ANF Next Fest: Dec 3rd, 4th, 5th, & 6th!

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by KimPossible, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    Indeed! :nod
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  2. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
  3. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod
  5. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    My hideous report of the hellish, freakish, inclement and dastardly hijinks from ANF will have to wait til tonight. Working tail off as my last work day of '09 is this Tuesday :D

But i'll just cut to the chase and confirm what everybody else has said: ANF flat sucked. So badly.

6. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    Report? It was cold, it was wet, it was muddy, it rained all day. Tents leaked, toes got frostbit, the guy with the scooter was a dick. Wood got chopped, shot and burned and it was still cold. You couldn't be warm and dry at the same time. The only thing that was warm was Mug's beer. It took forever to get our food at the Family Coastal restaurant. Somebody thought Beyonce was hotter than Heather Graham. I lost Tony's gloves. The dessert in the MRE was Charms...

But you know me. I can't complain.
  7. ny-wolcott

ny-wolcott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Summer-N. Catskills,NY; Winter-Ocala NF, FL
    I still don't know who was there, can't remember real names vs. adv names.

In spite of the wet, cold, mud, wet, cold, mud, etc, (in retrospect) I had a ball. The tent sealer was a little much tho. And no, I would NOT go back for the $1,000! Some outrageous stories and laughs around the fire.:rofl
  8. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some did not have enough tent sealer....:rofl :rofl :lol3
  9. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    There was a quiet moment around the fire in the wee hours that a confession was made..... it alone was worth braving the third worst weather in the history of motorcycling.

There was a moment at lunch that someone became enlightened. that was worth the ride through impassable roads, in high gear, with one hand on my hip, watching Tom step the KLR out around every corner.

There was a moment while laying in my tent listening to the sound of wood being split, the crackle of a fire, and what may have been small arms fire... That too was worth having to listen to that dick weed gripe about the rain....

Ah... Who gives a shit. I had fun even if none of you other soggy, muddy, smelly, bastiges did....

Can I get a tick check?
  10. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  11. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only pics I took were of Kim riding around camp on Sat, and I have not gotten them out of the camera yet.

I was dreading the cold and the rain, but I never once considered not coming. The company was top notch, as usual. Kim and I had a great time.

I wasn't even bummed that my bike was broken, it was a good excuse to hang around camp and converse with good people.

I didn't want to skip out on Sat, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. Kim had good reasons for wanting to leave early, and it was not because of any of you guys or the weather. I am a one lucky SOB to have her, she is ready to go dirtbike camping again soon. :D
  12. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    Rolled out of Pcola Thursday morning with some whackos in tow. Garbled our way through dumbass US90 traffic in Milton before getting Mini a little Brick Road time. :deal Made our way to the EG reservation for a fast haul east on range roads. Stopped in to see some scrap metal.

[​IMG]

Made our way out the NE side of the res to Mossy Head for gas and a break. Met some 'local color' there-- this grizzled old Navy guy who could not form a sentence without 'fuck' used 5 times. Fuck!

Then some geezer tried to sell Inept a Harley. Tony told him it was a great dirtbike ("They're all dirtbikes, you know."), which confused this guy to no end and likely ended his productive day. I'll bet he's still there pondering

I added about 15 miles of ranch-road dirt to the route this year, and it was way fun. We dropped onto US90 a few miles west of the startpoint for the Middle Leg dirt section. Man that chit is fun.

About midway we need a bladder break. Tony wants to ride a river.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We haul stairstep-wise SE through some great country. Some stuff was freshly paved this year, but it's still mostly dirt. At the spirited pace that Tom loves, it's a total gas. :nod

We were mostly overcast all day-- towards the end of the Middle Leg the sun broke beautifully and we all felt our temps and smiles increase. Short-lived though-- it was about 4PM by then, and our sun-buddy was doing his thing heading away from us. By the time we reached Bristol for gas and the turn S for ANF, it was getting damned chilly. I'd been holding off switching the vest on but it finally became necessary. Ahhh that blissful golden-shower warmth :lol3

Did the ANF leg to camp with Brian disappearing at 60 in one innocent-seeming hole. Came out like a high-speed champ, though the dropping temps prolly made the last leg to camp chillier than he wanted

I lead us in to waiting pals and a fine firepit already in action. A little warmup, handshakes, and bottlecap removal and we move to quickly set up tents in the last light of the day.

Tom Connell shows up shortly after our arrival to much huzzah :clap

The moon comes up fat and bright over the first day's arrivals at Cliff Lake
    [​IMG]
  13. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    Friday ANF:

Waking up to: Fire. Hot water. Coffee. Heavy lids and morning jokers.

[​IMG]

Tom gives a guided tour of the most farkled KLR-GS in the history of history
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i need to ride with this Old Nocker more :nod

As anyone who's been to Cliff Lake knows, there is a shitload of old barbed wire strewn around the place-- prolly from the helicopter LZ being fenced off at some point. We find a long strand near the firewood pile and try to remove it-- JP gets his cutters and is trimming it down to the ground when a snag of wire pops back into his left eye, right into the eyeball.
    [​IMG]

Much blood, a grisly looking eyesocket, and concerns about tetanus get us all concerned and GPS's in action to find nearest aid (35 miles minimum). JP just cleans it, suffers on and his vision clears up. In 45 minutes he's good to go, albeit with one serious case of bloodshot eye. JP has his own ADV smilie now: :umph

The man's a friggin warrior :nod

About the time Tom starts thinking no one's going to ride, the posses gear up to head out on different tangents. Destination: Sumatra and lunch at the Coastal.

But not before these low-lifes show up
    [​IMG]

They set up camp while we head out on forest roads for grub. The fast group met the exploratory group just north of the turnoff for a quick run into Sumatra. The Family Coastal sure was a welcoming sight-- the smells coming from the back were heaven

Here's Buzz contemplating just eating his phone while Dick laughs at him for being such a raingauge

[​IMG]

Me and Tom's heads

[​IMG]

With bellies gnawing, Inept held us all captive with his rendition of the old Socratic gem, 'Dust...Wind...Dude'
    [​IMG]

Oscar's not so sure.... :lol3

As Mini said, the chow did take a while to hit the table, but when it did it was superb. :nod

Prior to the first round of AYCE scallops :bow i notice some water falling out of the sky outside. This starts a scramble to get gear off the bikes and onto the sweet porch.

[​IMG]

That meal was nice, and i had to hold back on asking for that third dish of scallops that i really wanted.

After lunch a gas/supply stop up the road
    [​IMG]

A delightful little bench swing :nod

After Buzz and Inept convince Tommy to run 87 octane in his new WRR, the plan gels to head back to camp and link up w/ Eloy and Bob. I think it was raining or something-- did'nt really notice.

[​IMG]

Shortly after getting back these guys roll up.
    [​IMG]
    Ask Eloy about his Crotch-ToggsTM :lol3

Bob's new 610 has the optional jet engine package
    [​IMG]
    along with about 300 headlight pods and some weird Swedish bong between the forks

Tom makes his executive decision to head back to Valdosta :bluduh as the rain comes down steadily.

We all huddled together and laughed our asses off, telling each other that we would round a corner soon with the weather
    [​IMG]

why, just look at all those grim faces. Don't ever want to do that again. :nah

Fuckin'-A bruddah
  14. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Yep, despite it being the third worst weekend in the history of weather, I had an absolutely amazing amount of fun. Thanks to JP hauling my gear (many thanks, mang!:clap) I was able to bring an extra sleeping bag and it probably saved my life. Got a wee bit chilly, especially Saturday night.

It was great seeing and riding with you FFs again and I'm looking forward to the next installment of the Strange and Terrible Saga. Those campfire confessionals, however, I'm not so sure about.:lol3

Mug's route over from P-cola (and back) was epic, 200+ miles of paved and unpaved backroads and jeep trails. Good times for sure! I was glad to see that campfire going when we rolled into camp--muchas gracias to Buzz for providing all that wood, without which the event would not have been a success. Buzz also kindly provided us with 65 gallons of water, which turned out to be more than enough. Thanks, Buzz!:bow

Eloy, PK, Kim, and Bob knocked it outta the park with their mad cooking skilz. Eloy's "DumpCake" is sho' 'nuff fit to eat!:tb Thanks to all who brought food and those who cooked it; I brought MREs/Ramen noodles/Powerbars thinking this wasn't gonna be a Food Event. Boy was I ever wrong.

Eloy took us out in the woods on Saturday for the gnarliest, muddiest ride I've ever been on in my life! And that's saying something, seeing as how I've ridden out to Escribano Point a time or two. We all survived, and once again I found myself VERY happy to see that roaring bonfire going back in camp.

One of the many highlights of the trip was riding with Tom and Dick, you fellas are truly an inspiration to me! Much respect.:devildogI hope I get to ride with y'all again soon.

And for anybody that hasn't eaten at the Coastal Family Restaurant in Sumatra, it's quite simply some of the best seafood on the planet. At prices that make even a KLR rider smile...

And Mini, I'm not taking anything away from Heather Graham, but Beyonce's all-natural, amigo. Just sayin'. And I'm standing by my assertion that Liz Hurley is without a doubt the hottest Austin Powers Girl. You can't talk me out of it.:deal

Enjoyed it, fellas. Let's do it again! HARUMPH!

Anybody need a shot of Cap'n?:D

Dust. Wind. DUDE.
  15. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    Friday evening, ANF:

With the Touratech raingauge (page 1321) holding about 15 feet of water, we gradually got our minds around not just drinking but eating and drinking.
    [​IMG]

Buzz's peerless hardwood supply had good coals going by this point, and the superb cook-grate welded up by Joey was lowered into position

All the while manly wood splitting goes on
    [​IMG]

Enthusiasm
    in the 3rd worst night since Noah's ark went mobile
    [​IMG]

From somewhere in the forest this gazoonie crawled out-- he smelled the rum no doubt
    [​IMG]

I'm sure glad Jerry had that Keltec-- this fucker was just plain spooky
    [​IMG]
    He did'nt get along with SDH at all.

More suffering
    [​IMG]
    (BTW: that's the exact same face he made when he was dropped from the Hawtshoe Ride at SFII )

Elmer Fudd decides to chop some wood in the dark with a little Cap'n in him...
    [​IMG]

...while the bloodthirsty judges prepare their votes
    [​IMG]

Oscar prepares the zombie-brains that Kuntz had shot at the firepit the night before. Kim looks for a place to hurl

[​IMG]

Enter angel Eloy with the Dutch Ovens.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even more suffering
    [​IMG]

adding in the veg. Sanjoh provided a bunch of ingredients for this stew, including that good Andouille in there :tb Thanks, John.
    [​IMG]

Third worst excellent dutch oven stew since the Dutch were invented

Hungry hippos lining up
    [​IMG]

I think it was KIm who made the uber corn bread :bow

here Mini tries to steal Buzz's slice
    [​IMG]

Yep, we were suffering mightily.

[​IMG]

Meal eaten and the FF's sated and happy, someone pointed out how shitty the weekend was turning out.

Stories and anecdotes ensue. We get Mini's head steaming with fond memories of '15 Minutes!'
    [​IMG]

Yeah, this whole gig sucked
  16. Hatch

Hatch We're not hitchhiking anymore, we're riding!

Oddometer:
    damn yall, glad I couldnt make it, looks like shitty times!:photog

whens the next one, just so I know when to make sure im busy doin other stuff.:deal
  17. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    Saturday AM, ANF:

The weather just sucked ass. It was so bad that i had to take the liner out of my jacket and run Buzz's DRZ around a bit in the lousy conditions
    [​IMG]
    Despite the formidable conditions, i bagged the now-traditional shot of a bike by the FH13 sign.

At one point Saturday morning this joy-riding hobo guy ran out of the woods and jumped on Shaun's KTM200
    [​IMG]

Buzz finally collared him and took his beer away. One shame-faced hobo
    [​IMG]

I think it's the bad weather that brings these folks out of the woodwork :nod
  18. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    Saturday afternoon, ANF:

Somehow we mustered the spirit to go for a little ride. An Eloy ride :evil Eloy and i had a good sense of where we rode last year and soon we were on the exact same trails. Give props to the $raingauge$ guys, there was mas water in the swamp.
    [​IMG]

the roots were the biggest bitch
    [​IMG]

good to have friends.

Dick was ready to click his heels 3 times and be anywhere but there

[​IMG]

Inept tells Eloy there's a 5$ bill back in the swamp with his name on it...

[​IMG]

Nice, tough ride boys. A delightful little hell-bitch

We all made it back to camp wet and chillin' :vardy The fastest change into dry clothes in the history of clothes-changing happens

Tom's steaks, Dick's patties, and Bob's chicken arms hit the cook grate.

While the shizzle sizzles, the lads check Eloy's cam for hero (or not) shots
    [​IMG]

The food rocks, and the gang yacks waaay into the night w/ tales, shower confessionals, and road fibs.

The star-filled sky was just nasty. Horrible.

We cast Oscar off early Sunday and grudgingly get to breaking camp
    [​IMG]

Packed up, the camp is suddenly very quiet. The woods are glad to resume their peaceful sentry duty, but i'm a little down at the camp being packed up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damn good time, fellas

Soon again,

MRP
  19. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Third worst ride report since God invented the English language, Mug. :clap
  20. ny-wolcott

ny-wolcott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Summer-N. Catskills,NY; Winter-Ocala NF, FL
    You forgot to thank Buzz for bringing the diesel fuel - without which the fire would have never "turned the corner" on Saturday afternoon.

Overall, a really shitty w/e.