1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Angeles Forest (L.A.) Full Moon Ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by NSFW, Jun 30, 2008.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Expect to see this on the 18th....for you all nocturnal riders

[​IMG]

<TABLE class=tborder id=post7322721 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal">07-03-2008, 12:01 AM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" align=right> #17 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175>DannyG<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_7322721", true); </SCRIPT>
    Gnarly Adventurer

[​IMG]

Oddometer: 311

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_7322721><!-- message -->looks like i'm in..:wink: just on what bike???
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

We want to see the GS1150! The shadow of the of a big bike with jugs will spook a lot of night creatures..
  2. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
    I just hope u guy have ur stock mufflers on for this ride,EPA is crackin down on noctunal emissions:huh
  3. Oni

Oni Ronin

Oddometer:
    Why is the EPA worried about nocturnal emissions?

:viking :lol3
  4. NSFW

Oddometer:
    I thought EPA employees have a 9-5 jobs :bueller
  5. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
    7 days:clap
  6. NSFW

Oddometer:
    you mean 7 more moons to go...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and finally :clap
  7. Rustler

Rustler Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try to make this one. Newcombs at 7:00 pm?
  8. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    So whats the plan? :ear I'm thinking that Newcombs @ 7:pm sounds like a good idea. Grab some dinner & a beer:beer and head out around 8:pm.

The dirt will start about 1 mile north of Newcombs. It will be pretty much dirt from then on. If Razor is coming I'm sure we can work out a long and challenging ride for everyone. Sunday he showed us some great trial that linked up and connect all over the Santa Clara trail & Lynx's. (no need to ride a lot of slab)

If you are on the fence thinking about this ride, grab your nut sack and join us. This will be a great fun ride. You will be riding with a great group of guys that take care of each other and have a camaraderie for the the sport. The challange of riding at night is going to be new for me and i'm sure many others. Are rides are "go at your own pace!" we stop at all trail changes and turns so we won't lose anyone. So wipe the dirt off your head light and come out and play!
  9. Oni

Oni Ronin

Oddometer:
    We need Pasta with his big searchlights to ride behind us to light up the whole area. :deal
  10. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
    I heared dirt turns to sand at nite:evil
  11. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Last night was almost a full moon at 8 PM, this will just get bigger as the week wears out.

Plan A – I figured that this will give us the most dirt miles and allow us to warm up before the night ride.

6:30 PM - Meet at 7-11 on Oro Vista and Foothill Blvd (Sunland Blvd)

7 PM – Warm up run - Ride up on Big T to Lynx to Pacifico to AC to Newcomb, still daylight

8 PM - Dinner at Newcomb's and wait until it gets dark.

9 PM to Midnight<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>
    Back on AC to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Mt.</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Pacifico</st1:placeName></st1:place> and ride downhill, then stop for a break at the parking lot off AFH

Take Mt. Gleason and ride downhill on 4N24 (we normally go uphill on this one)<o:p></o:p>

Cut across Sito’s trail w/ water crossing (this time it will be east to west), my off-road map shows it as 4N25, but Google has it as a continuation of 4N24<o:p></o:p>
    Take a break by the power line steel structure and absorb some emf for the needed energy<o:p></o:p>
    Go uphill on 4N32/BPL (we normally go downhill on this one)<o:p></o:p>
    Stop for break at the junction 3N17 and BPL, 100 yards before the Ranger Station<o:p></o:p>
    Head west on 3N17/SCD and take a break or 2 along the way<o:p></o:p>
    Wait for everyone before we get to Little T at that wide open spot where we normally discover we have a flat tire (maybe 100 yards before you hit Little T)<o:p></o:p>
    Ride down on Little T to Osborne off the 210 and head home.

<o:p></o:p>

Basic rules we should keep in mind<o:p></o:p>
    This ride is not the same as the day time rides, we want to have some fun but safety must take precedence here. For most, this will be the first time out. This is more like an educational ride, and we need the experience in case in the future we have to ride in the dark on a dirt trail to get home or to help someone stranded in the middle of nowhere.<o:p></o:p>
    1. Good headlights and tail lights. Do not turn it off just to spook the guy behind you.<o:p></o:p>
    2. Wear high visibility jacket and pants, having reflectorized 3M panels will help.<o:p></o:p>
    3. Bring a flashlight in case of road side repair and other needs<o:p></o:p>
    4. Once we established the pecking order, know the guy in front and behind you. Do not break the chain.<o:p></o:p>
    5. Always check your side view mirror. Maintain a constant visual with the rider behind and in front of you. Keep the speed at a comfortable and safe level. Slow down once you loose the guy behind.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>After several night rides and once we all get used to night riding..........F#*@ the rules :boid </o:p>
  12. rsimpson

rsimpson Long Way OK?

Oddometer:
    noob on a big GS Adventure can do it? Talk me out of this one. Sounds like fun....
  13. bouncing billy

bouncing billy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope I can remember all the rules,I 'm the meat in a dunerat nowwhat sando,I'll bring rope and some carebeanner just in case.Since its dark should I wash the klr:lol3
  14. Oni

Oni Ronin

Oddometer:
    Does that mean we all have to ride at Dunerat speed? :1drink
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:
    If I'm GSing, I will skip Lynx.....BuenFeeling and Artboy have done the ride on their GSA and GS respectively in the daytime.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Today 01:18 PM</TD></TR><TR title="Post 7396397" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>bouncing billy</TD><TD class=alt2>I hope I can remember all the rules,I 'm the meat in a dunerat nowwhat sando,I'll bring rope and some carebeanner just in case.Since its dark should I wash the klr:lol3</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Leave the KLR alone, the paint might come off if you wash it.

And in the dark, we can tell if you're around by the smell your stinky tail pipe :lol3

[​IMG]

What were you cooking :pot ............beer that leak from the tail bag?
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Dunerat will be punished by the Thumper Gods if he disobeys the rules..just like what happened to Nowwhat on the way home....:pierce
  17. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
    I may be thumping it myself:wink: let see who jumps on that one first:lol3
  18. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Pussy!

[​IMG]
  19. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
    :poser :poser :poser :poser :poser :poser
  20. bouncing billy

bouncing billy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wasn't goona wash her,tillvisual inspection reveals dingle berries hanging from rear fender.No running light and left blinky no workyand no head lights either,wise ass cracks makes me have to start wrenching,if no lights I'll go joels speed with some candles duct taped to front and rear fenders and not mymbkemodelandmakeyadayadayada following close with some cracked modialas:lol3