Anakee Adventure front tire: Damn my head hurts; does it get better?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by hammick, May 24, 2019.

1. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have 125 miles on my new R1250GSA. I was happy it came with the AA tires as I don't care for the howl of the front Anakee III. Well the AA front is off the charts worse than an AIII. Please tell me it goes away after a few hundred miles. I'm going on a long trip in a couple weeks and cannot deal with that sound. I'd be crazy by the second day.
  2. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    Just did 4500 miles in 10 days with my 1250 with AA. I ride with earplugs in most of the time. In my limited experience on this new bike the AA is substantially quieter than the A3. Even when I take my earplugs out. Maybe it’s the road surface you are riding on?
    sieg, SmittyBlackstone and Gadgetech like this.
  3. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    It does NOT go away unless the pavement changes. The amount of noise channeled up the forks area is pretty loud, but on the right pavement it plain disappears.

Some tires are a bit quieter than others but none eliminate it afaik.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have run Anakee III hated them because of how loud they were and ditched them at last years National for TrailSmart's for a great price not a bad tire but not great either, wont run them again.

Getting ready for this years National I put on Pirelli Trail II and in 200 miles am for sure in love.
  5. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it varies with the road surface. I do wear earplugs. Your 4,500 experience is the best I have to go on yet. Have you done those roads on an R1200GS or GSA with with AIIIs?
  6. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must be deaf. They seem great to me.
    Bill-66, SmittyBlackstone and scottdc like this.
  7. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    No I never did, after my A3 rear wore out On my 2016 I went straight to TKC. Then I moved down here to Texas, And rode TKC until I traded my 1200 GSA for a 1250 GSA. The A3 was just so loud I decided I could not justify buying another set. I know that the noise from the A3 Was really bad on grooved pavement, somewhat better on blacktop and variable on chip seal
  8. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not making this up. And I have more experience with Anakee IIIs on LC bikes than any other tire. I have a splitting headache after just a 50 mile ride.

The only time this front tire is quiet is when the bike is perfectly upright. Any lean whatsoever and the howl is horrific with earplugs. Better on some roads and worse on others. So if any crosswind or a road with a decent crown and its howling even if going perfectly straight. I'll just pull it off and throw it on the tire rack for when I sell the bike.

I'm guessing BMW doesn't test these tires on varying pavement or just doesn't care. Front tire howl on a long trip is a real bummer.
  9. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the only quiet time of that tire.
  10. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Crazy man! I just finished a 130 mile ride today on mostly blacktop and some concrete highways and didn’t notice anything. About the only issue I had was a little buffeting from the OEM windscreen.
    scottdc likes this.
  11. Yellow Dog

Yellow Dog Wanderer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the howl sounds like the tie fighters from the old Star Wars movies. Makes me feel like darth Vader.
  12. dj402

dj402 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those are quiet compared to the Heidenau scout K60.
  13. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was on back county two lane that was anything but fresh blacktop.
  14. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I don't have any experience with the tire so I Googled to find a pic of it. There's nothing alarming about the way it looks so this noise issue is a surprise.

Michelin_Anakee_Adventure.jpg

You definitely mounted it in the right direction?
  15. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried the Michelins, and ran back to TKC-80s. I really did. :yikes

The howl was incessant. :muutt
    SmittyBlackstone and JimVonBaden like this.
  16. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some folks must be more sensitive than others. I had about 3,300 miles on them before I wrecked and while I would hear them whine in the corners, I never heard anything annoying when upright, nor do the other two people I ride with that have them. They do get quieter on the sides after about 1,000 miles or so IME. I had Michelin PR4s on my Multi before that but I also had an open exhaust so there was no hearing any tire noise anyway.

ETA: I always wear an earplug that has a 33db NRR which is pretty restrictive. Maybe my opinion would change after my custom earplugs get here as they have a lower NRR.
    scottdc and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  17. Las

Las Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a ‘19 1250 GS with, now, 2000 miles on it. It came with Bridgestone A41s. I am partially deaf and ride with noise cancelling earbuds, so I don’t hear much tire noise. I have noticed that over 80 mph, the bike starts to vibrate; not a wheel balance type vibration but a low frequency hum type that gives me a headache. I’ve never had this experience on any other motorcycle. Could the issue that people are reporting with AAs and AAIIIs being noisy really be caused by the bike itself?
  18. Sharkbyte

Sharkbyte Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is interesting... I just went on a ride all day yesterday 312 miles and as of yet have not noticed any noise... In fact I thought the tires seem rather quiet. Keep in mind my only comparison is my Husqvarna FE501 with DOT Dirt Bike tires on it...
  19. greg.279

greg.279 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Metzeler Karoo 3s are super loud too, so definitely don't switch the those.
    Fosters and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  20. gonzomup

gonzomup ChainGang Recidivist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went for a 150-ish mile ride today. On my 1150GS-Adv, running (cold) 32psi front, 36 psi rear, I got a bit of howl passing through about 45 miles per hour. Outside of that, I didn't really notice anything horrible. I do wear earplugs. Granted, I was running Mitas E-07s just before this, so take my experience with a grain of salt. :norton