Angst in the Alvord or some such thing

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by knary, Dec 12, 2005.

1. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:

OK
  2. RideAbout

RideAbout Mentally Retired

Oddometer:

That was us... and we found the plate! The wild horses were beautiful to watch. I usually see that group out near Coyote Lake.
  3. wachs

Oddometer:

found the plate? yes, nice one!
  4. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Having avoided Hwy 20, I was now on Hwy 26, a much nicer ride. But I have ridden 26 many times, and also it is not as deserted as I would like. So, at Mount Vernon I turned north on Hwy 395, unsure of what turn I would take next (my favorite style of planning.) In Long Creek I found the price of gas to be very reasonable.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, the station was out of business.

I had never been on the road from Long Creek to Kimberly- what better reason to go?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Stopped in Monument on the way. (Don't forget to Go Postal.) http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143102

[​IMG]

On to Kimberly. (How often do you see a blue bridge?)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hwy 19 back to 26 and on to Mitchell. Everywhere I went, I found motorcycles.

[​IMG]

Business are starting to cater to them. I found a place in Mitchell that specializes in home furnishings for KTM 950 S owners.

[​IMG]

From Mitchell, I took 207 back to 19, Fossil, Condon, Moro, Grass Valley, and then on the very nice 216 to Tygh Valley.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

From Tygh Valley, more bends on Wamic Market Road/White River Road, to Hwy 26, and on home. Along the way I found one more minor casualty: a nut had come off, and my turn signal was swinging in the breeze.

[​IMG]

I got home a little after 7 PM, not as stiff nor as dusty as I had expected. Even the bugs were few for a four-day trip.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In all, I had a very good trip: I got to see the Alvord, got to meet some of my fellow Advriders, learned to ride a large bike on a loose surface, and carved a few corners on the way. What more could I ask?

Now I will sit back and wait to hear of the Real Adventure.

OK wachs, let's hear Tales of the Dirty Side. :ear
  5. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
  6. wachs

Oddometer:
    hey there all,
    started a NO Angst thread in ride reports. gonna move over there, great links to come. please add to if you have the time.

wachs
  7. wachs

Oddometer:

hey Mort - that old guy just wants to get some money - there's no way they'll let the fella start digging out there and if he did get the OK to quarry he'd be forced to create his own access to and from the east. there's a road to the top of Paulina peak that you could ride your bike up. it's dirt, but it's short and fairly smooth. I've been told it's the highest maintained road in the state but I don't know for sure. it's a great view though and you can see all that land from up there.
  8. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I guess I'm just a worry wart.
  9. Motoplaner

Motoplaner PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer:
  10. nwgs

nwgs Danned

Oddometer:

I'm not getting it but I'm gona find out. Oh yes, I'm gona find out.

:kumbaya
  11. pebowles

pebowles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I could not read thru this whole thread, (if I am repeating) but I want you all to know that the Whitehorse Ranch is taking guests these days (May 2008). It's an easy road in and out, gravel, graded, a streetbike (maybe not a chopper or race bike) can do it easily. You stay in simple semi-private lodgings, eat hearty food with cowboys, go to bed and wake up early in some of the most pristine places imaginable. Well worth a visit. Not a "first date" place, if you intend to pack a female along. BYOB.