Andreani Cartridges Facts, Reviews, Install, and Comparison

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by cgguy09, Jan 21, 2019.

1. MyzTied

MyzTied We need more cow bell Supporter

Oddometer:
    Upon installing the Andreani cartridges my bike front feels to sit higher. Did anyone else notice this? BTW I do have the factory lowered bike, and I don't know if this is has anything to do with it. Also I installed the Off-Road kit
    Thanks
  2. SuhoMeso

SuhoMeso Two wheels

Oddometer:
    Looking at getting the offroad kit for my 2014 BMW F800gs with WP forks. I contacted Motowheels to ask which fork oil to buy and use with the kit and they had no clue. This seems very odd to me, and a little concerning. I've tried calling other places to ask advice, but they're not familiar with Andreani.

Input? Leaning away from Andreani at this point if they can't provide this kind of information.
  3. BigBrian

BigBrian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Call Fastbike industries and ask to speak with David.
    No-Fret, SuhoMeso and MyzTied like this.
  4. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Andreani recomend Ohlins 19cst oil, obviously you could use any good quality equivalant.

SuhoMeso and cgguy09 like this.
  5. SuhoMeso

SuhoMeso Two wheels

Oddometer:
    Thanks! How many liters do I need?

PS. I tried calling Dave at Fast Bike, but he was out for the day. Will try again tomorrow. Would you recommend buying from them over Motowheels?
  6. BigBrian

BigBrian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would, they were way more helpful.

I think I used 1L of fork oil but I know I bought 2 just in case.
  7. MyzTied

MyzTied We need more cow bell Supporter

Oddometer:
    Motowheels gets them through Fast Bike. Fast Bike can help you technically also.
    SuhoMeso likes this.
  8. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I fitted Andreani kit into my R9T and prior research showed that those in the know found the recommended ohlins oil that was 19cts@40c way too heavy for the compression leg. I did mine with Castrol5 which is 15cts and still rode with full zero adjust on the compression leg. I will do the oil soon and will use Bel Ray 2.5 which is 9.3cts. Other suggestions offered are to have bigger than recommended air gap, 140 to 150mm seems common. Another tip was when assembling the compression adjustor to the damping rod set the adjust screw to a 6 turn range so as to allow a bigger range of adjustment allowing to flow more fluid hence reduce the compression damping more so than the "standard" adjustment range allows.:*sip*
    cgguy09 likes this.
  9. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re my post above, i have just carried out the fork oil job on my Andreani equipped forks (R9T ugs), have done about 600klms , today being out a fast sweepy up and down country road (Putty rd. nsw) with less than special surface and the forks are now excellent, so happy with the changes carried out. Compliance with the surface was very good, no jarring, practised some high speed emergency type braking to see if they were bottoming out and they behaved in a stellar fashion.:wings P.S. just to clarify, this time around the oils were Bel Ray 2.5 (9.3 cts) in the compression leg and Castrol 5 (15 cts) in the rebound leg.
    No-Fret, SuhoMeso and cgguy09 like this.
  10. SuhoMeso

SuhoMeso Two wheels

Oddometer:
    I finally received my Andreani off-road kit for the 2014 F800gs and read through this again in preparation for installation. What I gathered is, springs go on the bottom, then spacer. Oil is filled and measured to 90mm gap with the springs in. Does that include the spacers on top of the springs as well? Or leave them out when setting oil height?
    cgguy09 likes this.
  11. R3zn1k

R3zn1k Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I measured without the spacer on top, since you are having a hard time measuring the air gap, otherwise.

2 useful hints:
    1. bleed the cartridge thoroughly, before measuring. I just did a half-ass job. And of course the fork was to soft. I had to take off the top cap again and when I measured again, I had an air gap of 130mm or so. So bleed the air out of the cartridge.

2. Don't care for the hint in the manual regarding the ominous "phase" of 4 turns, or however it is written. Screw the top cap onto the cartridge without any turns on the rebound and compression buttons. If you really turn both knops 4 turns in, you are risking jamming the needle in the bottom of the cartridge. You can turn the dials later! No need to do it beforehand.
      A couple pages ago an inmate made the same experience.

Greetings
    BygDaddee, SuhoMeso and cgguy09 like this.
  12. SuhoMeso

SuhoMeso Two wheels

Oddometer:
    Here we go.

20200920_143816.jpg
    cgguy09 likes this.
  13. SuhoMeso

SuhoMeso Two wheels

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing it doesn't matter which cartridge goes in which leg, left or right? No mention in the thread or instructions.
  14. SuhoMeso

SuhoMeso Two wheels

Oddometer:
    I put the rebound cartridge in the right leg to remember R/R during assembly.

Fork seals are now replaced with SKF seals. The OEM seals were also SKF. I highly recommend spending the $50 for the Motion Pro seal tool, it just made everything easier.

Even though this guy's forks are Marzocchi and mine are WP, the process in the video and order of parts are identical. The snap ring looks different, but that's it. I used a small super slim screwdriver to remove the ring. The design makes it necessary vs the Marzocchi. Do pay attention to the internal seal when you take it out, the direction on the WP looks different than you would think just putting it back in. I accidentally put one in backwards, and it let me know. It didn't want to seat all the way.

Next step is setting oil gap, and assemble the top caps.

20200920_164348.jpg
  15. SuhoMeso

SuhoMeso Two wheels

Oddometer:
    Oil fill and install went pretty smoothly. I ordered the Andreani tools from Fast Bike Industries that they insisted on, and I'd definitely recommend them. They send a 3rd tool, a flat wrench thing that I couldn't figure out. I don't think it was meant for my kit, have to contact them on Monday.

But these two were helpful- a grip/ extension rod for handling and bleeding, and a spring compressor that clicks into the holes on the spring spacer.

20200920_210748.jpg

The forks reinstalled. I was only able to ride around the block for a quick test tonight, but I can already feel a major improvement. No extreme fork dive when braking, and with heavier spring / preload it sits higher in the front where it should be. (I'm over 6ft tall and 200lbs)

Started off with the rebound and compression adjustment in the middle (2 full turns), and 3 turns of preload.

20200920_194518.jpg
    No-Fret, spencermarkd and cgguy09 like this.
  16. cgguy09

cgguy09 ScientiƦ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Awesome report!!!!!

First mention of the tools.