Anakee Adventure front tire: Damn my head hurts; does it get better?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by hammick, May 24, 2019.

1. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m the OP and I feel I need to dial back my criticisms of these tires. I’m 2k miles into a long trip and the tires have been fine. The front can be loud on certain roads but Most roads they are fine. If I close the shield on my E1 helmet it goes away completely. They are not my favorite road tires but they were pretty good in dry dirt and gravel.
    Dogslobber likes this.
  2. SEKhund

SEKhund Wind Sucks!

Oddometer:
    I just replaced my Anakee III's on my 2017 GSA with the AA and immediately noticed the increase in noise whenever cornering. Straight down the road, nothing. But get into a corner and they do seem to wail. I just finished a 2770 mile trip and the noise is still there. Love the tire though. I live in the sticks so all of my rides start and end on sand/dirt/mud depending on the weather. Cornering on the Cherahala Skyway was epic. Wet handling seems to be more efficient than the Anakee III. Without going to a true 50/50 tire, I'm impressed.
  3. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That Cherohala will wear them out quick!
    SEKhund likes this.
  4. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    110/80x19 front and 150/70x17 rear. Yeah, I’ve even tried coasting ‘round corners with the clutch pulled and the music turned down. Just not hearing it. Of course the Super Ténéré is a bit of a clattery bike.
    Gadgetech likes this.
  5. _Gir_

_Gir_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Probably why the front is varied...brief complaint on design at 08:20
  6. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    The noise from the front is inherent to the 1200 LC bikes. It’s not a big thing but if you choose something like an A3 you’re going to pay.
    Maybe worse with a knobbie tread depending on the make.
    The A3 is a whining bitch regardless of it being a 90/10 tire.
    So, I believe we’re talking about LC’s here anyway. It’s going to be different on other models.
    For what it’s worth, I’m using Pirelli Scorpions Trail IIs and life is good.
    Motorius likes this.
  7. WyldCFH

WyldCFH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just did about 4000 miles on A3s and had no issue with noise. This was using a Klim Krios Pro behind a Puig windshield, up and down positions, on my 1250GS.
    Total of 5k miles on them so far in a variety of road surface types and no complaints from me on the noise.

I wonder if those with noise complaints are using brain buckets, 3/4 helmets or none at all...
  8. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Well, everyone has there hearing tolerance I suppose.
    I demo’d abike with A3s and even with ear plugs I thought there was something wrong with the bike.
    Next test ride was one with NEXT tires and completely different noise wise.
    I made sure my purchase bike did not have A3s...
  9. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Much of the noise is tied to your road surfaces. The tougher the pavement the more the bike sounds like a pressure washer.

Even with PR4’s in many surfaces my GSW is much louder than my camhead R12R sporting the exact same treads.
  10. PerazziMx14

PerazziMx14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put Anakee 3's on my 06 GS then bought a KCGS with well work TKC-80's. The TKC's are many times quieter on pavement and handle well.

I like the way the A3's handle and are lasting but my 1st set will probably be my last because of the excessive noise. I ride with ear plugs and/or ear buds w/ music playing and the howl is still present.
  11. WyldCFH

WyldCFH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not some young buck just getting his driving permit. I understand road surfaces cause different level of sound. I can tell you, I have ridden A3s on traditional tarmac/blacktop, concrete and chip&seal. Yes, some are louder than others, but none have been an inconvenience let alone headache enducing or "jump on the internetz and complain" loud.

From Houston, through southern NM & AZ, north through AZ then into Las Vegas, turning and going through southern UT & CO, then down through northern NM into west TX > north Texas > back to Houston I'm pretty sure I've hit all the major road types on my A3s. As quiet as the Road 5s on my Super Duke R? No, but still quiet enough that I hear the exhaust more than the tires.
  12. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish I could have said the same about my A3’s sounding quieter than my exhaust. When I had them on the bike it usually sounded like a pressure washer or an air hose in a garage.
  13. rdbonds

rdbonds Breaker of Things

Oddometer:
    I think part of the variability in people hearing it or not might not related to the tire, but rather the existence or lack of background noise. If a bike is set up with a low windshield and you're riding with your helmet in the wind (even smooth flow), you're not likely to hear the tires over the wind noise. If you run with a large/tall shield in still air, you're likely to hear the tires even if you have earplugs in. There's simply not enough noise to hide it. :) On my other bike (GoldWing), the rear tire howls a bit in a lean when it gets worn. With the windshield full up, it's quite noticeable. With the windshield full down, I barely notice it. YMMV.
    Boxerbreath, Pch123 and Motorius like this.
  14. todcp

todcp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For me the noise is annoying enough to replace the Adventure well before they are worn. The addition of vibration at highway speeds seals the deal. Mine will hit the trash before I reach 2,500 miles.