank bags but what stopped me was that the expansion was another section the same size on top of the first one. Fantastic bags if you can use one. Quality for sure!!!
  17. Choctaw

Choctaw RKA

Oddometer:
    LARRY ..... Come by the shop .... SCAL is only a short ride away ;-)
    OR visit our website as things change ya know ;-)
    www.rka-luggage.com
  18. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    RKA bags user for years,as are my riding buddies.
    Currently have a Shilo Road tankbag for my 14 BMW GSA

Highly recommended :thumb:thumb

JR356
  19. Choctaw

Choctaw RKA

Oddometer:
    :rofl:roflTANKS!
  20. KamLeeR

KamLeeR Animal Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, Richard and Kathy go the extra mile!
    They are very kind and so easy to deal with. They know their stuff!
    Prouducts are super quality and functional.
    Highly recommended!