Anchorage to Calgary-help

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by tourman, Jul 4, 2005.

1. tourman

tourman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thinking about going from Anchorage to Calgary. What is the best way and what are the roads like-how many miles a day can you cover comfortably and are there accomodations(not camping)-ride is on RT not GS. Any info would be very helpful-never been in Alaska.
  2. AirForce

AirForce Abbey Normal

Oddometer:
    The first stop should be your local bookstore to pick up a copy of "The Milepost". This is a mile by mile listing of just about everything in the northcountry and an invaluable aid to travelling up there. It will answer a lot of your questions. Your RT should do just fine on the trip. The toughest, and best, part of the trip will be the Alaska Highway from Dawson Creek to Alaska. From Calgary up to Dawson Creek is just like any other populated area and you'll be on freeway most of the way. Road conditions will be good except for the inevitable road repair sections. I don't have any first hand knowledge of the Alaska Highway in the summer because the times I have driven it have been in November and February. Good luck and do whatever you have to to make the trip. You'll love it!
  3. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    Miles per day is a pretty individualized thing. RT will help decrease fatique--Flying Barca lounger.

:lurk

Jurgen
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    No one has ever done this before.

A map?
  5. tourman

tourman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for personal experiences- a map-duuuh-must have taken you a long time to type it!
  6. tourman

tourman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like your suggestion-I guess what I am looking for is if the roads will permit 400-500 mile days. Back in the states I can do the 500 without much of an issue.
    Thanks
  7. slideways

slideways España

Oddometer:
    Take the ALCAN east to Dawson Creek take 2 out of Dawson Creek to Grande Prarie the n 40 to Hinton 16 to Jasper, 93 south to Lake Louise, 1a to Banff, then 1 to Calgary.
  8. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Alaska Highway is paved except for some places where it's being repaved or repaired. Don't worry about the road, Goldwings do it all the time. You can expect gas every 50 miles or so along with a place to eat and or stay. Figure $50-$100 per night. 600 miles is an easy day. Have fun, Bear
  9. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bud and I road from teslin to anchoarge in a day that was 850mi but we were flat out flying. The road was great just be ready to look down and see your doing 100+:D
  10. tourman

tourman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input-the road conditions don't sound like a concern and the pace is mine to decide. I have ordered the milepost which sounds like a "don't leave home without it" book for travels in Alaska. Any other suggestions are always welcome!!!
  11. OldRider 125

OldRider 125 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How hard is it to find a vacancy during the summer months? Is a motel room in Fairbanks hard to get in the summer? Thanks