And now something completely different... Eliminator 125

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by dbarale, Nov 13, 2014.

1. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    First off, if you liked Jerry's Katuki build thread, proper engineering, and precision machining you will not like this one. This will be a tale of JB Weld, stick welding, and rattle can painting.

So this started about six months ago around a campfire. Alcohol was involved... We are a group of five guys who meet every summer for a short motorcycle camping trip. This year we realized we were riding too fast for our age. So for next year we decided that we would be doing the trip on small bikes, 125cc or below. And to add a challenge we decided to set a $ limit. We came up with:
    125ccx5 guys=$600.
    Did I mention alcohol was involved? This is for a road-worthy, street legal bike. :huh

So I started looking on Craigslist and found a 2001 Eliminator 125 theft recovery for $150. The ad was: 2001 Kawasaki Eliminator 125, this bike has been wrecked, it is missing the seat, and the gas tank. It has a good engine and can be brought back to life or just parted out. I have NO TITLE on this bike asking $150

Considering the bike is a turd when new this sounded promising. The pictures were even more enticing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, being a complete idiot, I bought the bike for $100 and brought it back home...
  2. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer

Oddometer:
    subscribed!

:rofl
  3. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Loading and unloading the bike on the trailer was challenging because the rear wheel was completely locked up, partially due to the fact that it is "slightly" bent. :evil

[​IMG]

No big deal in this case. See, the factory rear wheel is a 15" rim (17" front). Which makes tire selection VERY limited. I also plan on this bike being gravel-capable when done so it will probably get Shinko 244 tires. So the plan is to find a rear 17" with drum brake to match the front. I am thinking early 80's XR200, or KLR250. But I am open to suggestions or donations. :evil

Anyway, I cut the chain, disconnected the rear brake, and loosened the rear axle. So I can now move the bike around unassisted.

Next step was to check out the electrical system. I started with the ignition switch. I was afraid that the thieves would have tried to hard-wire it and fried the CDI. But the wires were not cut, I found out that I could jut use a screwdriver to turn it and that the connection were still good. :freaky

So I hooked up a charged battery and pushed the magic button.... Nothing.
    After a little troubleshooting and by-passing the clutch switch it came to life. All (present) lights work and the starter spins, there is even a spark at the plug. :clap I plan on simplifying the wiring later on and getting rid of all safeties because I like living on the edge. But that will be for later.

So next step was to try putting the carburetor that came in a large ziplock bag, back together. Turns out all the bits are there, mostly. Whoever disassembled the carb managed to destroy the needle jet in the process. I looked everywhere online and found out that this jet is proprietary to this carb, a Mikuni BS28. So it's $30. :huh Dammit! I ordered it because I need it but it's 30% of the original cost of the bike. Not happy with this. :cry

I took out my frustration on the emissions system. It has some goofy cold air induction crap that I gutted out and plugged it with a random bolt.

[​IMG]

After that I drained the oil and refilled it. I also bent the handlebars back to somewhat straight and re-attached all the controls. I will probably replace the bars but this will do for testing purposes. I got rid of the turn signals and factory headlight, removed the gigantic (and dented) muffler, and removed the busted speedometer. Looks cleaner already.

[​IMG]

The short term goal is to put the carb back together when I get the jet, check the valve clearance, and try to get it running. Once I get past that point I will address the title issue...
  4. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Last post of the day, the long term goal.

So the bike is tiny and I'm average at 6'0/200#
    Here's a stock pic of a shorter guy riding one:

[​IMG]

So, yeah, that won't work...

The frame is also a very "interesting" design, including a 34 degree rake angle (!).

[​IMG]

In the end I would like to get a dirt tracker-ish kinda look. Cue mad photoshop skillz!

[​IMG]

Kinda like the above but a lot taller...

So, here's the plan:
    - get it running
    - get it registered in VT
    - 17" rear wheel
    - 13" rear shocks (11" stock)
    - cut/weld frame to raise the seat a good bit, hopefully find a cheap tracker pan.
    - find some kind of tank and mount it
    - relocate the foot controls
    - fork brace if I feel motivated
    - dual sport tires
    - stay under $600...
  5. ValuePack

ValuePack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in, this is awesome!
  6. AllBlak

AllBlak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice,
    Be sure to reconnect the brake lines before you take it for a spin.

I have no idea how they are levitating like that.
  7. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    New technology that I'm developing: wireless brakes! I'm gonna be rich!
  8. AllBlak

AllBlak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check your patent with Shimano,
    They have electronic wireless shifters...

Looking forward to the thread
  9. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    There goes my retirement plan, I guess it's back to playing the lottery...

Not much to report. The carb had a spa day, with a long soak in the jacuzzi (ultrasonic cleaner) followed by a thorough blow job (compressed air). I then mostly re-assembled it, still waiting on the needle jet and float bowl gasket.

I also checked the valves. As expected intake inside was in the middle of the range and exhaust was just a bit tight. I adjusted the exhaust but left the other one alone, good enough. the entire job took about 15mn, most of it being spent on looking for my feeler gauges.
  10. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Update:

I received the needle jet on Friday so I put the carb back together. Seemed OK... On Saturday I was able to find a couple of hours so I figured I would try to start it. I rigged an air filter skillfully crafted from some fiberglass screen and an old cotton sock. I gave myself extra points for taking the time to find a black sock. :D

[​IMG]

I hooked up a battery that I had sitting on the bench from... something. Can't remember, I'm old. Turns out it fits really nicely in between the brackets for the swingarm axle housing. I think I will keep it there since it's low and out of the way:

[​IMG]

A gratuitous shot of the rear wheel. I think that, with a good spoke adjustment, it may be re-usable. :eek1

[​IMG]

Finally I borrowed the tank from my son's PW50. He doesn't really need it anyway as he just turned one and has only been walking for a couple months. Now, if you're wondering why a one year old needs a PW50? Well maybe you're on the wrong forum, may I suggest basketweaving.com or maybe Pinterest? :deal

[​IMG]

I also shoved the muffler onto the pipe so I wouldn't piss off the neighbors.

And.......

It started! :freaky

Took a little gas and it doesn't like to rev up. Well, it revs up once all the way then dies if you try to rev it up again. But there might be some vacuum leaks to track down and the jetting is very likely off with that fancy air filter. No leaks from the float bowl though, so a good day! :clap

Total cost so far $135.
  11. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Roadracer_Al likes this.
  12. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quality build !
    I fully understand having a PW for your son to grow into. I negociated for a JR50 for mine as soon as I saw his dinky in the ultrasound image.
  13. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    Try running it without the filter first. Your jetting will be closer than if it's suffocating.
    Good job and good photos. Enjoyable build.
  14. Kt-88

Kt-88 I like everything.

Oddometer:
    Twelve months old= old enough for a z50r. You're entirely correct, in my book. [​IMG]
    He's trying to convince me to go for purple grips here. It worked.
  15. Kt-88

Kt-88 I like everything.

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  16. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Cute kid. And as for the purple grips, whatever he wants as long as he enjoys it...
  17. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Another small update.

I wanted to check the ride height, sag, etc. But with the wheel that was on the bike it was impossible...

So I looked around the garage and found that the front wheel from my DR350 Supermoto is about the size I want to put back there and has the correct axle size. It also looks great! ...or something.

[​IMG]

The tire is a 110/70/17. I'm planning on a 4.10x17 which should be about the same width but quite a bit taller. Regardless, it's gonna be narrow. A lot narrower than the ridiculous tire that was on there.

[​IMG]

Fun fact, the spacer on the left side was cut from a piece of 16ga....shotgun barrel that was laying on the bench. I might be a redneck.

I then tried to measure the static sag with my ass on the bike, sitting about where the seat would be: about 1/4", max! :huh
    I guess that explains the ridiculous rear tire, that's where the rear suspension is. Considering that I weigh about 200lbs and that the target market for that bike is originally females and shorter guys, I can only imagine how bouncy the thing must be...
  18. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    I removed the shocks and swapped them out for some adjustable ones that have two settings: 12 and 13". But I'm afraid they might be a little over sprung for that bike. :evil

[​IMG]

The picture shows them in the 13" position. While I like the stance I'm afraid that the chain would be rubbing on the swingarm too much at that height. So I'm looking for some 12-12.5" inch shocks. Probably will end up with something from a Harley as they are plentiful and dirt cheap on Ebay.

At the 12" position, and with the fork tubes pushed down into the triples about 10mm from stock the rake angle dropped 2 degrees at bout 32. Still a lot but better.

[​IMG]

That's about it for today. I cleaned up one of the shocks a bit and took a picture. I will post them in the flea market, hoping that someone will swap me for some longer ones.

[​IMG]

So now I'm stuck until I get a tank and/or a seat. I have been looking at Craigslist everyday but not much has popped up so far. I need to be patient but I'm not really good at that.
  19. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Anyone has any ideas for a 17" rear wheel with drum brake?
    I know of the KLR250 and early XR200, any others? Don't care if it's spokes of cast as long as it's fairly narrow (1.85" to 2.75")... :ear
  20. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    maybe one of the play bikes?

ttr125l has a 16" rear with drum. You could find tires for that.