Angola, it's not like they said.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by metaljockey, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Ausrad

Ausrad n00b

Oddometer:
    After 40 years of Moto ikon and many forums for different types of bikes I have owned I finally made it this site courtesy of another one. Thirteen years after it was written this report is still fresh and captivating the fantastic sense of adventure is excellently complemented by the astute observations of their people their culture and their attitudes to life. Absolutely fantastic. Hope all the guys involved are still biking and chalking up excellent adventures.
    nick_j, squadraquota, #1Fan and 5 others like this.
  2. Braapncamp

Braapncamp Panzer pilot

Oddometer:
    Words! I also remember this ridereport on top among most others, read it with passion when it was live. I'm also curious of what our fellow riders from this epic ride is up to and if they could sum up how their reflections are now with the time that has past.

Thanks for posting this reminder ! /Mattias Eriksson
  3. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    One of them decided to make it lifestyle :-)
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/mich...round-the-world.696647/page-123#post-40787083
  4. Braapncamp

Braapncamp Panzer pilot

Oddometer:
    steved57 likes this.
  5. GonzoDirtso

GonzoDirtso Lurker Supporter

Oddometer:
    This ride report is how I discovered ADV Rider!
  6. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    When I saw this report, I thought...Angola? These guys are crazy. Not what I expected. Awesome trip and story.
    klaviator and ricochetrider like this.
  7. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Angola
    This is the year to get as far-flung as possible and really push your travel limits. Legendary adventurer and MT Sobek cofounder Richard Bangs is just the guy to help you do it. In June, Bangs will lead the adventure outfitter’s first nine-day trek into one of the world’s most remote biospheres: the Angolan wedge of the UNESCO-listed Okavango Delta. Despite beginning and ending in neighboring Botswana, which draws eight times as many international visitors, this rare excursion explores oft-overlooked Angola via scenic helicopter tours, exhilarating boat safaris, and four-by-four game drives. Angola’s nascent tourism industry belies its many treasures, including a 500,000-acre reserve that’s home to the world’s largest remaining elephant herd and sub-Saharan wetlands where researchers from the Okavango Wilderness Project have identified dozens of new species. Travelers embed with National Geographic scientists studying the marshlands, track sitatunga antelope on a tribesmen-led bushwalk through the little-visited Cubango Reserve, and swim in pristine highland lakes that source three major rivers (the mighty Okavango, the Zambezi, and the Kwando). The trip wraps up with a flight over the hallowed battlefields where the Angolan Civil War was waged from 1975 to 2002—a sobering reminder that not long ago this land was truly off-limits. —Ashlea Halpern

Seems they are a little late to the party.
  8. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    It was recently the anniversary of one of the biggest battles in Angola, Cuito Cananvale, many on the Wold Dogs Forum in RSA were involved. It needs to be said that history is written by the political victors. The Cuban. ANC backed Angolan forces governments, including the ANC teach that it was a resounding victory against the South Africa forces. Not what those on the ground say, by a long shot.
    Johno33772, CdnGS, MZ5 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Yep
  10. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    I'm late to this party but what a story. Fuck war.
    ricochetrider likes this.
  11. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    It's true that this RR ranks (at least IMO) at the very top of the heap of all ride reports ever posted- or of all teh ones I ever read anyway. This wasn't my intro to ADVrider but it I read it pretty early on in my association with the site. Might have to go back and re-read the whole thing.
  12. BigStu

BigStu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    13 plus years later and it will still keep you on the edge of your seat. Thanks for the adventure and I think you(MJ) are right it was about the people
    Essbee likes this.
  13. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    I don't remember how I ended up here, but I just read this RR and am stunned. What a magnificent trip. Great writing, wonderful photos. Now to read more RRs from MJ and crew.

Thanks for a great read.

Does anyone have a copy of the .pdf? Was it ever fixed?

jdg
    steved57 likes this.
  14. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am watching a documentary, here in Acapulco, Mexico, about the war in Angola.
    It is refreshing, watching this from a different perspective. It was the biggest war in Africa since WW II. Here is just one of the examples that was shown on the program.

For example, I did not know that
    Jonas Malheiro Savimbi who was an Angolan revolutionary politician and military leader who founded and led the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola,
    went to President Reagan and asked for Stinger missiles. This weapon was highly restricted and not even the Saudis had access to them. Reagan said ok. Subsequently, Savimbi's revolutionaries started shooting down Soviet backed, Angolan military jets.

Anyway, we have this sketchy, short cut near our condo here in Acapulco. When Michnus. and Elsbie came to visit I named it the Doodsaker with their permission of course.
    I will always look at this shortcut with a different point of view after watching the documentary.
    theailer likes this.
  15. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Some weird shit that went on there Cubans Russians everybody had their dirty paws all over that conflict
  16. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The documentary delved into all that.
  17. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    youtube documentary or? any info will be useful, I saw one a few years ago where Pik Botha gave his insights into the matter
    Grynch likes this.
  18. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was on this Network.

TV UNAM is an educational television network owned and operated by the National Autonomous University of Mexico in Mexico City. Programming on TV UNAM generally consists of educational telecourse programs for UNAM students, plus public affairs, documentary and cultural programming.

I will try to find it.