1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

An Unholy Union V: DRZ forks on an Airhead

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Ras Thurlo, Jun 28, 2014.

1. The Patagonia Kid

The Patagonia Kid gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been reading again on the thread and with your set up is fine the way you run it ... although the dynamics with these big 32 36 mm pistons change add that is multiplied 2 !:fpalm
  2. The Patagonia Kid

The Patagonia Kid gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went back to the drawing board and reviewed what I did to figure out why the brakes were not performing the way I was expecting.
    A couple of hours and patience all it took ...
    Another inmate asked about bleeding it correctly and I was too quick thinking I did. There was a massive air bubble on the left side caliper preventing the proper pressure on the pads and that was the issue.
    Now both calipers are working as intended hence I can finally say I succeeded with this part of the project. Then 15 mm master + 2 calipers 32 36 work flawlessly. :-) :y0!
  3. quokka

quokka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am fitting Prutser's triples and DRZ forks to my 89 R100GS. The springs have been shortened 50mm, and spacers are in place. I made the axle myself, and had it ground at a bearing shop (so I know it's straight). If I set the stanchion tops so that they are equal, the axle doesn't want to go through the holes in the clamps. If I set the stanchions so that there is 3 mm difference in the amount protruding, then the axle slides in. What am I missing?
    The Patagonia Kid likes this.
  4. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you sure the damper rod is screwed all the way into the tube cap? No extra washers? Spacers both identical? Damper tube pulled all the way down into the bottom cone? I'll try and think of more reasons.
  5. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    Imagine once it's assembled; how much will this mis-alignment matter?
  6. quokka

quokka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Motopsychoman got it in one, damper rod not screwed all the way in. Ran out of time today to reassemble but I think that will fix it. aptbldr, I was more concerned the misalignment indicated a problem elsewhere, which I think it did.
  7. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably the easiest one to not get right.
    I still have to recheck one of mine as the rebound adjuster screw keeps turning instead of bottoming. I need to go buy a 17mm bicycle cone wrench so it is easier to reach between the coils.
  8. bleaknessengine

bleaknessengine Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    finally getting some time riding this little guy around. very happy with the drz forks and prutser’s triples, i haven’t even fallen down once yet haha. rear is extended 3” mono with hyperpro shock, i’ve never felt so pampered while riding. hooked up my new motogadget speedo today, with my ham-fisted soldering skills, but i don’t know about the tach function, are airhead electronic ignitions cdi??? super psyched on the forks, i can run over everything so far with little trouble.

Attached Files: