And then I ruined a really good bike.

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Wildebeest90210, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This one made a magazine I get. Currently 8 bids £50 4 days left, get bidding! If it still had the red banana seat I'd buy it in a flash

Some of the pictures were taken on Sunday 14th June, I was having a last ride out on it with my Son, it really does go like a rocket! 150 mph if you can hang on! It sounds fantastic with the race cans, a lovely growl!

IMG_2866.JPG

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg
  2. snarlyjohn

snarlyjohn Human money repellant

Oddometer:
    Tasteful.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Nah...
    JagLite and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  4. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll say it again some people shouldn't be allowed to own tools.
  5. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    :y0!

Guilty!

It turns out I only have action photos of this abomination. I guess it never occurred to me to take some artsy photos of my "custom".
    [​IMG]
    I never did manage to make a run to the pipe wrap store:fpalm

Will mud hide my shame?
    [​IMG]

Apparently not.
    [​IMG]

Well it was pre-ruined when I got it, so I made it worser.
    [​IMG]

It's probably even more shameful that I pawned this abortion off on some poor guy for a reasonable profit*.

*we aren't counting labor** here.

**it would be extra indefensible to expect payment after what I did to that poor bike.
  6. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    JagLite likes this.
  7. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Franque, Scoozi and JagLite like this.
  8. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

I don't think it even has any kind of rear suspension. Do you see a shock or spring hidden somewhere? Maybe it's an art project. The green is a nice shade.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  9. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thread reminds me of an old Chapelle Show sketch. The Play Haters' Ball.
  10. snarlyjohn

Oddometer:
    Nice hydroformed pipes, nicely finished frame. But just looking at the distance from seat to pegs is giving me cramps...
    SmittyBlackstone and JagLite like this.
  11. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a Buell-like "pushmi-pullyu" shock under the frame, between the pipes.

[​IMG]
    SmittyBlackstone and JagLite like this.
  12. olderigetfasteriam

olderigetfasteriam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not hate that.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  13. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree. I do get why people think it's hipsterish and affected, but I have to say I've seen a thousand more offensive creations.
  14. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    That bike deserves no hate. A lot of talent and thought went into it. It's just getting the old guy purist hate. I'd love to see the people hating on it actually attempt to build anything close to it.
    Not many people in this thread know what it means to have a creative thought. They're too opinionated and tend to think the only way a bike should be is the way the manufacturer and original engineers intended it.
    It's bikes like these that inspire the younger crowd to buy and maintain older bikes and keep parts in circulation.

The motorcycle industry absolutely depends on custom creations to produce models that people want to buy. Yeah, some are better than others. That's how literally everything works.
  15. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I think you have missed the point of the criticisms. That thing was a classic bike, it is now an art piece. It would actually ride worse than the original bike that was destroyed to create it.

We are all for modifying bikes for the better, but destroying a classic to make something that is barely rideable but looks "interesting" deserves the hate it gets.

And that is the point of this thread, cool old bike, attacked with a grinder, brown grips and skateboard seat, and a set of knobbies on a road bike, then we make fun of it. If you can't grasp that then there is many more threads you can look at and leave us to make fun of hipsters destroying old bikes we would love to ride.:D

Thanks.
  16. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you missed the point as well. It's someone's creation that will inspire further generations to invest in vintage bikes and keep our passion viable. This bike, in particular, took a massive amount of talent and if you actually paid attention to the build, it improved the bike in every way. Modern forks, rear suspension and disc brakes...or were you too focused on the seating arrangement and tires (which btw are still a modern compound that is far superior to the original but not what I'd personally choose)? Do you think those things just bolt on?
    You're a good builder when you can discern talent from hobbyist. This bike is talent and not a rando with an angle grinder.
    Also, let me note that being in my age range, these bikes attacked by a hipster with angle grinders are much more ridden than most the folks in here. I realize that's anecdotal to Atlanta being a pretty big hot spot for the young rider scene, though.
    This whole thread is nothing more than what I said. "The bike should remain the way it was intended because that's how I like it."
    Stasher1 and Redbird like this.
  17. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Well I like it, it looks good, and has some nice craftsmanship and cool techo stuff. But it falls into the not made to ride at all, and the dirt tyres on a cafe bike trend. Just imagine what he could do if he made a bike to ride...one that fits the rider and handles like a racer. That he built it for looks shows which side of motorcycling he's on.
  18. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love when people say "just imagine if they made a bike to ride and not to just look good." Y'all should try restoring Ducatis from the 60s. Works of art with shit build quality. :imaposer
    Redbird and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  19. snarlyjohn

Oddometer:
    I like it too, but I think we have to keep in mind that the people that build these bikes have a completely different set of goals and criteria to most of us here.

The creator of the green Yamaha set out to create a bike that was cool (subjective of course), looked good, was unusual in a number of ways and was well made and well finished. You'd have to agree that he met his goals - and the ideals of others like him - and the bike is a success.

Many of us here - and I'd have to include myself - build bikes to be ridden, win races, set records. We tend to work on performance and rideability and let the appearance look after itself. By our own standards we may succeed but then the new cafe crowd would probably be disinterested - once again it's just different standards.

So I don't think it's fair to say green Yam man ruined a good bike - he achieved what he set out to do and did a good job. It's not my idea of a great bike but the point is he wasn't building it for people like me.

The ones we should be picking on are the ones attempting to build to their own ideals and still failing miserably - god knows there are plenty of them.
  20. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @blaine.hale

I think that your problem is that aesthetics are more important to you (I might go as far as to say an obsession for you from what I've seen) than the function, even if the function is brilliant cf. your thoughts on the König 500.

It doesn't matter if it got 2nd place overall in the '73 500 GP season, and was raced by the man who built it, who also probably would have won had he not perished.

It also doesn't matter to you that he adapted a boat motor the motorcycle of his design, it "looks dumb" therefore it's not good/interesting to you.

Newsflash, this is a thread about making fun of aesthetics, if you don't like it, perhaps it's not a thread for you.

In the case of this thread, we're mostly making fun of the pursuit of aesthetics at the cost of function.

For the bike in question, I think the Suzuki (?) tank looks stupid, and I absolutely abhor bikes that are clearly made with the intention of 'look at how creative I am, I threw out all conventions of logic, etc.'

Deus Ex is an example of that, you could literally list all of their stuff on this page, where the stuff they make is an obvious cry for attention and oh-so-achingly 'cool'.

If you like it, great, I won't try to stop you, but you need to stop criticizing aesthetics of stuff you don't like, if you'll get bent out of shape for criticism of things you like, that we, the peanut gallery here, don't generally like.

Pages 1-3 show his 'progressive' views on the König: https://advrider.com/f/threads/pictures-of-motorbikes-with-a-boxer-engine-but-not-bmws.1441810/
    Richarde1605 likes this.