Analogue Africa - Top to bottom just before the Internet

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by richeyroo, Jan 12, 2017.

1. bozo92

bozo92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Superb RR.
    Lucky you, you have done this trip when it was possible with the stress of travelling in Africa, but not the extra stress we can experience nowadays.
    I visited a lot of the countries you were in or so (lately Niger in 2010), and honestly, my family won't let me go now.:loco
    Being over 60, I planned a ride around the Mediterranean sea :ricky. Look at the map and forget it:nah
    Waiting for the 2nd leg of the trip.
    Yannick likes this.
  2. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great updates! I thing you two chose a good era to travel in. Still some infrastructure remnants from the Colonial days and even though there was some crazy crap going on it hadn't hit the heights it is at today.
  3. mmoore89

mmoore89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would love to see the pictures in this thread... would you consider re-uploading them?
    jfink likes this.
  4. Grantwallace

Grantwallace The MFWIC Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too.... being the same age as the author and experiencing the same path to military service and having seen the world on Uncle Sam’s dime, l’d love to see what I missed because of my choices after serving.
  5. Zanie

Zanie n00b

Oddometer:
    I've registered today for one reason and that is to ask this question: Where is the rest of this report???!!
    td63 likes this.
  6. siswati

siswati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Totally empathize!!! But realize I am replying to a more than 2-year old comment!!!:-):-)
  7. richeyroo

richeyroo XR650L, CRF450X,

Oddometer:
    Holy moly. I need to finish this. I'll see what i can do
    undingen, Snowq, Vacillator and 6 others like this.
  8. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy moly please do finish. this report is in the right place , epic rides!thanks so much for sharing and congrats your still around to talk about it !
    John
    knight likes this.
  9. SteveTheLocal

SteveTheLocal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto! And Bravo! A great ride, even vicariously. And what became of the comely Tracy?
  10. siswati

siswati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Richeryroo - please do continue with this thread - so enjoyable and you are a great storyteller with a wicked sense of humor. I grew up in Africa and traveled extensively, also knew a lot of overlanders, and your experiences are spot on. Really enjoying your insights
  11. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    Moar!! This is better than a book or a movie...
    As a fellow XTZ 750 rider I was hooked from the start.
  12. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just piling on: brilliant. More please!
  13. thadf

thadf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wonderfully written!

Thanks for taking the time to do this...
  14. xbok

xbok Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome read. Thanks for sharing.
  15. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An enjoyable read, till it was done. Much interested in what the conclusion to this tale was. All riders, have a great 2020!!
  16. richeyroo

Oddometer:
    Right where was I ?
    Oh yes, in 1995, running away from Benin soldiers who'd stolen our multi-vitamin tablets before my girlfriend stole them back, resulting in me thinking an AK47 was going to do for us and leave us in a shallow grave somewhere in deepest darkest Africa
  17. richeyroo

Oddometer:
    Sorry I've been away from this report for the last 1107 days, I imagine readers have been logging on every single day waiting for the update. Well sadly the pictures at this point are dismal so I will have to make up for it with the stellar quality of the writing

And there doesn't seem to be much need for a resume being as you can read about our adventures so far in the previous 5 pages so please do

Suffice to say........ 1 boy, 1 girl, 1 motorbike called Howard and a continent called Africa all met up for an adventure in 1995 and this is the story of what happened when you don't have the internet to research sensible plans before hand. At this point, we're a few months in to the trip and probably the worst thing that's happened so far is either our luggage nearly being swept out to sea in a transit van whilst crossing the Sahara or an angry police chief demanding money with menace for petrol whilst he took our friends to visit some prostitutes. We were having fun

And tip toeing through the jungle, making sure bridges were safe to cross

20200208_091125.jpg
    td63, B10Dave and squadraquota like this.
  18. richeyroo

Oddometer:
    New readers will need to know that I am referencing my old handwritten diary so my alcohol stewed brain can try to gain some recollection of what happened 25 years ago. It looks like this

20200208_093628.jpg
    td63 likes this.
  19. richeyroo

Oddometer:
    It's difficult to understand the mindset of the time as the second sentence reads "nice people, nice campsite, did runner all the same" . Regular readers will know that this was a regular occurence. I'm genuinely sorry and at least some will be pleased to know that we got our comeuppance several months later at a Catholic mission when we tried to do a runner from the house of our Lord. More of that later
    td63 and B10Dave like this.
  20. richeyroo

Oddometer:
    We had wanted to leave Benin nice and early to give ourselves a full day to get into Nigeria and so deal with the inevitable admin that would entail. Our planning went somewhat awry because although Tracy and I were stamped out of the country with ease, all done by 7am, Howard was somewhat more difficult. It was explained to us that the correct customs official wasn't around at the moment and would be expected after lunch. Our experience was that screaming and shouting rarely resulted in getting things done quickly so we sat in the sun and played cards right outside the customs hut. For 5 hours. We ate rice and beans too but not for 5 hours hours. Eventually, at 1pm we were summoned into the hut and politely asked to sit at a chair. A young Benin official respectfully guided a frail and elderly gentleman into the hut and assisted him to his seat behind the desk. There was some discussion which we didn't understand and the young man picked up the older fellows hand, guided it towards the stamp, guided it towards the ink pad, guided it towards our Carnet de Passage and helped the chap stamp our Carnet to get Howard out of Benin. Well blow me down, the guy we'd waited 5 hours was not only elderly and frail, but also completely blind. Now it could have been a huge charade, a game played by the locals on idiot Western travellers but we had no idea what to make of it except to roar with laughter and enjoy the rediculousness of our new life.
    Right. Out of Benin. Into Nigeria
    Snowq, Jersey87, WJW and 2 others like this.