Angola, it's not like they said.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by metaljockey, Sep 23, 2007.

1. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    So excellent! thank you for showing me a part of the world I would never see.
    econwatch likes this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amphib likes this.
  3. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I joined AdvRider a few years back this was the first ride report that I read through in one sitting. Just like a great novel you can’t put it down. I’ll be reading it again today.
    klaviator, Amphib and ricochetrider like this.
  4. lostname

lostname Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great reading. It got me goosebumps.
    klaviator, Amphib and ricochetrider like this.
  5. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this. Headed to Luanda tomorrow for work. Everybody in the office is like ‘poor you. What did you do to get this?’ Now I’m feeling better about it. I’ve always found preconceived notions about places to be flat wrong. Kind of like the second time I ever went overseas. To Poland twenty years ago. It was sort of the same thing. Everybody was like ‘what did he do to deserve being sent there?’ It couldn’t have been further from what I expected. Flowers blooming out of every crack in the mortar, unbelievable pretty girls, exceptionally nice people, and the lady at passport control who gave me the most genuine smile ever and said ‘welcome to Poland’. I hope Angola is the same surprise.
    DRglidarn likes this.
  6. Alexol

Alexol Chronic Farkoholic

Oddometer:
    South La., where I-10 has a curve. One curve.
    I haven't been there for about 4-5 years, but do NOT expect the same surprise in Luanda!

Don't know what it's like now and I understand prices have dropped very considerably but then it was hideously expensive (think $200+ for buffet breakfast for three in a decent hotel; $575 per night in a reasonable hotel) and not exactly safe or anything close to it.

Safe trip...
  7. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude

Oddometer:
    It’s still high. Not THAT high but high. I don’t care. The boss is paying. Besides, I’m only transitioning through Luanda for one night on my way to a power plant in Soyo. But nobody knows where Soyo is. So I say Luanda.
  8. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Chevron wasn't it, with a kark paint spec, piping was stuffed in a couple of years?:photog