An Unholy Union V: DRZ forks on an Airhead

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Ras Thurlo, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Arktasian

Arktasian Feelin the BMEP

Oddometer:
    Your craftsmanship is admirable and the results justified.
    You might say "esoteric" compared to my perhpas crass "exoteric" add power and weight tendencies.
  2. The Patagonia Kid

The Patagonia Kid gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just want to add to your arsenal that in my case passed through the top clamp the forks 20 mm. I also believe many others have done it to keep the high of the front end closer to stock configuration.
  3. Jtdunn92

Jtdunn92 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the DRZ triple to work I understand that you need to use two 4mm spacers (one on top and one on the bottom).

I dropped my lower triple and stem off at a shop along with a 4mm spacer and new bearing with instructions to press the bearing on over the spacer. When I went to pick up the triple the bearing was pressed on the stem but they forgot to put the spacer on. They didn’t think they could get the bearing off without destroying it.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to put all 8mm on top? Is there enough thread for the locknut to grab with all 8mm on top?
  4. captain jc

captain jc wahoo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Should be able to easily tell by fitting the triple into the headstock, think the triple would rub on the bottom of the race without the spacer?
    Jtdunn92 likes this.
  5. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it will hit the steering stop and hit the steering head braces earlier as well.

@Jtdunn92, did you give the shop written instructions? If so, they are at fault and should fit it at their cost. But they should be able to press the steering stem out of the bearing and lower triple without damaging anything.
    Jtdunn92 and captain jc like this.
  6. Jtdunn92

Oddometer:
    I did not give written instructions but they did agree to do the work again for free they were just nervous about destroying the bearing. You live and you learn.

Got it. Sounds like I will take it back to them and ask them to do their best to press the stem back out to slip the spacer on.

I live in NYC and share a garage with about 30 other people. Its a really tight space so I don't have the ability leave my bike apart for multiple days while I fit and measure things. That is the main reason why I am trying to get everything lined up before start the swap. I am going to take over the bike lift for a long weekend and try to complete everything in one go.

Thanks everyone.
  7. shaner1100gs

shaner1100gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 1988 R100GS with DRZ forks and wheel. I did not use a spacer under the lower steering head bearing. I did use a spacer between the top triple tree and the lock nut. I also drilled and taped the steering stops to add bolts so the forks don't hit the tank.
    Jtdunn92 likes this.
  8. bleaknessengine

bleaknessengine Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    i miss the pics in this thread...
    :(
  9. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Okay. Took off the BMW Touring cases and slung the Kriegas back on again. I've already run through my complete pre-trip checklist on the bike.
    Kriegas.jpg
    I'm about 70% packed for a long ride down to Death Valley in a couple of days. I'll spend 4 days riding around and finally getting a chance to see how the new suspension (DRZ & TFX) works in some really terrible terrain. I just hope my newly restored shoulder is up to this...
  10. hunterkey

hunterkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I love my tfx shock! I've gotten into some gnarly terrain on it too. Still sorting out my DRZ swap. I hope to wrap that up soon. Curious if it will be as drastic of an improvement as the rear was.
  11. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    The simple answer is, Yes. It felt really, really different at first, at least coming from stock G/S forks.

Re-valving the DRZ forks helped to fix my issues with too much high speed compression damping. I may tear them apart again and work on the rebound some more, at a later date.
    The Patagonia Kid likes this.
  12. captain jc

captain jc wahoo Supporter

Oddometer:
    20210318_194051.jpg
    Here's the beginning of a drz fork swap. My buddy welding gussets on a r65ls frame that we're turning into mono lever. Frame is in a jig I made to check straightness, also helps to keep the frame from moving while welding on the hpn/swt style gussets.
  13. bleaknessengine

Oddometer:
    i do like new photos! but i miss the photos from earlier in the thread too, for reference hahaha

i really miss new photos in the airhead dirtbikes thread, though!
    hunterkey likes this.
  14. bleaknessengine

Oddometer:
    here’s my my little drz boys patiently waiting for me to finish my take-out fried chicken on the curb across the street. just so i’m not all talk haha

E719BC62-1037-4B75-8788-8F898D96270B.jpeg
  15. Jtdunn92

Oddometer:
    Question for you guys. I put new wheel bearings and laced my RM hub up to a new sun rim. Looks awesome and can’t wait to see it on the bike. One problem though... I can’t for the life of me get the r1150gs axle through the entire hub. It will go though one bearing and bearing spacer but gets hung up on the bearing on the opposite side. I can remove it and try putting it in from the other direction and it does the same thing. I messed around for a few hours trying to ensure the bearings were properly seated and the spacer was in the right position but no luck. Any ideas?
    • One (or both) bearings not seated correctly?
    • Maybe I damaged one of the bearings installing them?
    • Bent axle?
  16. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    My guess would be item #1, one or both bearings not seated. How did you pull them in to place? Do they roll smoothly when you shove a thumb into the middle of one?
    Jtdunn92 likes this.
  17. Jtdunn92

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. I heated the hub with a torch and then knocked the new bearings in with a drift but was careful to use the appropriate size. They roll very smoothly and appear to be seated correctly but it’s possible that one is slightly out of wack.
  18. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Your drift was just under 37mm diameter?

I find it better to always pull bearings in. I have some chunks of 5/8"-11 and 3/4"-10 all-thread, hex nuts, various sized heavy washers and old bearing races laying around.
    IMG_20200915_200845064.jpg
    IMG_20200915_201221905.jpg
    IMG_20200915_200914450.jpg IMG_20200915_201243782.jpg IMG_20200915_201410324.jpg
    The Patagonia Kid and stefaan like this.
  19. Jtdunn92

Oddometer:
    Makes sense. I have a feeling you’re right. I’ll give this a shot this week and will hopefully get the axle in. Just hope I didn’t damage and bearings or hub.

Thanks for the advice.
  20. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    If the bearings roll smoothly, they should be fine.