And away we finally go...VanIsle to La Ventana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by VanIsle180, Oct 7, 2019.

1. VanIsle180

VanIsle180 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some years ago, like 15, I decided I needed to do this ride. Years of planning, working, failing and flailing later ...away we finally go! Just me and my new to me R1200GSA. First time in my life I've had the time, the money, the health and the bike to at least start. So September 30 I finally hit the button. Forgetting most of what I needed and packeting too much other crap I fired her up in Deep Bay and headed south. Couple days of "distraction" in Victoria, a night in Vancouver and I was finally crossing the border...in the pouring rain. Didn't matter, shit eating grin I headed to Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston, WA. (Sore butt, Call Rich) nuff said.

That was day one , I'll call it, Vancouver, Canada to Kingston WA. Little bit of I-5 slogging then onto Whitbey Island and the bliss began. Deception Pass bridge and minimal traffic. Got the Port Townsend ferry with 2 minutes to spare and rolled into Kingston at dusk. Maybe 300km with some stops.

Day 2 was started as a shop morning in brilliant sunshine, the already comfy Bmer seat was converted into what now feels like sitting on a couch. Out of there around 2 pm for Ilwaco, WA. A tired fishing town with a great bar/motel combo in the harbour called Salt. The road into Ilwaco from the NE is too die for....Hwy 101 does not disappoint. Again not huge mileage at 280 km.

3 was south to Florence, OR. Some of the most scenic vistas, twists and hills, a true marvel of engineering. Moss growing on the side of the road but dry where it needed to be, Bmer singing, me grinning. The Astoria Bridge across the Columbia is in itself worth the trip, Coffee Girl for breakfast some random outdoor store to pick up what I'd left behind and south. Not the land for pinning it but what a ride! The rise and fall north of Lincoln City will leave a smile on your face. On the descent into Florence the beginning of the big dunes start to show. Again, beautiful day and no traffic. Much of the city is now a strip mall but old town has a great vibe and good food. Only 320 km but hours of fun.

Day 4 (today) ended up in Willow Creek, CA...what can I say more twists and hills than you could count, through Redwood State Forest in the sun. Lunch stop in Trinidad, go to the Eatery!! Bit further down the road and a left onto Hwy 299. The road climbs and bends and as with elevation up came the temperature too. Warm, dry, sunny, perfect pavement and zero traffic....500km and all smiles.

Tomorrow is Reno via Shasta and HWY 89...more to come.

Some pics of October on the Northwest Coast...when I get a better wifi connection.
  2. VanIsle180

VanIsle180 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    View attachment 1936287 IMG_1390.jpg IMG_1392.jpg IMG_1393.jpg IMG_1400.jpg IMG_1403.jpg IMG_1420.jpg IMG_1421.jpg
    Willow Creek, the big sasquatch statue, started cold. +4c, beautiful empty roads, Hwy 299 let the heat in around Redding and the temperature rapidly climbed to +28c. Shedding layers I took Hwy 44 east to Hwy 89 and up and over, through Mt Lassen Park....what a ride. Topped out at over 8500'. Down the other side and south to Truckee, CA. A left turn had me in Reno in under an hour. Rest day in Reno yesterday, guess I'm getting old plus the Whiskey Sours are free!! Same this morning leaving town though, +4 for hours until the road finally drops into Bishop, CA. In Lone Pine for the night, up early tomorrow and heading for Death Valley then south to Joshua Tree. Calexico, San Felipe etc. to come. I'm still rolling solo....anyone...anyone.
    Mediocre Man likes this.
  3. VanIsle180

VanIsle180 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1436.jpg Main street Lone Pine, CA
    IMG_1438.jpg IMG_1439.jpg IMG_1440.jpg The Valley
    IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1453.jpg Mojave Desert

Once again a cold start out of Lone Pine, CA. Hovering just around freezing. I blasted east for the western entrance to Death Valley, within an hour and with a significant drop in elevation came the heat again. It's easy for me to understand the name of the place because if you find yourself there without and exit strategy, death is exactly what's going to come next in the valley. Hard to describe the immensity of the place. Distance starts to lose perspective on the martian surface. Downhill for what seemed like forever before finally bottoming out in aptly named Furnace Creek. The long climb out was just as surreal as the rest of the place. Now southbound for 2 1/2 more hours towards the Mojave Desert with not a tree or anything for that matter taller than about 3 feet. The beauty of this entire trip, there are many but from a motorcycling point of view, the beauty is that everyone else in the country uses interstates....leaving all these thousands of miles of near perfect pavement for 2 wheelers. There has been more than one moment on this southbound (ish) zig zag across the far western states that I thought I might have missed something....like I was the only one left. I pulled into Joshua Tree in search of a beer, another great day in the books.

Just a short jaunt to the border town of Calexico today. Crossing for San Felipe in the morning.

Attached Files:

Mediocre Man likes this.
  4. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    Looking good.