Angst in the Alvord or some such thing

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by knary, Dec 12, 2005.

1. RECON

RECON Guit Sum

Oddometer:
    cool! what time are you estimating making it to the camping spot?
  2. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    kinda depends on what we find out past hart mt. but for sure before dark - 7pm would be great, maybe earlier.
  3. RECON

RECON Guit Sum

Oddometer:
    dayum, guess I better get my butt out of bed in the am!

See ya in camp!
  4. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    FPUS55 KBOI 151502 AAA
    ZFPBOI

ZONE FORECASTS FOR SOUTHWEST IDAHO/SOUTHEAST OREGON...UPDATED
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BOISE ID
    902 AM MDT THU JUN 15 2006

UPDATED LESS CHANCE OF RAIN TODAY IN ALL ZONES

SPOT TEMPERATURES ARE FOR TODAY...TONIGHT...AND FRIDAY.

IDZ011-160530-
    WEST CENTRAL MOUNTAINS-
    902 AM MDT THU JUN 15 2006

UPDATED

.REST OF TODAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH ISOLATED RAIN SHOWERS. PATCHY
    FOG EARLY IN THE MORNING. CHANCE OF SHOWERS 20 PERCENT. HIGHS
    58 TO 69.
    .TONIGHT...DECREASING CLOUDS. ISOLATED RAIN SHOWERS IN THE
    EVENING. CHANCE OF SHOWERS 20 PERCENT. LOWS 36 TO 47.
    .FRIDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY IN THE MORNING...THEN PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A
    20 PERCENT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON. WARMER.
    HIGHS 68 TO 79.
    .FRIDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN
    SHOWERS. LOWS 41 TO 55.
    .SATURDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN
    SHOWERS. HIGHS 68 TO 79.
    .SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 37 TO 52.
    HIGHS 68 TO 81.
    .MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A 20 PERCENT
    CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS. LOWS 40 TO 54. HIGHS 68 TO 79. </pre>
  5. Motoplaner

Motoplaner PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer:
    Yea and I'm pretty bummed about missing this. Fuckity fuck.
  6. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    Enough waiting: I'm leaving now.

I know a good long-cut that should get me there right on time.

[​IMG]
  7. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    Hey Motoplaner,

I just looked at my last post, and it seemed kind of rude coming right after your post about not being able to make it.

Sorry you are laid up- get well soon. I was hoping to put faces with all the names in this thread- maybe another time.

Heal fast and remember to lift your beer with the other arm.

Mort
  8. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
  9. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:

well put this on your calendar 9-22 . . . 9-28 - the fall ride!!!!

we'll hoist one for ya! keep healin'
  10. Motoplaner

Oddometer:
    Are you kidding me? Your last post was a nice service pertinent to culminating events. Ya'll have a good'n. I'll be out there soon.
  11. Motoplaner

Oddometer:
    I'm markin' it dood. Have fun.
  12. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same place? Tell us that had to bail a little more so we can mark our calanders and tell the boss to take a flying leap. This sounds like a blast and I would love to ride the area with people that have done this before.
  13. idahojoe

idahojoe shut up and ride

Oddometer:
    Bike and girl are packed, I'm outta here...see you on the playa
  14. wibby

Oddometer:
    Better late than never!

Worked on putting wheel and tire back on 'til 3 am

Got six hours sleep, packed, and have a belly full of Sushi

Ready to roll, might make it just outside of Lakeview before dark... UGH!:wink:
  15. wibby

Oddometer:
    I left the house at 3:30pm Friday and made the Alvord by Midnite:clap

Darkness set in Just outside of Plush in the Hart Mountains

Gravel at night with suicidal bunnies was pretty scarey at times but I made it and still have all my turn signals!:clap

Luckily Wachs and a few of his buddies were still up at camp when I arrived

They offered me a beer and we watched the moons rise (yeah I said moons):wink: :freaky

I did not go on the big ride, I was low on fuel and I needed to visit my Dad, His ashes are up near Seneca, on Wolf Mtn.

I planned on returning to the Alvord that night but the ride was much longer than I expected

I camped instead, near Drewsy and rode home today...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More pics: https://wibby.smugmug.com/gallery/1577821/1/76330259
  16. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    I got back home Sunday a little after 7 PM. I am still catching up on matters neglected from being gone (I haven't even washed my bike yet.) I'll try to collect my thoughts and post something later.

I just wanted to say now that I had a good time and was glad to meet those of you that I managed to find. Maybe I can meet the others on another trip.
  17. wibby

Oddometer:
    How'd you like that f'n gravel road on your bike Mort?

That had to suck! :eek1
  18. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    That first, mushy stretch out of Fields scared the hell out of me,:eek1 but it broke me in fast, so the rest didn't seem so bad. Riding up the rutted two-tracks (one to the wrong camp and one to the right camp) was uh... interesting.:1drink
  19. wibby

Oddometer:
    It sure sucked riding that section at night

I almost dumped it going up to camp. I was just too tired to steer clear of the ruts
  20. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    For six months, I had anticipated the Angst in the Alvord ride. I had been through the area before, but only on the pavement. I knew nothing of the local dirt and gravel roads, and I had never seen Alvord Lake. I saw this ride as a chance to not only learn more about this corner of the state, but also as a chance to meet some fellow Advriders.

I had made a reservation at Fields Station Motel for Friday the 16th, but by Wednesday night I had waited long enough and decided to leave Thursday morning taking a long route to get there (certainly not far enough to be The Long Way Round, but no short-cut either.) My 9 o'clock departure (which I knew would be 10,) took place at 11 AM. With my usual punctuality, I was off and gone, with a smile on my face.

[​IMG]

All was good and the road was dry until I got just past Sandy; there the pavement turned wet. I caught up with the rain at Wemme, and at Rhododendron I stopped to secure watertight integrity, and had lunch as well.

By the time I had finished lunch, the rain had stopped but the road was still wet. I got a bath in road spray and intermittent mist until I got off Mount Hood. At Pine Grove the sky looked good, so off came the rain gear, and I headed for Maupin and Bakeoven Road.

Bakeoven Road is a very nice ride that snakes its way up the hillside over Maupin and then opens out to lonely straight stretches and gentle curves, ending at Shaniko. I took a break and got a Post Office Pic at Shaniko. [By the way, if you have a picture of your bike at a local post office, post it here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143102]

[​IMG]

Leaving Shaniko, I took another straight, curvy, snaky (well, I guess this describes mostly all the roads for the rest of the trip) road to Antelope, and on through Clarno, Fossil, gas at Spray, and then... road construction.

This obstacle was not all bad: eight other bikes were waiting for the Pilot Car, and I pulled up next to a guy on a KTM 950. I am interested in this model, so I took the opportunity to get his opinion (he loved it, of course.) The Pilot Car came and we were off on a slow ride on the freshly oiled road through Kimberly to Picture Gorge, of which I did not get a picture, but the name says it all.

The group had dispersed by the time I reached John Day, but I found many (MANY) more bikes there: BMW riders were holding rally there and I was lucky to get a motel room. Before I had left town the next day, I met up again with two of the riders from the construction group. They were both on KTMs, so of course we had to talk some more. They turned out to both be Advriders. One was Trask-To-Dakar and the other didn't give his screen-name. Both were friendly guys- this forum is great.

Friday the 16th, on to Burns and points beyond:

I gassed in Burns and checked my directions.

On this street,

[​IMG]

I found no anxious souls, so continued on to this intersection.

[​IMG]

Down the road, up the hill, over the top, and behold! The Playground:

[​IMG]

I took in some local attractions on the way:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frenchglen for lunch,

[​IMG]

then on to more fun. Wide open spaces, here you can go 55mph.

[​IMG]

But, watch out! Even the Great Wide Open has its hazards:

[​IMG]

At this point, I have taken enough side trips that at about 10 or 15 mi. before Fields, my fuel gauge is flashing. I know this gives me about 40 mi. until empty, but being in the middle of nowhere I still am nervous. To my relief, I pull into Fields with fuel to spare (a little, anyway.)

[​IMG]

I check in and settle into my room at a little after 2 PM. I still have time to blast down to Denio and back before anyone else is expected to show up, but I am kind of beat so I kick back in my room and read for a while.

A little after 3, I hear a bike pull up outside and look out to see a V-Strom out front. I walk out to see if it is an Advrider, and sure enough he introduces himself as RECON. We talk for a while about the ride, the weather, motorcycles in general, and V-Stroms and KTM 950s in particular. I notice that he is nine feet tall and suggest that a 950 S model might be a good fit for him. A little more chat, and he went into the restaurant for a milkshake (by the sign on the wall, he buys the 1691st. one.) I join him later and order a hamburger.

The food is good and the service friendly. Tom and Sandy Downs run a good business with all the essentials: food, gas, diesel, lodging, Cold Beer, Whiskey, and munchies.

Fields Station
    Fields, Oregon 97710
    (541) 495 2275
    sldowns56@hotmail.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But, don't break down here.

[​IMG]

RECON took off for camp at about 5 PM, and I followed at about 6. The gravel road out of Fields had been freshly reworked and was mushy enough to make me very uneasy, especially considering that this was my first ride of any distance on gravel on a bike this size. But, after a few miles the surface firmed up and I began to relax. I didn't know whether my new confidence was well founded, but I soon found myself going 70- er, I mean 55mph.

[​IMG]

A few more miles yet, and there it was: Alvord Lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[More to come.]