1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

An unexpected turn of events

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by docsabre, May 31, 2021.

1. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Recalculating...
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys want dangerous? I'll tell you dangerous... :lol3

We did some dual sport weekends in West Virginia. I will tell you Joe Manchin did a hell of a job paving all kinds of back roads in the state, but there's still a lot of other stuff. Well, we were out in search of the good stuff. We turned off on one road, had a stop sign, road number sign and no dead end sign. We ride back maybe a mile and it dead ends into a gated road. Being wiser, we turn around... and on the way out come on a guy with a damn shot gun in the handlebar rack on his ATV. :yikes He's giving us hell about going back on that road "You ain't got no business back in that holler!" :bowWe apologized mentioning that we look for stop signs and road signs and would never go off on other property. We departed, happy that the shot gun stayed in the rack! :uhoh You see, the cash crop in WV has changed and you don't screw with the cash crop! :nah

That isn't only true in WV, we were riding back roads about 20 miles from my friend's home in Ohio. We do the same thing, look for stop signs and road numbers. This time we missed the faded "DEAD END" sign. Rode back in and it starts turning to a two track trail around the edge of a fence line. We come up to four guys in a side by side... I noticed one in the back had a nice rifle... :eekers We stopped and I asked if there was good riding further on. The driver said it was private property and mentioned the sign. We explained we missed the sign and apologized, saying we'll turn back and go. Yep, don't mess with the cash crop! :nah

Sorry, no pictures...

To the OP, glad you survived, I have no idea how I'd do in the same situation. Dangers lurk in many forms.
    docsabre likes this.
  3. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Not to thread hijack, but the above is accurate. Rode through parts of WV on road motos a few times, and only 1 of the 3 of us was from the WVA/Appalachia area, and had family there. He cautioned us about being polite to people. He said IF something happens, the people in this region handled things differently, never dialed 911. He said it was possible to ride up into a holler, only to find the road ends, and if you had showed your ass, when you go back down, the road is then blocked, well away from the main road. He said these are good people back here, but don’t show your ass.
  4. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the dumb question, but what does that mean, “show your ass”?
  5. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think of it as showing your ugly side. Found this definition:

show (one's) butt. (chiefly Southern United States slang) To act in a rude, obnoxious, or aberrant manner; to misbehave or act foolishly; to make a scene.
    Barry and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  6. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:

Ahh, gotcha. Makes sense. Thanks.
    Barry and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  7. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Curious what was the one wrong turn? Glad you guys made it out with no injuries!
    250senuf likes this.
  8. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Turning out of the driveway?:nod
    docsabre and sharpie1 like this.
  9. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    On the bright side you turned "just another ride" into an "epic adventure". No one was hurt, and you have a memory of an adventure you'll never forget. Not saying you should run out and do it again though! :D
    docsabre and strommonster like this.
  10. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Decided to go from Tenango to Quernavaca to look up my old friend Jorge. The main road went through the Ciudad, but I didn't wanna. My pathetic map showed a road, so off I went. Typical Mexican potholes, except they were getting bigger and the asphalt less. And less. And less. I'm riding rough dirt in the jungle on a little street bike that's already long in the tooth. And did I mention short legged? Yes I was running out of and did run out of gas. Thankfully as I approached Quernavaca the road improved, and my bike konked out just up the hill from a Pemex station.

Turns out Jorge had moved to the Ciudad, so I went there to find him. And damn did I have a good time. Jorge is dead now, murdered from the sounds of it. I'm old, but I bet that road is still there, and it's probably worse now.
    docsabre likes this.
  11. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of an episode of cheers. Sam and the guys got stranded in the desert and had pretty much resigned themselves to the inevitable and started talking about their regrets.

They went to sleep and when they woke up, Norm was gone. A few minutes later he pops over the ridge in a golf cart and tells them they were just a few hundred yards from a resort. He told them if they hurried, they could still make the breakfast buffet.
  12. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My story is not nearly as exciting or dramatic as the OP's but....

I was riding a trail in N. GA with a buddy. We had ridden this trail before but it had probably been around 10 years since we last rode it. At one point it became a very steep, slippery and rutted downhill. When we last rode it, it hadn't been all rutted out. By the time I noticed how bad it was it was too late to turn around and I was on my 400 pound KLR with marginal tires. I didn't get very far before dropping my bike going maybe .1 MPH. Not a big deal except I would have had a really time picking the bike back up on the steep hillside if by myself. But I made it down. My buddy on his 300# KLX250 made it down no problem. Now I was hoping that the trail still went through. If not there was no way I would be able to get back up that hill. Well it did and that was the end of the story.

Well not exactly the end. I no longer have that KLR. Now I'm riding a 300# KLX250 which I can pick up by myself.:D
  15. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    A good rule for exploring. Never go up or down something you cannot get back down or up. Hard lesson learned.
    docsabre and Barry like this.
  16. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    One of the TAT 'red routes' we tried had obviously not had anyone travel down it for years. The track petered out on an open hillside. I went on ahead of my two buddies who were on bigger, heavier bikes, and eventually found where I presumed the trail went across/down a small canyon but it was so washed out it was impassable. On the way back, we could not re-locate the trail we came up, despite being within yards of the supposed location across the hillside. One of my buddies managed to find a big rock, hidden in the long grass, and high-centered his KLR. Fortunately he wasn't hurt and we eventually dragged that heavy-ass thing off the boulder but if he'd been by himself it could have been ugly. We were in the next town for a late lunch, however, so no overnight adventure resulted.
    2016_09_05 13_04_38_P1030052.jpg
    docsabre likes this.
  17. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It wasn't Windy Gap trail by lake Conasauga, was it? That happened to me there and I tore my rotator cuff when I hit a rock and went down into this big hole. Took 2 of us an hour to get it back on the trail. Of course, much steeper than it looks.
    IMG_3671.JPG IMG_3670.JPG
    docsabre and klaviator like this.
  18. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was over near Suches.
    bomose likes this.
  19. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few years ago in Moab I rode(solo) up to the La Sal Mountain in rain and sleet. I went over Geyser Pass and looped around to attempt a round trip back over La Sal pass. The rain had stopped and the sun was out. On the east side of the La Sal pass I met a train of jeeps that had just done the pass west to east and they all pulled into the trail head parking lot. I stopped to shoot the shit with them and gather info on the condition of the trail. None of them were adv dudes and they "thought" I could make it but that the trail was still dampt.

As they pulled out, I pointed my fat pig towards the trail and headed in. About 200 yards in I started sliding around on the mud. Doubt crept in but I pushed on until I got to a crest of a hill, you know the kind where you can see the trail climb back up in the distance, but you cannot see the bottom due to steepness. I hesitated, then got off and walked down the trail a bit and I started sliding around with the gumbo mud adding layers to the sole of my boots at each step. Then the very rare smart voice said...."Nope, if you go down this hill you ain't getting back up until the trail dries out". The common voice said, "Pussy!, turn around? are you fucking kidding me?" The argument ensued...."still can't see the bottom dumb ass"...."No you have to RIDE down there to see it panzy". The scar on my shin from sliding down a wet leaf covered trail and smacking a tree on my DRZ years ago started itching. That did it, and I clumped back up to the pig, turned it around and took the 'easy' trail back out to Moab the long way while wondering if I was borderline insane, or already there.

That being said, the outcome most likely would have been different if I was riding with someone. The security blanket of instant help can sometimes be a pitfall that happens easily. I doubt that docsabre or his buddy would have attempted that route alone.
  20. docsabre

docsabre crusty curmudgeon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love it! I’m printing this and keeping it in my tank bag.