Andreani Cartridges Facts, Reviews, Install, and Comparison

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by cgguy09, Jan 21, 2019.

1. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My box says 90mm and was set with no springs for the 09 off road version.
  2. BigBrian

BigBrian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now i've heard no springs, just springs and springs & spacer.

Need a straight answer from Andreani
  3. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The instructions say add oil and then the next step is install springs. Seems straight forward to me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. BigBrian

Oddometer:
    Those are the same vague instructions I have. I don't trust them especially since they aren't even installing the same style cartridge as what I have.

Do your cartridges install with the spring at the bottom?
  5. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, springs on the bottom. Think about the top spacer as being extra long and places spring at bottom. I think they may have done that in effort to keep some weight lower maybe? Not sure about that, just something I thought about when looking over the design.

The instructions do suck. I've written a lot of technical documents in my days, I can see where they probably just didn't update the pics but the process stays the same. At least that's how I interpreted it.
  6. BigBrian

Oddometer:
    And your setup rides pretty plush?
  7. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel like it's much improved, still needs some fine tuning. It was worse at first, after sag set, but with some small adjustments on R/C it was getting much better..

I have put bike up for now for other reasons and it may be awhile before I can complete the fine tuning.
  8. BigBrian

Oddometer:
    I'll play with the front suspension today and see if I can get it dialed in.
  9. BigBrian

Oddometer:
    Called FastBike Industries, they confirmed the 90mm air gap using 5wt oil & only springs installed.

Here's where I'm starting from today. I will re-install everything and try again. 20200309_085313.jpg
    cgguy09 likes this.
  10. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    I remember there being some discussion as to whether the springs were actually meant to be installed at the bottom. Whereas most (all?) springs are to be installed at the top.

Did you confirm this atypical install technique?

(Sorry if this is beating a dead horse... I just remember being confused as hell about this when doing my initial research... and, I’ve been wanting to chime as I follow your post.)

We’re all rooting for your success! Best of luck today!
  11. BigBrian

Oddometer:
    Springs are definitely installed on the bottom on this setup.

I rebuilt everything and bled the ever loving crap out of the cartridges before buttoning everything up.

Took the bike out for a spin and it is a definite improvement. I will have to fine tune the setup but it all appears to be working.

Went 100mi this morning to test out my front tire (I went tubeless 3m 5200 goo & 3m 4211N tape). I can't tell if I have a VERY SLOW leak or not (I'm talking 1/2lb of air loss in over 100mi). Either way I don't think it will be a concern.
    No-Fret, ROMAD and cgguy09 like this.
  12. xDownSetx

xDownSetx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just received my kit today and the same picture was printed out and included inside the box with the manual.

20200506_095804sm.jpg
    cgguy09 likes this.
  13. xDownSetx

xDownSetx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To follow up, god damn are these instructions insufficient. Andreani needs to open up Microsoft Word and spend an hour making something specifically for this kit.

For future buyers, disregard the final step of turning the damper adjusters in four turns before installing the cap on the damping rod. A likely scenario is the damping needle getting stuck fully closed. Luckily I was able to free the rebound needle by lightly sliding the inner shaft into it like a slide hammer a few times. The needle had no marks, so I doubt any damage was done.

With most cartridges you have a nut you bring up to the cap and then tighten it. The nut on this kit's damping rod is tightened in place. I though my cap had bottomed out on the nut, so I didn't think anything of it. But apparently it was just close enough that the final tightening was able to jam the needle. I did the same procedure with the compression leg and it was fine though...

No one else here has had this issue so I'm sure I'm the dumbass exception. But I figure the information should be out there with that bold final paragraph.

i_view64_uEGR2AX5aE.png firefox_6GvlOl8mSn.png
  14. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    I just watched my local mechanic install mine an hour ago. He said the same thing about instructions. Multimillion dollar company should be able to create some good instructions.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  15. Guiguite_FR

Guiguite_FR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys. After much research I decided to go for the andreani cartridges for my F800GS 2011.

So to be on the safe side I emailled them to be absolutly sure which reference to order and I got a rather weird answer, which made me super confused - see below the email exchange .

I was planning to order the Model number 105/W17 (08-12)

https://www.andreanigroup.com/shop/motorcycle/105|W17E/?BMW+F800+GS+standard+version+-+EVO+-+

Am i missing something or this sales person simply doesn t know its own product range ?

**** me
    Dear Andreani team.
    I am looking for information about your fork cartriges for my 2011 F800GS.
    Which product from your catalogue would best fit offroad use ?
    Also , which rear shock would you suggest to match with this cartridge ?
    Best regards

**** Sales person
    Hello
    Our Misano fork kit is dedicated to road use.
    For off-road use we recommend the Ohlins FKA 105 kit.
    At the rear we recommend the Ohlins BM 303 shock.
    regards

*** Me
    Hello,
    Thanks for your answer.
    Just so you know, the Ohlin product you recommend is for the WP fork installed on 2012+ models.
    Best

**** Sales person (not even making a sentence :-D )
    FKA 101 F 800 GS 2008-12 cartuccia NIX30 € 1.158,00+tax F 910 molle escluse (08767-50 / 55 / 60)
  16. Guiguite_FR

Guiguite_FR Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. hellyhans

hellyhans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't see this mentioned in the thread, but I remember reading that the cartridges lower the front travel.. Is this still true?

Never mind :

• Model number 105/W04 (08-12) Street oriented (1.5 less travel)
    • Model number 105/W05 (13-18) Street oriented (1.5 less travel)
    • Model number 105/W17 (08-12) Off-road oriented (same travel as stock
    • Model number 105/W18 (13-18) Off-road oriented (same travel as stock)
    cgguy09 likes this.
  18. MyzTied

MyzTied We need more cow bell Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just adding my .02. First off thanks BigBrian for the phone help:beer. I installed the Andreani cartridges off road kit. Super easy. The instructions that come with the kit SUCK! :baldy They were not for what I ordered. They were generic crap:flush. That said the product is great. Really easy once I read everything here about how to install them. Big thanks to all who posted "how to's". Again I installed the off road kit and with the spring on the bottom it makes it so easy to change the cartridge.
    Cheers:jkam
    BigBrian likes this.
  19. BigBrian

Oddometer:
    Really glad you were able to get everything together.

Those instructions really are garbage.
  20. elnonio

elnonio shedding n00bness

Oddometer:
    I just installed the Andreani on my 690 Duke. Instructions are garbage, depict MX forks and not the provided spring on top cartridges.

The feedback received from Fastbikes was conflicting too: one email said "As far as installation goes, the oil level is also the air gap - so the distance from the top of the oil to the top of the outer tube. This measurement is with the fork collapsed and usually without the spring (the instructions will say) but if you do have more questions or comments then you are welcome to give us a call and I can get you with (owner) or (service manager) and they can help you out."

I called, and was told of course you have to take the springs off, else you can't set the right torque on the internals and the whole setup will come apart riding. I'm also told about a separate set of instructions that it seems I didn't receive (and still don't have, two days later....)

But then I get this email:

"NO CHANGES need to be made to the cartridges, we did the lowering work here so all you need to do is drop them in and follow the Misano cartridge instructions. You do not need to remove or disassemble the cartridge at all.
    I
    want to assume you were talking about the stock internals, which of course need to be removed in order to have room to fit the brand new fully-adjustable Andreani carts inside the stock outer fork tubes.
    "

Unless we're having a nomenclature issue, not sure how I could measure the oil gap with the springs out WITHOUT any removal or disassembly, yet these are a straight "drop in" process.

If I installed them wrong, well, don't know what to say other than the bike feels better than stock! upload_2020-7-14_13-33-11.gif If the forks disintegrate on the road, guess you'll never know as I'll be toast...

Rather regret not sending them in for installation, frankly, thought clearly this is not a terribly complicated affair PROVIDED clear instructions are given.