Angel Scooter tire?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by 87112, Sep 7, 2019.

1. 87112

87112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is anyone running these tires. I have it on my rear when the rear Diablo gave out at about 7500 miles which is quite good for a sporty soft tire. The Diablo were replaced by the Diablo Rosso Scooter which does not come in my stock rear size so I went with the Angel.

So far I like it but dont know its full potential since I dont have a matching front which still has a front Diablo on. It is certainly a stiff tire. Going around corners you have to give it more push vs the Diablos no question. IMG_20190905_192934.jpg
  2. 87112

87112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From the pic do you think next time I have enough room for a 150 tire. The tire in the pic is size 140.
  3. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    I assume by "Angel" you're talking about the Pirelli Angel.
    It reviews nicely and looks to be their answer to the Michelin CG, so less sporty than your worn out Diablo, but beyond that I don't know until I try it.
    Maybe next time I do the SYM's tires.
  4. 87112

87112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey. Tromper. I got the tire service at Sea Cycle Center. Got to support my local Seattle Scooter dealer.
  5. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one on the back of my xmax, about 1500 miles on it so far. I like it better that the Dunlop scootsmart it replaced, that was smoked in 3000 miles. The angel is starting to flatten in the middle already, but it spent the first 900 miles on interstate type roads in summer heat.
  6. Tromper

Oddometer:
    Hey Buelller how's the Angel do in the rain?

RE: Support your local shop..
    I had Ryan hook me up with the last set for the burger. I'm still riding CG's leftover from the Cannonball. The rear's getting worn but I have a ways to go on that yet.
  7. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not a lot of rain experience yet.
  8. 87112

87112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took the Forza out for the 1st time in the rain with the Angel today. Much more confident riding than when the Diablo rear was on. I wanted to keep on going regardless of the condition, that was not often the case with the Diablo, where I was looking foward to getting home in case of rain.
  9. greg531

greg531 greg531

Oddometer:
    New tires mostly have better rain grip than almost bald ones. I buy mostly Pirelli and Michelin scooter tires, since they are almost the same price as other brands, and I think they have more testing and newer technology put in them, like dual rubber compounds and innovative tread patterns. My city grips are a lot better than the Chinese tires that came with them, I wish that these Pirelli Angel's came out for sale in the USA sooner, as the rest of the world had them, I would have bought them, but we get them a year later, and with less sizes available. Now, if both companies would come out with a new 120/90/10 inch dual compound road tire available in the USA......
  10. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have Michelin Pilots on my Vespa, but the Pirelli Angel should be a good tire. It gets good reviews.
  11. Tromper

Oddometer:
    Yup, looks & sounds OK. I'm kinda hoping by the time I get around to new tires on a bike it'll fit that it's had some head to head reviews vs. the CG.
    I'd think since it was newer with the same purpose in mind it'd be a bit better, but the CGs work so well on the HD I'm reluctant to switch without a solid reason.

12. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a pair on my Malaguti F12 - which I really don't ride much. A couple of hundred miles on them, maybe. Nothing to report, really, but I like them so far.

Watch the mounting on the front - the tire tread is "backwards" from the rear. Direction is indicated on the sidewall for both "front" and "rear".
  13. cheapeto

cheapeto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks to OP!
    Yesterday, I was caught in flash rain storm, a short one really. It dumped hard while I was helping a friend out. It was raining when I left their house, moderately but not like some of the storms I've been forced to keep riding through as there was no where to get out of it.
    I don't know if the roads were extra slick, but my City Grips almost threw me down like 3 times in a short 7-8 miles ride home!!
    The first slide, the rear tire, let go of the grip, just as I going into a rather easy curve, so maybe the surprise of it, caused me to react badly or not proper for my scooter, but I did manage to stay upright.....not sure how.
    The car that was behind me way to close, backed off way back when I started going cattywampus.
    The next slide was also startling as I was expecting it, had slowed way down well before the curve, and halfway through it, the rear end started, sliding, and I could not keep in my lane, went over the yellow line into the oncoming traffic, that was alert to my plight, as I was fighting for control and getting to my side of the road.
    The last slide was, nothing like the first 2 and I did not feel out of control....just that whoa shit feeling.
    These tires are in excellent condition, and I learned years ago, to NOT run my tires down to what my state calls replaceable for inspection!
    I want lots of tread, so I'll pay up for that.
    Now I'll be able to check out these Angels, since I did not know about them and was very happy with CityGrips for years now.
    minimac likes this.
  14. Tromper

Oddometer:
    Glad ya made it through the storm cheapto.
    Please do give us a report on how they compare.

Around here I try to avoid the first half hour or so of rain since it brings all the oil to the top of the road surface.
    I have ridden in it of course (this is Seattle, rain happens) on a few bikes and different tires and found a similar lack of traction, even in cars at times.
    cheapeto likes this.
  15. Trucker jay

Trucker jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like oil or antifreeze on the road
    cheapeto likes this.
  16. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    When hydroplaning occurs, the tread has become unable to dump off the amount of water it encounters and is riding on a film of water, not the pavement itself.
    When that water contains much oil or antifreeze, as usually found in the first few minutes of a rain, things get dicey. The compound may not matter so much when those conditions occur as the tread has no contact and the tread pattern is all ya got other than gravity.

FWIW-In my area of KY we had far more rain last year(100 year record in fact) and this one too, early on, than even Seattle, but not lately. You guys might have that rain reputation but we get serious rain here, especially since the el nino thing came around??
    Now is my time to be really careful when it does finally rain here as the goop builds up on our curvy roadways.
    With scooter tires, the thing I notice most is a rock on the road seems to affect them more than a larger tire. The tire patch itself is very close to that of a MC though?
  17. cheapeto

cheapeto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you guys are right about the mobile juices on the roadway.
    That day (earlier) was about 85-90f and then the small storm blew through, and I left during the tail end of it, and it dropped the temperature down to a very nice 70.
    I'm not near as experienced as I need to be, first on 2 wheels, then more so in the rain. I knew enough to stay off the center of my lane.
    After the first slide, I should have pulled over on the side of the road, got myself back together, in my head, and proceeded cautiously.
    The next rain, I'm going back out and gather up some rain riding skills, as it just pisses me off when I let something rattle me.
    Here in the Appalachian foothills, a LOT of the secondary roads use those stones and tar for roadway covering, and they are as slippery dry, as a wet road, as kantuckid has said.
  18. Tromper

Oddometer:
    Don't sweat it. You made it. We've all been there or will be there some day.

In my, very hardcore and long term, experience the CG is a great rain tire, but the Angel is pretty new, & very obviously Pirelli's answer to the CG, so it may well be better.
    I honestly don't know and still have too much tread left on my light bike to swap at the moment.
    I may check with Ryan (who the OP bought his rear angel from) anyway since I have two identical bikes setup with CGs at the moment, but honestly I do have other things to spend on, particularly when the CGs do work well in my experience.

cheapeto likes this.
  19. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many miles on those tires and how old.? Either can contribute to traction problems.
  20. 87112

87112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took me forever to get used to the taller profile of the Angel vs a Diablo. Look at the pic, I had the 1st gen Diablo but it was not that different than the latest Rosso Diablo. It's more comfortable than the Diablo , requires just a bit more concentration if you plan to very very last second lean as far as you can in a fast mph turn. I am a fan. Straight line stability and road feel is excellent now that the tire is scrubbed in. I put 800 miles on it in I think 10 days. 21832466524294_152.jpg
    cheapeto likes this.