Anbody have a DeLorme PN-40?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by DirtNap, Apr 4, 2010.

1. GauloisUSA

GauloisUSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I listened, I purchased it , I installed it and I like it.
    The RAM mount is compact enough as to not take too much space and I placed it exactly where I wanted. Thanks rwamf.
  2. Toddwmac

Toddwmac ADV addict

Oddometer:
    Love mine

TOPO 8 is a little dated but 9 looks good.
  3. justlookin

justlookin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    RWAMF or anyone else have you used this update yet? I really want this ability to store and retrieve additional tracks from the SD card without a carrying a computer. That said I did some reading on the Delorme site and only have more questions - is this update only going to be offered in conjunction with TOPO 9? I just bought a PN40 with TOPO8 after reading about this update. Also does the update work as promised? Thanks
  4. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    I think I understand that 2.7 allows you to save some things direct to the SD card. But 2.7 was geared torwards the PN users who run delorme GIS program (forget the name).

2.8 brings in a whole new download manager so you are required to switch to topo9. In fact I think the firmware only comes with topo 9? but I might be wrong.

I am thinking of doing the upgrade hoping some of the closed roads I found on my last trip (routed with topo8) will be marked closed in topo9.
    Hopefully the upgrade comes with another voucher for maps which makes it cheaper.

Last time I called (2 weeks ago), they said July 1st might be the release date.
  5. justlookin

Oddometer:
    Thanks TOWPRO I ordered TOPO9 so we will see how it goes.
  6. justlookin

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to give an update and maybe ask another question. I have purchased the TOPO9 and am using the 2.8 firmware. I have taken garmin tracks and converted them to GPX with GPS Visualizer and sent them directly to a SD card - plugged it into a PN-40. It seems to work well but I have a question for more knowledgeable users - when I activate one of these SD card tracks 1st it loads the GPX track to internal memory? It gives me 3 options Save, Clear or Follow. If I choose Follow, it says that it is "converting to a route" - does the Delorme alter the track like a Garmin or is this track kept intact as it was originally drawn?
    I will mention that I have used Garmin since GPS111 days and I had learning difficulties over the years. I think that my familiarity with the Garmin has made learning the Delorme more difficult. I go to the online forums and really feel like they are a tremendous amount of time spent looking for answers. As an example - Delorme is proud enough to tell you what new 2.8 firmware update will do but if you go online there is no place to learn how to use it that I can find. Only endless discussion of whether it should be free or not. They seem to expect you to be familiar with previous firmware changes so that the new firmware is a small step - but they forget that everyone starts somewhere and if they want their business to grow they had better do a better job of communicating directions to their complicated software.
    Sorry about the rant but I feel I left Garmin for the same reasons as the OP and although I will not go back unless Garmin makes some changes, sometimes I think this Delorme is the other end of the spectrum.:D