And here comes Erik Buell into the ring! Fuell!

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by nevada72, Mar 4, 2019.

1. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    With some unorthodox engineering, a big motor-wheel can be made as light as a regular wheel. Maybe the rim serves as a part of the motor... would be very Buell-ish to pull off something so wonderfully bizarre.

35kW = 47HP, nothing to sneeze at. If it rides well and is not too expensive, I'd get it for the city riding. The price $11000 is given only for 11KW=15 HP version, may be enough too, depending on the torque and weight. When I am not riding my 160 HP Ducati, I am thoroughly enjoying my wife's 5HP Aprilia scooter...
  2. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the articles mentioned that the hub mounted motor allows for significant storage space within the “body”. Even if it doesn’t look like a scooter, it may have similar storage.
    Vrode likes this.
  3. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Erik has apparently been doing research on electric bikes at least since Buell was part of HD. EBR completed electric and hybrid designs for Hero during the EBR/Hero alliance. He likely brings a lot of corporate knowledge to the project.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  4. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    No doubt. But how do they solve the problem of unsprung weight?
  5. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the consensus is it’s not a big concern for an urban commuter bike. After all, a lot of scooters have the engine and transmission basically mounted directly to the wheel.
    shinyribs likes this.
  6. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Which ones? I know some have the engine mounted to the base of the swingarm, and belts going to the wheel...
    sieg likes this.
  7. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old school Vespas and I’d guess the myriad of knock-offs had the wheel mounted directly to the engine/transmission unit which pivoted at the other end. This shows the arrangement fairly well: [​IMG]
    shinyribs, MJSfoto1956 and liberpolly like this.
  8. Lake_Bueller

Lake_Bueller Own ALL the Corners

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to like it. But to me, it just looks like another "naked" bike (ala XB models). I've been a Buell fanboy since I bought my first one in the mid-90's. But this isn't speaking to me.
  9. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    For the Erik-haters: it appears that people who work with Erik believe in him. Dan Hurda was one of the key engineers at Buell that Erik recruited from the MoCo mothership. Dan followed Erik to EBR, and is now working for him again at Fuel.
    996DL likes this.
  10. more koolaid

more koolaid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The perimeter brake sold me on Erik's engineering acumen.
    download.jpg
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  11. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would imagine there is no need for dual rotors with that setup.

M
  12. more koolaid

more koolaid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheaper, lighter, more effective, that's a engineer!
  13. tokyo

tokyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I built a hub motor e-bike that was really fun around town. I blew out the motor trying to climb hills so have converted it to a mid mount now, but before that it was fun on mostly flat surfaces. Could even run it without a chain since it had throttle control. Very very quiet.

For tooling around town I think a hub motor would be fine and offers some benefits. No belt or chain to maintain and as mentioned packaging space freed up in the body for storage or more batteries.

It isn't very pretty though.. but Buell motorcycles grew on me over time so maybe this will too?
  14. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    The Fuell is not totally attractive, not totally ugly. At least it doesn't look like this hideous weird electric from Johammer:
    Johammer_Action_Freilandstr_3.jpg.860x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg
    I mean, yeah it has a cool front suspension, and it might have lots of torque, but even a hot blonde in leather cannot make this thing any less fugly. Weird to say the least. Let's take a new still developing motorcycle market that has limited appeal to begin with, and then make it look bug like and strange and wonder why it won't sell?
  15. RockyMtnRoadRash

RockyMtnRoadRash Useful and decorative

Oddometer:
    Honest question: Is an electric motor going to be a lot heavier than big mofo steel chain and sprocket or do those only partly count for unsprung weight when one end is fixed and the other is suspended. I don't have a good frame of reference but the electric motors I've dealt with (much much wimpier than the fuell) didn't seem crazy heavy.
  16. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    I think that’s where the Fuell’s innovation may be - ultralight motor. Otherwise, yes, they get quite heavy.