Anakee Adventure front tire: Damn my head hurts; does it get better?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by hammick, May 24, 2019.

1. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow we must be the most eclectic group of people in the world.

To me the tire is the LOUDEST tire I have ever run and that includes Metzler 880 on the LT!

Yet here we are guys say they are fine and they hear nothing.

I live in PA and we have all kinds of road surfaces, concrete, asphalt, some chip and seal, and potholes that will swallow your front wheel. They HOWLED no matter what once off center leaned even a tiny bit.

I never had a complaint about it's grip or wear. I changed them out at 5700 miles as I could not take it any longer. I would love to have the same tire without the howl.

Just a bad tire for this bike and me.

The Scorpion Trail II is all that and a bag of chips with salsa too! As long as I can get 7-8K out of them I will be more then happy. Tires are cheap compared to a insurance deductible. These are the stickiest, quietest tire I have even run on any bike. And they heat up very quickly. A few blocks I see a 1 PSI change. I have never had a set of tires respond that quickly!

I wish I knew why we have this sound perception difference between us all. I am a gray beard and yes I used to listen to albums spin at levels that would make your ears bleed.

I do wear custom ear plugs and do have decent hearing so I truly am stumped on why we perceive these tire differently.
  2. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did a couple hundred miles yesterday on some of the same roads and some different roads. The pavement surface certainly makes a difference. Some of the roads the tire was fine. And others it howled like Star Wars as someone mentioned. My riding this summer will be out West, BC and a little AK. No way I'm using the AA for this type of riding. Guaranteed to put me in a real bad mood with a splitting headache.

Michelin and BMW if you are reading this test your tires in real world conditions. Not on your track that is perfect.
    RunninRanger likes this.
  3. robwormald

robwormald Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm at ~2500 on mine and I suppose maybe they're marginally quieter, but they still howl at any level of lean. They also are extremely loud on grooved pavement (of which we have lots in the Bay Area...).

With the lid closed on my E1 and no plugs, its mostly muted, but then the farking helmet peak starts to flutter and THAT gives me a headache instead. My new Klim Krios helmet, the peak doesn't flutter, but now I can hear the tires again...

At this point I figure if I'm gonna have tires as noisy as this, I should at least get full knobbies. I do very much like the feel of the tires, on and off-road.
    RunninRanger likes this.
  4. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2018 GS has 6000 miles on the AIII's and they are still as noisy as the day I bought my bike home. As others have mentioned the tire noise is worse on some road surfaces compared to others but the noise is always there. I wear ear plugs and that makes riding my GS bearable but I'll be looking for a quieter tire when it comes time to replace the AIII's. I don't do any off road riding so if I can find a touring tire that fits I'll go in that direction. I don't get any road noise from the tires on my K16GTL or Kawasaki H2SXSE.
  5. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    No offroad I would do PR4s 100% of the time. Stick like glue, super quiet and reasonably priced.
    Motorius likes this.
  6. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks I'll make a mental note to get the PR4's when it comes time to buy new tires for my GS.
  7. Der Kaiser

Der Kaiser Caped Crusader

Oddometer:
    I had exactly the same experience as GadgetTech -- with 3,200 miles on my Anakee Adventure-equipped R1250GS before I wrecked! As he stated, I found that the tires howled a bit as you entered turns -- on center they were just fine -- and it was made worse by virtue of the fact that the noise would be channeled through the opening for the forks and headstock. It did get a bit better with additional mileage but it never went away. I will say that the Adventures were excellent tires from a wet grip standpoint and I was doing some very spirited road riding with guys on Multistradas that were running PR4's and 5's. About 10% of my riding was on dirt and gravel roads -- and the tire excelled on those surfaces. I'd definitely be open to buying another set.
  8. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you tried adjusting the pressure a bit? That can have a dramatic effect in my experience.
  9. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm convinced people who can't hear that tire howl are either partialy deaf or have a notch in their hearing in that frequency range. I've been riding alongside someone with AIIIs, and I could hear them howling, and also hear my own tires howling, and he was like "I don't hear anything" and he wasn't wearing plugs either.
    Which might have been a clue...
  10. Dogslobber

Oddometer:
    I have a known and identified(by audiologist) gap in my hearing. I don't have the exact frequency range in front of me, but it is in the higher registers and fairly narrow.
  11. Podman

Podman Rocketman

Oddometer:
    Have about 4000 miles on anakee adventure and overall really like the tire. They had some noise in the beginning but nothing for the last 3000 miles or so. Handling is excellent and I have to say I like them as much as previous tire which was avon trail rider. IMG_3794 3.jpeg
  12. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don’t hear it, sorry. That said I do ride a lot of dirt bikes too and comparatively these tires are quiet! So, maybe I tune them out.

I don’t wear plugs or anything but in contrast to my speed Triple with Rossis they are louder but to themselves I could drive hundreds of miles and not be bothered.
  13. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine started to get a bit better after 6000 miles. Still howl in corners but they have become tolerable while going straight. My experience is while wearing 25db reducing ear plugs. I can't imagine riding a bike with these tires without ear plugs.

Next up is Dunlop RoadSmart III's. I will be installing those sometime in September.
  14. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's some great mileage out of that tire...wow.
  15. WillieJ

WillieJ MotorMan

Oddometer:
    Do you have a recommendation for pressures vs. noise? Either for AIII or AAdv.
  16. Dogslobber

Oddometer:
    I'm running AAdv at 35front, 40 rear.
  17. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    I've listened for and just cannot hear any unusual noise from the set of AAdvs on my Super Tenere. I do use 32db ear plugs all the time and have a Delkevic exhaust, that's not all that loud. Scratching my head about these complaints...
    scottdc likes this.
  18. Gadgetech

Oddometer:
    What size tire do you run on that bike? I could definitely hear the AAs when in corners, but not when I was riding in a straight line.
  19. Dogslobber

Oddometer:
    If you guys want to hear what real howling is, put on a Wild front tire! Those things scream like a Banshee being tortured!! These Adventures are silent compared to those.
  20. Gadgetech

Oddometer:
    I've heard Karoo's are bad too.
    Dogslobber likes this.