An XR and DRZ in Utah

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Rut Runner, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Rut Runner

Rut Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been to Utah many times, mostly in November and December. April in Moab was quite the contrast! Minimum 30 minute wait to get food at any restaurant-every informal car camping spot within a 20 mile radius taken-one trail had a line-up to get in! My buddy and I decided to avoid Moab over the Easter weekend and try somewhere else. We lucked out south of Hite where we had no trouble getting a private, primitive campsite on Lake Powell. The trails and scenery were just as good (if not better) than Moab. We could ride all day and not see more than a few other travelers. It was indeed the highlight of our trip.

I made up the video below, showing the highlights from each day.

2. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    wow, what a ride. Stunning scenery, thanks for putting the video up !
  3. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Awesome video. Sure brings back a lot of good memories...my favorite places. Your Blue Notch to Red Canyon was neat...not a lot of people find their way. Piute Pass is always interesting and no cake walk.
  4. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow.. some great riding there. Good job on the video too. Do you have tracks for that ride? I'd love to hit a couple of those trails next time I'm up there.
  5. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Some serious exposure on a few of those trails!
  6. yellowpig

yellowpig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bitchin
  7. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA, 2016 R1200RT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great video. I like how in some parts, the image stabilization makes it look almost like drone footage, like the camera is floating above you. Some definitely high pucker-quotient on some of those rim trails!
  8. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Wow thats great stuff! Heck of a haul to get out there from here (I'm in southern Ontario also) but I would love to do it sometime.
  9. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just watched the entire video @Rut Runner, as others have said - stunning scenery and incredible terrain you guys covered. Utah has been on my bucket list foe awhile and your vid just cemented it even more.

I would like to hit Moab, but I’m not a fan of crowds, touristy bs, and the like. Still worth going in your opinion? White Rim, Potash, and the technical stuff really appeals to me. So I seriously dug the tracks you hit in the first part of the vid.

Be great to have more info on what you packed, how you planned the trip and routes, etc. In a couple scenes, the bikes were really loaded with stuff.

In any event, thanks for taking the time to get the video together and posted. Well done!
  10. Rut Runner

Rut Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the positive comments. I'll look into getting some tracks and trail maps posted.

@TNC We had tracks for the Bluenotch-Red Canyon connector, even then we had some trouble getting on the right route! There's quite a mess a trails close to the water.
  11. KYwoodsrider

KYwoodsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really awesome video. I was going to watch a few minutes and ended up watching the whole thing.
    I would also be interested in any tracks you might have and your bike and camping set up as well.
  12. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only 3 min in. What was the deal with the vice grips on your brake reservoir?
  13. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome video. Thanks
  14. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    One year I was poking around for a route I thought I could see on Google sat view that was farther away from the river bed entry that is closer to the lake. Of course you eventually hit the Red Canyon river bed, but it takes you more inland for awhile. That's some awesome riding out there, and like you know, not the crowds closer to Moab.

I've never been a tracks guy or used them. Nothing against them, but even on my Oregon 450T I don't enter my own tracks. Most of my exploring in Utah has been off maps and prior planning at home using Google sat views. I'm thinking I'd like a GPS with that Birdseye feature. Anyway, always been mainly a map guy and then just poking around in areas when I get there. I've found some interesting stuff that wasn't on maps or GPS doing that.

Again, great video.
  15. GuidoHL

GuidoHL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, great video. What camera were you using? And are these just public tracks? As with many of the comments would love to see this on a map. Might be a while until we can get to the States from NZ but have had it on my bucket list for a while so this tells me to get sorted before I'm too frail to do so!! Were you carrying all your gear or did you have some on the DR? He looked pretty top heavy compared to the XR and I know having gear high on the rear is a bitch when doing tight stuff.
  16. Eastbay Dirtbag

Eastbay Dirtbag one track mind

Oddometer:
    Utterly fantastic! Possibly the best ADV video I have seen. The editing was fabulous! Every second drew me in.

We've ridden much of this but there is a lot that I would never attempt, except on a mountain bike .:lol3

My palms were sweating re-living the ride through Needles!

Thanks for sharing!
  17. KYwoodsrider

KYwoodsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This also makes a great work-out video.
    I used it this morning.
  18. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent video!!!!! You 2 be very skilled riders. So well done. One rider mentioned you hauled the bikes long way from TO to Utah. I routinely have done Prince Edward Island to s.w Texas, Arizona, south California and Mexico and Baja. Then again as a retired Petepilot I do have an advantage. Do ride with care, as you both well know a hospital will be a logistical problem. I shall rewatche the video in a few days. Petepilot