1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Andreani Cartridges Facts, Reviews, Install, and Comparison

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by cgguy09, Jan 21, 2019.

1. raduklr

raduklr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got an answer (and an apology) from Diego @ Andreani, the instructions were indeed incorrect.
    The aluminum tube is actually just a spacer, whereas the valving and all the good stuff is hidden in the black tube. Both valving and spring sit in the oil bath with this configuration. It's the first time I see this (but I'm no expert).

I'll continue to document the installation, I'll try to make a video as well.

Cheers!
    Radu
    cgguy09 likes this.
  2. raduklr

raduklr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, they're not my original springs, they are the Andreani supplied ones. And yes, the spring diameter is bigger than on your kit (there's a big gap with the black cartridge). In fact the 2 kits are completely different. The only common thing is the fork cap.

Yes, I noticed the silver spacers do have holes top or bottom, depending on whether they're the rebound or damping, but the same holes are also placed on the black cartridges that contain all the valving.

And BTW, I used the pictures of your kit to do the collage with my pictures, I hope you're ok with that ;-)

BygDaddee and cgguy09 like this.
  3. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    So wrong springs then?
  4. raduklr

raduklr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think so, they need to be larger in order to fit over the cartridge.
  5. Sjones423

Sjones423 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm taking mine to a local suspension workshop, the guy has experience working with British Superbikes and really knows his stuff. He's also an approved Andreani installer, coincidentally. 3 week turn around though, so watch this space!
    cgguy09 likes this.
  6. raduklr

raduklr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to finalize the install today, taking longer than expected as I'm also changing the seals and bushings. Without a seal tool...
    Also got this picture as installation procedure from Andreani, and the mention of the 90mm air gap being measured WITH the spring and spacer installed (this is different than the original BMW manual instructions).

ALLEGATO CART. CON MOLLA SOTTO.jpeg
    cgguy09 likes this.
  7. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Wow! If that’s the picture they are sending you, you were right the install pics aren’t helpful.

I’m curious how much is actually different now between the off-road and road models... because the setup looks switched.
    lexaria likes this.
  8. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
  9. cgguy09

Oddometer:
  10. raduklr

raduklr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I know it's wierd, but you will notice they don't bother putting the real pictures of the real kits, almost all kits on their website have the same image re-used ("for illustration purposes").
    Also, I see no reason why it wouldn't work, the valving is still in the oil bath, it's just the springs that are also in the oil.

I wasn't able to intall the kit yet, as the Pyramid seal and bushing kit I purchased is garbage (the bushing OD is slightly too big, won't fit into the fork). Waiting for replacement bushings, and will continue the install, in the configuration as instructed by Andreani.

Radu
    BygDaddee and cgguy09 like this.
  11. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Fork seals are scary things. It sucks you're having issues, but it's better to deal with then in your garage than on the trail!!!! (Ask me how I know!):muutt

I just reached out to the suspension expert at Motowheels (Stephano). He was both a big proponent and experienced in installing these girls. As soon as he get's back with me, I'll report back...and I'll forward my email directly to you @raduklr

-Good luck
    raduklr likes this.
  12. raduklr

raduklr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One thing I did notice, is that the external preload (17mm) screw doesn't change height as you turn it (ie, you can't tell the amount of preload by looking at the number of lines left on the screw). You have to count the turns, just like on the damping adjuster (3mm allen).
    Also, neither of the 2 has "clicks". 20190218_141733.jpg
    cgguy09 likes this.
  13. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    I received a response from Stephano, he stated that he was going to follow up with Andreani directly concerning "insufficient directions."

More importantly, He stated that "As for the spring location goes, all the ones we have sold for the sport bikes do have them at the bottom of the kit."

Here is the full email for context:

"Hello Colin,

Thanks for the explanation of the situation in regards to the cartridge kit. As for the spring location goes, all the ones we have sold for the sport bikes do have them at the bottom of the kit. BMW may well be a different story. I have contacted them mand will have an answer for you as soon as I get a response back from them. I'll keep you posted.

Have a great day now.

Best regards, Stephano"
  14. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Excepts from Second email:
    "(People are confused) perhaps due to the fact that some bikes use the springs at the bottom portion of the cartridge and some are using the reverse action as opposed to that.

The springs for each application can only be installed in one way as the diameter of the inner tube and fixing position of it will not allow the spring to be installed at the incorrect end. It is not like you can put the spring in either upper or lower position as desired.

I had sent another email about it to him shortly after receiving yours anyway. We’ll see how it will become."
    (emphasis added)

I think @raduklr has the setup right & Andreani switched order of the internals on the Misano cartridge for the Offroad model.
  15. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    google motorcycle fork cartridge, and look at the hundreds of photos, very unusual

If you ask me the terminology or language of a spacer that may be on top of the spring is being confused with the long tube.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  16. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Another wrinkle in the sheets...
    I was passed on an email from David Behrend, he's the U.S. POC my guy at Moto Wheels is using for Andreani Misano Cartridges.

He said the following:
    "Hello,
    I do not recognize the picture that you sent to me. I've sold thousands of AG Misano fork kits and none have the spring mounted on the bottom. "

the picture he is referring to is this one:

ALLEGATO CART. CON MOLLA SOTTO.jpeg.jpg

I find this confusing as Stephano (my guy at Motowheels) stated that all the forks he's installing on the sport bikes DO have their springs at the bottom.

I really trying to decide what all this means... I'll admit, it doesn't inspire confidence when the experts aren't on the same page. :dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno
    raduklr likes this.
  17. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that information. As far as the preload goes, most forks I've seen, the preload doesn't click. I know the Ohlins don't "click" for preload. For the FKA 105s, one complete turn equals 1mm of preload. I think the rebound/compression usually "click" and preload just spins.

Hope this helps.
    raduklr likes this.
  18. vfrpilot

vfrpilot Stress Relief Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Touratech cartridges, and the pre-load adjuster doesn’t click. Only the compression and rebound adjusters
    cgguy09 likes this.
  19. rcb78

rcb78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my Andreani kit from David at Fast Bike Industries (last fall) and it is the older kit, so maybe he hasn't seen the newer kit yet.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  20. raduklr

raduklr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, so after many install issues due to badly manufactured slide bushings (both Pyramid and JMP are absolut crap, won't pressfit easily into the stanchions and once in, they scrape the tubes; the BMW ones fit like gloves ;-)), I finally managed to install the Andreani offroad kit, it took a few hours, but I think the second time it could be a 1 hour affair. It kinda needs 2 specialty tools, but you can do without.
    I took lots of pictures, and plan on doing a report on it. The short story is, it's not too hard, but you can mess it up if not careful :-) Some basic inner suspension knowledge can be very helpful.
    I set it up to half the range between full soft and full hard (as instructed by the manual) and took a quick ride on some potholed road, and my first fear has vanished, they are very confortable, no harshness whatsoever (my wrists are thanking me). Huge difference between full soft and full hard. A little bouncy but I think I have too much preload (front doesn't drop much when I sit on it).

I will try more tuning this weekend, and hopefully some dirt tracks.

20190320_130118.jpg
    Sjones423, todd900ss and cgguy09 like this.