An Unholy Union V: DRZ forks on an Airhead

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Ras Thurlo, Jun 28, 2014.

1. infinityedge

infinityedge Long timer

Oddometer:
    1-2mm really isn't much.

Harley shipped a bunch of bikes with the front wheel off-center a good 2.5cm. Probably not the best idea, but it isn't suddenly going to be unrideable at a couple mm. Though at that little offset, you probably can re-adjust the spokes to center everything.
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took the Frankenbeemer to Death Valley
    FB in DV.jpg
    The re-valved forks worked much better on all the crappy "pavement" they have there, but my recently rebuilt shoulder kept me from doing more than just a tiny bit of off-road riding. Still, 1400+ miles in 5 days and the beast performed perfectly.
  3. Screaming Chicken

Screaming Chicken Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lovely view.

I'd be very tempted to paint a white "H" on that little platform on the back of the bike... :lol3
    The Patagonia Kid likes this.
  4. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    That's where I strap down my Bear Can when heading into black bear country.
  5. Jtdunn92

Jtdunn92 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made some good progress this weekend. Just waiting on the wheel to come back from being balanced.

One question for everyone. I used two 4mm washers on top of my steering stem bearing (8mm total) but there is a still a gap between the castle but and upper triple. Is that an issue? I would think you want the castle but to be right up against the upper triple to prevent it from backing out. Should I add additional spacers or does it not make a difference. See the picture below for reference.
    2ED131B2-B98A-43D6-92A6-D385A0F7F437.jpeg
  6. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Yes, you need to deal with that gap. Will the top triple slide down any farther or is it hitting the shoulder in the steering stem already?

Also, if I were you, I'd start thinking of some way to cover the top of the bearing to keep dirt and water out. Modify an original cover or make one out of a plastic bottle (mounted above the adjuster nut) that will extend down the side of the steering head by 1/4" or more.
    infinityedge and Jtdunn92 like this.
  7. Jtdunn92

Oddometer:
    Makes sense. The top triple won’t slide any further down. I’ll have a custom spacer made to fill the gap and eliminate the washers.

I plan on modifying the original dust cover once I get the spacers correct.
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  8. Jtdunn92

Oddometer:
    And here is some Easter eye candy for everyone. Still have to button everything up but very excited to be able to roll it around.
    98CB7B32-E2AD-404F-B7DD-5DBEFAE46016.jpeg
  9. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Very cool. I'm finally making progress on grafting a DRZ front-end onto my Sertao https://advrider.com/f/threads/2012-bmw-g650gs-sertao-owners.747861/page-769#post-42112918. Can't drop the old steering head at the moment because I need to go buy a M12 hex key.
    EDIT: old triple out. I made a M12 hex driver out of a M8 JIS hex bolt and some M8 nuts.
    Jtdunn92 likes this.
  10. infinityedge

infinityedge Long timer

Oddometer:
    I decided I wanted a steering damper but since it is a street bike with low bars, a Scott style wouldn’t fit. So I went down the rabbit hole of stupid decisions. Turned out pretty good for a dumb idea.

EEEBA50E-DDD8-4E1D-928D-584D3090E9DA.jpeg 99FE8E8D-A77E-4389-8497-015AAF1D34A8.jpeg
    D0CAFCC2-3741-4F30-BDAB-6ADEAF3ED4A2.jpeg
  11. IdahoAirhead

IdahoAirhead Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I did mine, I made the top spacer and dust cover all as one piece. If you are going to have one made, maybe this is an option for you:
    IMG_1437.JPG IMG_1438.JPG IMG_1439.JPG IMG_1440.JPG IMG_1441.JPG
  12. bleaknessengine

bleaknessengine Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    i have the rizoma bar clamps on my triples from prutser, but my bars are a little shorter in general than they were before the change. does anyone have a source for the correct size aluminum spacers needed to raise these little guys up an inch and a half or so?
  13. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Prutser supplied me with metric sized spacers (of course). They are 30mm OD and 10mm ID. Nothing readily available.

Adding some M10 washers might work for only 1/2" additional.
    I bought some 1" OD x 1/2" ID aluminum spacers and used some 1/2" OD stainless tubing I already had to sleeve them down to 10mm.
    bleaknessengine likes this.
  14. hunterkey

hunterkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got my front end on, and took it for a 500 mile ride! I'm pumped on it! It feels like it tracks way better in the twisties, and off road the bike goes over washboard effortlessly.
    For the spacers I have 75mm on the dampening rod, 25mm of preload, and 160mm of air space with my 5wt fork oil. I also used progressive springs.

This gave me 40mm of rider sag, which is perfect in relation to the 210mm of travel I have.

Here is a picture from the weekend. I'm ripping off @JakobDK 's style with this sweet headlight

IMG_4738.jpg
  15. Jtdunn92

Oddometer:
    Just an appreciation post for everyone that helped me over the last two months. Looking at you Motopsychoman. Bike is almost there. Just waiting on the plastic DRZ brake cable guides in order to route the brake cable properly.

IMG_6845.jpg IMG_6843.jpg
  16. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Very pretty. Interesting headlight shroud. What fork boots are those?

I've been busy too. Getting the DRZ front end on my G650GS Sertao so that it will match my Frankenbeemer
    IMG_20210430_183152657.jpg I had a number of issues that are all now resolved, except one. I forgot that the caliper mounts so much lower on the DRZ forks than on the original fork so my original brake line is now several inches too short. The new one from Venhill will be here today.
    Kind of cool. I managed to retain the original wheels and the ABS without much difficulty. Had many more issues with the DRZ triples and the steering stem. @Prutser sure made that part absolutely painless for my Frankenbeemer.
    The Patagonia Kid and Jtdunn92 like this.
  17. Jtdunn92

Oddometer:
    Looks great. The fork boots are Sealsavers. I have used them in the past on dualsports and they seem to get the job done.
    hunterkey and Jim K in PA like this.
  18. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Okay, got the new brake line installed and pulled the upper triple to install the cap over the upper bearing.
    Now 2 DRZ'd Frankenbeemers in the stable!
    IMG_20210503_172622992.jpg
  19. The Patagonia Kid

The Patagonia Kid gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Jblok

Jblok Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What kind of handle bars are those?