anakee adventure or K60's for a trip to deadhorse

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by CmdrPopNFresh, Feb 12, 2020.

1. CmdrPopNFresh

CmdrPopNFresh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys! I have a trip planned for this summer up to Deadhorse and a side route through Dawson city and I need input on tire choices.

Right now I'm leaning towards putting on some Michelin anakee adventures and going the whole trip on them. I like that they are dual compound and offer good wet weather performance on road....I've ridden to Fairbanks before and I know how rainy that trip can be. I am concerned though that they might not perform well on the dirt sections of the Dalton and top of the world highways.

I hear good things about the Heidenau K60's and I'm wondering if they would be a better option for the dirt sections. I could ride up on a set of plain old street tires and then get a set of K60's through Advcycleworks.com and have Dan install them for me in Fairbanks before I go up (and hit the Top of the World Highway on the way home) and just use them all the way home. I am concerned that they might not be a great choice for all the highway riding.

so...what are your thoughts? I'm trying to keep in mind that the dirt is only a small part of the whole 8200 miles and choose a tire that will do both but mainly keep me safe on the pavement.

EDIT: this trip will be done on my 1290 Super Adventure T
  2. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put on a fresh set of Metzeler Tourance tires and rode them from Virginia to Dead Horse and then all the way down to Seattle. I probably could have made it home on them...but decided that I didnt want to risk a nasty thunderstorm with well worn tires. So, put on a set of TKC 70's in Seattle.

So, that said...I had K60's on my 1150 for a long pavement ride and they had a fairly significant vibration over the Michelin's that were on it before. So, for the very short amount of non-pavement you'll be on, I dont think it's worth the other 7500 miles of uncomfortable pavement riding to have a little better traction on the Dalton or Top of the World highway.

Never tried the Anakee's...but based on the tread pattern, I would pick them over the K60's for this ride.
  3. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    If I do it again, I'll ride street tires up, and change out to dirt tires up there. Then change back to street tires before I head south.
    Exurban likes this.
  4. CmdrPopNFresh

CmdrPopNFresh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply! I think you’re right.
  5. CmdrPopNFresh

CmdrPopNFresh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply! I have also considered this. My only problem is the top of the world highway. If I change tires in Fairbanks then I’m doing top of the world on street tires. Now if I could find a place in Whitehorse to get my tires sent to and changed then I’ll definitely do that.
  6. Migolito

Oddometer:
    Order some from fortnine, have them shipped to Dawson, or Whitehorse.
  7. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you considered mitas e07s or the Dunlop trailmax missions ?
  8. CmdrPopNFresh

CmdrPopNFresh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are there any shops that can swap tires for me in Whitehorse?
  9. fatpony

fatpony Dixiecrat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Early June 2019, I rode my CRF 1000 from the Apalachicola River in NW FL to Fairbanks and up the Dalton to the circle . Then to Dawson City via the Top of the World and on to Inuvik then Tuk and the return trip to NW FL all in 21 days and 11860 miles on the same Mitas 07 Dakars I left home on. I had USPS'ed a new set 30 days prior to leaving to the guy in Fairbanks, never made it to him until I got home. No trouble on any of the pavement. Only wished for knobbier tires on one quarter mile stretch of the Dempster about 50 miles north of Eagle Plains. Between the ferries and between Inuvik and Tuck it was more marbles than muck. The only other rough spot was a 100 foot piece of construction just before the bridge north of Watson Lake. Real loose and mucky there. It rained EVERY DAY of the trip. Sometimes just showers and thick mist, some days toad drowning floods, but rain of some type EVERY DAY. The roads were always wet. Pavement always had either mud or gravel or both in spots (usually curves and on bridges). Maybe street rubber could have been fine for all but the dirt, but I'm convinced I would have had several drops, get-offs, and prob an ass buster or more if not for the Mitas tires I had on. I've replaced the trip tires with another 07 Dakar rear and a TKC fr. The Mitas fr had worn "funny" like an Anakee if you know what I mean.
    Good luck, Mike
  10. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I road from California up to Deadhorse and back to Fairbanks with Shinko 705's on my 990 Adventure and they worked perfectly fine. The other two riders I was with had 705's as well. In Fairbanks I had Dan put on some K60's because that's what he had that fit my bike. Proceeded to ride the Top of the World over to Dawson, pavement down to Oregon, a day's worth of dirt in Oregon, and then lots of pavement on back to California. Hated every damn minute of those K60's being on my bike. Upon arriving home I yanked those things off and chucked then in the trash with all of about 3000 miles on them. With the K60's you are giving up an enormous amount of pavement performance for a modicum of improvement in dirt performance. Just not worth it for me.

My bottom line is don't overthink the dirt aspect of your ride. When the Dalton is dry it's just a big dirt road and you blast along at 80 mph. When it's a little wet any 80/20 tire is going to do fine. When it's really raining the mud is like oatmeal and slick as snot and, quite honestly, it's really going to suck no matter what ultra aggressive tire you have.

As of late I've been running MotoZ Tractionators on my 990 and have been quite happy. My rides here in CO are always a mix of dirt and pavement and I have found these tires strike a good balance between dirt and street performance. They are holding up well to my hamfisted throttle antics too.
    wvshoem likes this.
  11. Migolito

Oddometer:
    yup. Google em and I believe there are at least 2. Also, post up on the Alaska forum and there are some great inmates who will hook you up.
  12. wvshoem

wvshoem Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Completely agree about the K60s - Couldn't wait to get them off my GS. Absolutely hated them. Terrible front end vibration and dangerous when cold and wet.

I have no experience with the Michelin Anakee. Running Mitas E07 Dakars now and like them. Competent on both dirt and tarmac.
    twinrider likes this.
  13. CmdrPopNFresh

CmdrPopNFresh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input guys! Looks like I’m going with anakee adventures or something similar. I’ve run pilot road 3s and 4s for a long time with great results so I would expect to be similarly impressed with the anakees
  14. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have about 6k on anakee adventures and they're a very well behaved tire. They've held up great mostly on pavement 2up.
  15. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    I am planning the same trip to Deadhorse and Tuk from CT and I had the same problem. I love the TKC80's. I have used them on the North Road. The Trans Labrador Highway and two trips to James bay. The problem with them is I would have to replace the TKC80's around 4 or 5 times on this trip. I had used the K60's for a short time and they scared the hell out of me on wet asphalt. I have a friend, excellent rider lose it on a very slight wet corner at pretty low speed on K60's. Anyway, I have chosen for my trip the Mitas E07 Dakars. I know nothing about them other than what some others have said but I am hoping they will travel almost all of the 12-15000 miles including all the gravel roads. I hope this works and that is my plan.
  16. jthomas82

jthomas82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m riding to dead horse in June and right now I’m going with the Anakee Adventure. I’m running one now and it has 3000 miles in it and looks like it will go 6k easy on my 1290R. I’ve tried the K60 on my GSA and hated them. I couldn’t get them off quick enough.
  17. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Luck with weather, construction and how flexible an itinerary is bring a bunch of variables compounded by rider skill and what one will or will not choose to ride in or on (rain, mud, cold, wait it out or hold my beer and watch this....etc.).

+1 if it's reasonably dry almost any tire will be fine for a reasonably competent rider and if seeing more deteriorating weather and road conditions obviously a more aggressive dirt bias tread will be preferred. I enjoyed almost all dry conditions and had zero issues on anakee III nor the original model tourance installed in Anchorage. Couple things to keep in mind is "X" tire wear can be very different for different riders due to many factors so have a plan to replace a tire or chain or fork seal, etc., "just in case" and for me only and YRMV, if a particular tire was "needed" to enjoy a 1000 miles of dirt in AK-Canada it is what I would get installed somewhere, e.g., in Anchorage I paid list and $35.00 bucks install so don't worry about mortgaging the farm should need arise. For me, I was on a 15,000 mile trip and while a few hundred bucks is not coffee money, I would not have gone that far and been shy something so relatively inexpensive and easy to address should one need to swap a tire. I guess if "Arctic" travel required a 10 foot ladder to clear all hurdles and the rest of my trip only required an 8 foot ladder, I would have a ten foot ladder and not be stopped even if the rest of the time it was a bit of a pain in the ass to live with (less noise and vibrations on all that pavement mean nothing if it prevented fun once I was "there").

Plan logistics for contingencies, have a reasonable amount of $ budgeted and then enjoy without overthinking, you will have an amazing ride!
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  18. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like Yukon Honda is still there. That’s where I had new tires mounted and they were very accommodating. As I recall, they either stocked or ordered the TKC80s and held them for me. I did not have to have them shipped there.
  19. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    My experience as well.